Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tell us a bit about your conference

The Northeast-10 is a group of mostly small-to-medium enrollment private schools (with one exception) in New England and New York. They are the only Division 2 conference that sponsors football in this geographic region. The football NE10 conference formed over 20 years ago as the Eastern Football Conference and for part of its life was a non-scholarship and non-playoff conference. Former members like Albany, Bryant, (and soon Merrimack) have moved to Division 1. Franklin Pierce will replace Merrimack in football in 2019.

The NE10 has always been in SR1 and until recently its champions sometimes had trouble even placing in the playoffs. Recent conference champions include Assumption, LIU-Post, American International, and New Haven. Bentley and Southern CT State have had success in the past as well.

New Haven was the smallest school by enrollment to play for the national championship in 1997, but that was as an independent (back when that was still a thing). New Haven also had the 1993 Harlon Hill winner, Roger Graham, but again it was as an independent.
    Last edited by cwfenn; 09-20-2018, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8ness97 View Post
      Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association is in SR2
      We have historically been in SR2, but we spent about a decade in SR1 since the conference extends from SC to PA.
      We are one of two Historically Black Colleges and University - based conferences in D-II
      Our most competitive teams are good to spring an upset or two every couple of years
      Sadly, we are normally considered towards the bottom in conference rankings, but we are improving every day.
      We are proud to have been a conference that competed in the National Championship game this decade
      Hoping to be the home of this year's Harlon Hill Winner
      Isn't the CIAA like one of the oldest conferences in the NCAA regardless of division? And I don't think the SIAC is far behind.

Comment

The NSIC is bloated for football, pretty solid schedule wise for everything else

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post
          The Northeast-10 is a group of mostly small-to-medium enrollment private schools (with one exception) in New England and New York. They are the only Division 2 conference that sponsors football in this geographic region. The football NE10 conference formed over 20 years ago as the Eastern Football Conference and for part of its life was a non-scholarship and non-playoff conference. Former members like Albany, Bryant, (and soon Merrimack) have moved to Division 1. Franklin Pierce will replace Merrimack in football in 2019.

The NE10 has always been in SR1 and until recently its champions sometimes had trouble even placing in the playoffs. Recent conference champions include Assumption, LIU-Post, American International, and New Haven. Bentley and Southern CT State have had success in the past as well.

New Haven was the smallest school by enrollment to play for the national championship in 1997, but that was as an independent (back when that was still a thing). New Haven also had the 1993 Harlon Hill winner, Roger Graham, but again it was as an independent.
          I think most of the DII schools can be described as small to Medium. How is the high school football in your region? There are a lot of DI conferences that overlap the GSC footprint but there are so many Great high school football programs in the southeast that we're still able to get pretty good talent, maybe that's not the case in your neck of the woods?

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
            The NSIC is bloated for football, pretty solid schedule wise for everything else
            It must be nice to have so many teams for football. The GSC has 13 schools but only 7 have football programs. If it weren't for a couple affiliates and instate rivals GSC teams would have a difficult time filling their schedules.

Comment

Here's the thing about football in the south and east compared to the west.. there are so few schools A. In your approximate area. B. Sponsor Football. And C. Are any good to make your sos go up...so conferences are forced to go big just so schools will meet their required games to be playoff eligible

Comment

Originally posted by boyblue View Post
                Isn't the CIAA like one of the oldest conferences in the NCAA regardless of division? And I don't think the SIAC is far behind.

Comment

It must be nice to have so many teams for football. The GSC has 13 schools but only 7 have football programs. If it weren't for a couple affiliates and instate rivals GSC teams would have a difficult time filling their schedules.

Yup. SIAC really helps out Valdosta, West GA and West AL.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
                    Here's the thing about football in the south and east compared to the west.. there are so few schools A. In your approximate area. B. Sponsor Football. And C. Are any good to make your sos go up...so conferences are forced to go big just so schools will meet their required games to be playoff eligible
                    I really like your final point, I always say Iron sharpens Iron. Playing good teams makes teams better.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8ness97 View Post
                      Yup. SIAC really helps out Valdosta, West GA and West AL.
                      I appreciate the history & legacy of the SIAC but I really wish we could snag an Albany State or a Tuckasegee, I believe either or both would do well in the GSC

Comment

I appreciate the history & legacy of the SIAC but I really wish we could snag an Albany State or a Tuckasegee, I believe either or both would do well in the GSC
                        I'm hopeful that Savannah State is able to turn the page with their return to D2, and field some competitive teams in the SIAC and Region.

Comment

The SIAC was founded in 1913
                          The SIAC consist of 13 schools from six states. Only 10 schools play football, however Savannah State will come back to conference in 2019.
                          Only two of the founding schools have held continuous membership in the conference: Tuskegee and Clark College (Now Clark Atlanta)
                          Since the 2000's Tuskegee and Albany State have been the best overall teams in football, with Fort Valley State and Miles becoming more competitive within the conference as late.

Comment

I always like playing out of conference games, to see how the team stacks up. Surprised we still haven't played any GSC school during the regular season since we've eligible for the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by SkegeeGrad151 View Post
                              I always like playing out of conference games, to see how the team stacks up. Surprised we still haven't played any GSC school during the regular season since we've eligible for the playoffs.
                              Skegee vs Valdosta would be a more competitive home & home but those two in state rivalries are ok.

Comment

From a national perspective, the MIAA has two members, Northwest Missouri State and Pittsburg State. Between us we've been in 12 of the past 20 championships, winning 7 of them. We're in the midwest. We used to get a Bye in the playoffs being paired up with the LSC, but now have to play Grand Valley State. Our league took a year off last year to focus on academics and facility improvements. We have associate members in the conference that field teams during the regular season.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X