Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UWFMubbish View Post
    Here's an article on the relationship FSU has with the Seminole Tribe of Florida
    Good article on what seems to be a mutually beneficial arrangement. Also confirms the scholarship program that is an amazing opportunity for college age tribal members.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

WRONG! Vulcan is associated with oil based products and as we know, oil is evil and the destroyer of worlds. Every mention of anything associated with oil must be eradicated. Sorry but the Vulcan's will just have to come up with another nickname!!
      What about the Vulcans in Star Trek? They are very offended by the use of the name for a mascot by the humans, but just show no emotion about it! LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

What about the Vulcans in Star Trek? They are very offended by the use of the name for a mascot by the humans, but just show no emotion about it! LOL
        Hahahahaha...I'm sure there will be a group of pissed off journalists and "social justice warriors" that will be happy to demand the name change FOR them...JUST LIKE WITH THE REDSKINS!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Good article on what seems to be a mutually beneficial arrangement. Also confirms the scholarship program that is an amazing opportunity for college age tribal members.
          Redskins had a tribal initiative that gave about $7M to various tribes several years ago. Money was used to build reservation infrastructure as well as provide college schollys and low interest business loans to tribal members across the country. Can't say it bought any new support among the tribes but I would note that 90% of the NA population already liked and supported the name Redskins and took great pride in the team that bore that name. Not enough as a collection of journalists and activists still found offense and forced the name change "for" the NA's (hummm...Were have we heard about a collection of largely white people deciding what is best for NA's without their input??!!).

Comment

No worry I had an opportunity to mine meld with Spock's great grandfather recently and he said all citizens of the planet VULCAN are aware of the use and fully support it. They're a bit confused about why CALIFORNIA is in PENNSYLVANIA, which he pointed out isn't logical, but that discussion is ongoing.

Comment

No worry I had an opportunity to mine meld with Spock's great grandfather recently and he said all citizens of the planet VULCAN are aware of the use and fully support it. They're a bit confused about why CALIFORNIA is in PENNSYLVANIA, which he pointed out isn't logical, but that discussion is ongoing.
              I bet he's also a bit confused when you took him for a drive on a parkway and parked in the driveway. His son though is an ambassador and good to know they okay with the team name. I believe the ambassador was in Montana on a recent trip to earth if the documentary about first contact was accurate.

Comment

The case of the SEMINOLES, the tribe not the FB team, is IMO unique. They are a small, around 2,000, tribe spread throughout 6 reservations in Fla. They seem, from my very uneducated eye, to have themselves in a comfortable position. I don't know what agreement they have with FSU but I think I've heard that they don't have an issue with the use of the mascot. I would like to know if they are compensated in any way. It would seem at the very least that a full ride for any tribe member who applies and qualifies would be a good start. Anyone have any info ?
                I'll look into it this afternoon. I've heard some things about FSU, but not from a good enough source.

Comment

Another interesting situation, albeit not related to mascots - the University of Minnesota - Morris is built on the grounds of a residential school, and even maintains one of the original buildings. When the school was closed, the land was transferred to the state under the agreement that indigenous students be admitted free of charge. The original school that took the place of the boarding school no longer exists, but the agreement is still honored.

https://morris.umn.edu/native-americ...morris/waivers

The campus of Minnesota West in Pipestone is also built on the grounds of a former boarding school and they own an original building as well, although there is no agreement there as far as I'm aware.

Comment

• Everyone likes to talk about win-win.
                    What about this solution to the DC football team mascot?
                    Remove all of the Native American logos and replace them with images of potatoes, like Mr Potato Head!
                    They would be called the Washington Red Skin Potatoes!
                    Don't need to change the name of the name of their fight song, etc.

Please don't cancel me. Just a modest attempt at satire and levity.

Click image for larger version

Name:	87750005.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	521514

Comment

Already used by California University of PA.

Comment

• Not the NFL, but it's a pro football story. The CFL's Edmonton Eskimos dropped their mascot and are considering a new team name.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ns/5481602002/

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Already used by California University of PA.
                          Also U of Hawaii-Hilo uses it. In '14-'15 season, CAL BAPTIST WBB became the ONLY SCHOOL to ever lose a game to BOTH schools using the VULCANS mascot.

Comment

• There will not be a new name for the Washington Football Team for the 2020 season. They will just be the Washington Football Team.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
                              There will not be a new name for the Washington Football Team for the 2020 season. They will just be the Washington Football Team.
                              Gold numbers on helmet, hearkens back a long ways there or to Alabama football.

Comment

Gold numbers on helmet, hearkens back a long ways there or to Alabama football.
                                I'm surprised at the number of people who are surprised that they aren't putting a name on the team right away. Those things take time- the marketing, making merchandise, etc. I'm assuming that they've taken the old stuff off of the market- several sites have.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X