Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drury Panthers

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hesser's teams typically start the season slow and finish strong. The National Championship team even started the season slow at 8 and 4. Combining this fact with the very late start to this season without a full roster has resulted in some very ugly losses. Now they are on a four game winning streak and are in the thick of the postseason race.
    Drury has some very good young players that makes the future look very bright for this team if they all return next season.

    The Women may have their weaknesses exposed these next two games. Circumstances beyond their control has weakened this team after a very good start to the season.

    Paige Robinson is a very exciting player when she is on her game. She is a unique player in D2 with her length, range, and ball handling skills. It's a shame this is a shortened season because she will make a run at the record book at Drury.

    Comment


    • Paige Robinson's rankings in GLVC: ☆ 1st in points scored
      ☆ 5th in field goal percentage
      ☆ 2nd in 3 point percentage
      ☆ 3rd in 3 pointers made

      https://twitter.com/i/status/1360728251744845830

      Also:
      ☆ 4th in assists per game
      ☆ 8th in assists to turnovers
      ☆ 6th in blocked shots per game
      ☆ 8th in steals
      ☆ recorded 1 triple double
      ☆ and 2 double doubles

      Comment


      • The WAC is a lower level D1 conference but it's still impressive that Molly Miller's Grand Canyon team is leading the nation in turnovers forced and steals.

        She has always overachieved on the recruiting trail. Once she has her recruits filling the roster they will get National recognition.

        GCU has a lot to offer recruits, including a great game atmosphere that is second to few in D1.

        Comment


        • The Lady Panthers went up against a Lewis team that is number four in the conference power rating and won 100 to 57, shooting 62% from the field and turning the Flyers over 28 times.

          Drury was missing yet another important player today as Kelsey Winfrey sat out.

          The objective all season has been to persevere. So far so good as they sit at 14-1 after enduring multiple players out of the lineup all season and a 22 day covid break in January.

          Coach of the year will be between Amy Eagan and Theo Dean unless upsets happen in the tournament.

          Comment


          • The Lady Panthers keep winning big despite not having much of a bench left. Kelsey Winfrey, one of the best defenders in the conference is the latest to go down as she hasnt played in three games.

            There are some talented guards in this league and Paige Robinson is one of them. Against UIS, Drury was in foul trouble the whole game and was only up 14 in the middle of the fourth when she hit a nothing but net three off of a full run on a fast break. Her vertical leap combined with her length made the defender look like a little kid. The USI announcer gushed "That was cold blooded! This kid needs to shoot more". I really hope someone from Drury makes a clip of that shot.

            Comment


            • This is one season where every player on every team deserves a participation trophy as everyone had obstacles with Covid, some more than others. This includes the Lady Panthers who missed much of the pre-season and 22 days in January because of the protocol.

              After competing with a compromised roster all season, Drury ended the (ir)regular season winning four games in seven days, and in three of those games, held their opponent to under 60 points. The last game, the Lady Panthers scored 93 points without any points from the depleted bench.

              I say all that to say this: Coach Eagan deserves to be named GLVC Coach of the Year after maintaining the winning tradition of the Lady Panthers with a 17-1 record in the (ir)regular season.

              Praying all are well.

              Comment


              • The coach of the year criteria in this conference is hard for me to figure out. Coach Smith at Lewis is obviously a good coach though.

                Did her team show improvement over the previous season? Lewis finished 13-8 this season after finishing 19-12 last season.

                Did her team exceed preseason expectations? Lewis was picked for second in the East receiving five first place votes. And finished second in the East standings.

                And the all important blending of game performance with degree of difficulty. Lewis missed only one game and that was because of another team's quarantine. Their season box score doesn't show a shortage of players over the season. When Drury beat Lewis by 40 two weeks ago, Smith was still playing two five player platoons.

                The men's coach whose team performed the best this season won the Coach of the Year award but this criteria didnt apply for the women's side.

                Again, what is the criteria?

                Comment


                • Not only did they pass on Amy Eagan, but also Theo Dean.

                  A mystery for sure.

