• Show
Clear All

• Psycho
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Herb Street
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Agreed but how much less could they be taxing their students if they dropped football down to FCS?
    ...or D3?

Leave a comment:

• catatonic
    replied
    Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

Nicholls State went to the playoffs the past two seasons and making it to the second round last year. I think they came close to beating Georgia a few seasons back as well.

Leave a comment:

• catatonic
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wildcat Khan
    replied

Agreed but how much less could they be taxing their students if they dropped football down to FCS?
    It wouldn't surprise me if GNAC schools pay more on travel for football than do Big Sky or Pac-12 schools. First is that trip to SFU, but that really isn't adding on much. The difference is the GNAC schools having to play multiple games in Texas starting next year, although this year WOU does have two trips to Texas. It is hard to find close teams to play when there is a state buffer between any of your schools and out of conference teams and all 4 are in different states/provinces.

I know this isn't the case on the East Coast, but it is the reality of D2 football now on the Pacific Ocean.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

D2 is taxing students every bit as much as the rest...
    MSU-Mankato isn't. I was just at a meeting on Wednesday. I didn't get an exact figure but they are no where near charging the students the max. If they did they could have about a million and a half more revenue.

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied

I suppose that would depend on how much more their budget is, how manym students there are, and how many more donation dollars are rolling in

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

D2 is taxing students every bit as much as the rest...

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

The state of Michigan couldn't care less what GVSU does for athletics. They barely give GVSU any money and Division I athletics is generally funded by donations as well as fees built into tuition. GVSU's decision to stay in D2 was strictly made within.
    GV gets $70 million a year from Michigan to operate. That's before state student aid and state funded building projects. Significantly less than the flagships but that's life for a regional state school.

Leave a comment:

• CalifOKRA
    replied
    Originally posted by '89HOG View Post
    Nicholls State University in Louisiana should definitely be a DII school. As broke as the state of LA is, I can't understand how this school can afford the requirements needed to be in the FCS. Although McNeese has had more recent success in football, they could be a candidate for D2.
    Nicholls is a former GSC school. Both schools you mentioned, of course, would fit perfectly in the GSC footprint.

Leave a comment:

• LSC Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by '89HOG View Post
    Nicholls State University in Louisiana should definitely be a DII school. As broke as the state of LA is, I can't understand how this school can afford the requirements needed to be in the FCS. Although McNeese has had more recent success in football, they could be a candidate for D2.
    Nicholls State went to the playoffs the past two seasons and making it to the second round last year. I think they came close to beating Georgia a few seasons back as well.

Leave a comment:

• '89HOG
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cwfenn
    replied
    Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post

Maybe they hope to fill the void left by UCONN if they decide to cut football lol

Leave a comment:

• BeachinLaker
    replied
    Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post

Just curious has Cal Berkley and/or UCLA ever done anything to prevent UC Davis from rising to their level athletically?

I know some states have legally blocked lower level public universities from moving up divisions in NCAA, pretty much allowing only the state's flagship schools to be the only major D1 presence. I feel that over the years Grand Valley State is constantly mentioned as a D2 school that could easily transition to D1 but the state of Michigan won't allow them to do so. Same thing with Wisconsin-Whitewater in D3.
    The state of Michigan couldn't care less what GVSU does for athletics. They barely give GVSU any money and Division I athletics is generally funded by donations as well as fees built into tuition. GVSU's decision to stay in D2 was strictly made within.

Leave a comment:

• Supercal95
    replied
    Everyone in the MEAC and SWAC barely have any money. The NEC I believe does not have the full 63 scholarships, and have stadiums the size of D2 ones. Morehead State is in the PFL despite being in the OVC for other sports. For non-football, the entire WAC except NMSU and GCU are D2 material, in fact that conference is basically putting a lot of schools in debt and killing off western D2 in an attempt to stay afloat, Nearly all of the low-majors should go down to D2, except the Ivies and NDSU and the like. Chasing a pipe-dream, or being stubborn, it is not the place for small, regional universities to pretend to have extra money (by blowing student fees everywhere). Yes, it would happen in D2 as well but at least they would be closer to living within their means. All D2 versus D3 still allows for a scholarship to reward a player for their efforts, which they should get.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X