                  Comment


                  • Amy Eagan should have been named GLVC Coach of the Year.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by crazznewt View Post
                      Amy Eagan should have been named GLVC Coach of the Year.
                      I wouldn't have had a problem with Amy being named COY, but I'd make the counter argument that Theo Dean should have been named GLVC Coach of the Year.
                      • Truman's schedule was unbelievably harder than DU's this year, as evidenced by the NCAA's weekly reports of strength of schedule for regional ranking consideration.
                      • Only 50% (9 of 18) of Drury's games played were against teams that finished .500 or better. Meanwhile, 76% (13 of 17) of Truman's schedule came against teams .500 or better, including 7 of 8 road games in which they went 7-1.
                      • Truman's three losses were all to teams that were 9th or better in the conference's final PRS. Drury's was at home to a team that lost 12 games and was well below .500.
                      Both teams dealt with lengthy COVID stoppages both pre- and in-season. Both teams dealt with short rotations due to injuries. Truman had a COVID opt-out from an incredibly important player from a year ago (Maddie Re). (I don't know if anyone on DU's roster opted out, so I can't compare that). The makeup of the two teams was really incredibly similar if you step back and take a look at it.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post

                        I wouldn't have had a problem with Amy being named COY, but I'd make the counter argument that Theo Dean should have been named GLVC Coach of the Year.
                        • Truman's schedule was unbelievably harder than DU's this year, as evidenced by the NCAA's weekly reports of strength of schedule for regional ranking consideration.
                        • Only 50% (9 of 18) of Drury's games played were against teams that finished .500 or better. Meanwhile, 76% (13 of 17) of Truman's schedule came against teams .500 or better, including 7 of 8 road games in which they went 7-1.
                        • Truman's three losses were all to teams that were 9th or better in the conference's final PRS. Drury's was at home to a team that lost 12 games and was well below .500.
                        Both teams dealt with lengthy COVID stoppages both pre- and in-season. Both teams dealt with short rotations due to injuries. Truman had a COVID opt-out from an incredibly important player from a year ago (Maddie Re). (I don't know if anyone on DU's roster opted out, so I can't compare that). The makeup of the two teams was really incredibly similar if you step back and take a look at it.
                        First, Using the word unbelievable to describe anything to do with the GLVC schedule this year is laughable.
                        ▪︎Drury beat PRS number 3 Southern Indiana by 29. Truman split in close games with the Eagles.
                        ▪︎Drury beat PRS number 4 Lewis by 43.
                        ▪︎Speaking of the PRS, Drury was first.
                        ▪︎Truman lost to Lindenwood two weeks after Drury beat them by 41.

                        Speaking of Covid, the second and third stint, Drury was out three weeks. The Rockhurst loss was a direct result of that layoff. No excuses, just a fact.

                        Yes, there was a player that couldn't play that would have been an impact player in Mia Henderson. She played on a team full of great players last season and was set to make an impact this year like some of her current teammates have. Drury has played most of the season with a grand total of 2 inside players because of this.

                        It's not surprising these two teams are similar in ways. But, they are so different in that Truman has great size and strength inside and Drury is still a fast team. Lots of major differences between the two teams.

                        I hope Drury can make it to the finals to play Truman. As a fan only, I hope to see this. This game could go either way.
                        Last edited by crazznewt; 03-03-2021, 11:17 AM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by crazznewt View Post
                          Amy Eagan should have been named GLVC Coach of the Year .
                          I agree. My point was that two coaches were passed over under the current criteria.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by UMSLguy View Post

                            I agree. My point was that two coaches were passed over under the current criteria.
                            I understood your point and agree.

                            Drury's girls have to put their warmups on one leg at a time like everyone else and can be upset by any team in this tournament.

                            The same does not apply to the Truman Men who I think is head and shoulders above everyone else at this point. The timing of Covid and injuries to other teams have set Truman up for an easier conference tournament run and hopefully through the regional. It would be cool to see a deep run for the 'Dogs as they are the only team (in their current state) capable of making a run.

                            I missed being able to watch the Rose kid for the Tritons, he is fun to watch.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by crazznewt View Post
                              as they are the only team (in their current state) capable of making a run.
                              I'm trying to be optimistic for the Eagles that they get a 3 seed, have an easier 6 seed first round to get their legs under them again, and use the home court advantage to propel them the rest of the way. It's a long stretch at this point with so many on the team currently on the sidelines (including the coach), but not an impossible task.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by schnautza View Post

                                I'm trying to be optimistic for the Eagles that they get a 3 seed, have an easier 6 seed first round to get their legs under them again, and use the home court advantage to propel them the rest of the way. It's a long stretch at this point with so many on the team currently on the sidelines (including the coach), but not an impossible task.
                                You are right! After getting smoked by SBU the first two games they played this season and coming off a two week quarantine, the Panthers took their 7 healthy players to Bolivar and upset the Bearcats. This is classic late season Hesser.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X