Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This year's Olympics, will you be watching?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This year's Olympics, will you be watching?

As in past years, I have been looking forward to watching the upcoming Olympics, where different contestants from around the world represent their countries with pride and honor. I too always felt a sense of pride seeing the stars and stripes being presented with our national anthem being played during the medal ceremonies as our US contestants receive bronze, silver or gold.

I really hope this year's Olympics aren't hijacked during different segments by self glorifying arrogant contestants which place themselves way above the rest of the country. Yes, the same country which help fund their training, travel, and opportunity. The same country which allows it's citizens much more freedom and opportunities for all of it's citizens than any other country on earth. Please keep in mind that some other countries would not only severely punish (or worse) it's contestants, but also their family, if they dared to do anything which remotely resembled dishonor of their flag or anthem.

I still plan on watching the Olympics, and I hope it turns out to be a great competition. However, if a few contestants lose sight of the big picture and would rather turn the games into a me, me, look at me sheet show, this will be the year I change channels to something without silly self-centered immature distractions.

I'm looking forward to watching the USA Eagles in Rugby 7s competition. Track & Field is always a must see for me. And I'll be following Baseball as well (Mike Scioscia former Dodgers catcher and Angels manager is the USA team manager in these games). I've always enjoyed the Olympics, both Summer and Winter.

https://sports.nbcsports.com/2021/06...ming-schedule/
    Last edited by crixus; 06-29-2021, 09:53 PM.
    Western New Mexico Mustangs

Comment

I haven't watched any professional sports for over a year and a half. Haven't missed it in the least. I'll include the Olympics in that list.

If something that really interests me is on while I'm channel surfing- or the highlights- I may or may not linger. But I'm not planning my days and nights around it like I used to.

Comment

I'm definitely excited to watch. I'm pumped to see Simone Biles dominate again because she might be the best Olympian in US history. I'm excited to see basketball, and I'm excited to watch Katie Ledecky.
        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
          As in past years, I have been looking forward to watching the upcoming Olympics, where different contestants from around the world represent their countries with pride and honor. I too always felt a sense of pride seeing the stars and stripes being presented with our national anthem being played during the medal ceremonies as our US contestants receive bronze, silver or gold.

I really hope this year's Olympics aren't hijacked during different segments by self glorifying arrogant contestants which place themselves way above the rest of the country. Yes, the same country which help fund their training, travel, and opportunity. The same country which allows it's citizens much more freedom and opportunities for all of it's citizens than any other country on earth. Please keep in mind that some other countries would not only severely punish (or worse) it's contestants, but also their family, if they dared to do anything which remotely resembled dishonor of their flag or anthem.

I still plan on watching the Olympics, and I hope it turns out to be a great competition. However, if a few contestants lose sight of the big picture and would rather turn the games into a me, me, look at me sheet show, this will be the year I change channels to something without silly self-centered immature distractions.
          I agree. If I have to watch some ignorant punk stuff their malformed political ideology down my throat, that remote control will change channels faster than lightening in a bottle. If a contest includes some self-engrossed political airhead who announces ahead of time their intentions......well, I'll have to be prepared ahead of time to switch to a Down Below Mediterranean re-run.

Please........the only political message I want to see from each nation's athletes, is their pride in representing their homeland.

Comment

I'll be watching the skateboarding competition for sure - but other than that, probably not much. Might watch some baseball.

I'm still torn on if I like skateboarding in the Olympics as it really shouldn't be an organized "sport," but it does have a rich competitive history - so we'll see. Nyjah Huston is obviously the big favorite on the men's side, and winning gold will give him a Tony Hawk-esque status. Not sure who's competing on the women's side, but I'd imagine Bufoni is the favorite.

I used to watch as much Olympics as I could, but between not having cable and lack of a Michael Phelps-style storyline, I really haven't cared too much. It is fun to watch some sports that I normally wouldn't watch though.

Last edited by SW_Mustang; 06-30-2021, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

I agree. If I have to watch some ignorant punk stuff their malformed political ideology down my throat, that remote control will change channels faster than lightening in a bottle. If a contest includes some self-engrossed political airhead who announces ahead of time their intentions......well, I'll have to be prepared ahead of time to switch to a Down Below Mediterranean re-run.

Please........the only political message I want to see from each nation's athletes, is their pride in representing their homeland.
              I just tune it out. The original era of Tebow-mania made the NFL almost impossible to watch - and I definitely rooted for his failure (and was glad to see him quit), but I still watched regardless...

Still can't watch NASCAR. Yeesh.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I just tune it out. The original era of Tebow-mania made the NFL almost impossible to watch - and I definitely rooted for his failure (and was glad to see him quit), but I still watched regardless...

Still can't watch NASCAR. Yeesh.
                Yep. That's why I seldom watch the playing of our national anthem anymore. Since I time shift virtually everything, I can easily zip thru any pre-game political BS. Last year, I didn't watch one single quarter, hell 5 minutes, of the NBA BS. Period. I had hard time watching NBA this season. Fallout.

Comment

I wonder how much pressure these athletes have from agents, teammates, etc.... to make these political statements. I feel like most just repeat what someone told them to say and have done minimal to no actual research on what they say. Nothing wrong with having an opinion but for the love of god please know be knowledgeable on the subject matter.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                    I haven't watched any professional sports for over a year and a half. Haven't missed it in the least. I'll include the Olympics in that list.

If something that really interests me is on while I'm channel surfing- or the highlights- I may or may not linger. But I'm not planning my days and nights around it like I used to.
                    I used to watch the NHL playoffs and NBA finals religiously and didn't watch a minute the last two years. I was nervous of what I was going to do with my time when sports starting getting cancelled last spring and I hardly miss any of it. Spending more time outside has been a blessing.

Comment

I'll catch some T& F, swimming, and Greco-Roman wrestling if it's shown, but the rest, IMO, is meaningless fluff.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post

I used to watch the NHL playoffs and NBA finals religiously and didn't watch a minute the last two years. I was nervous of what I was going to do with my time when sports starting getting cancelled last spring and I hardly miss any of it. Spending more time outside has been a blessing.
                        The only time I ever really watch sports anymore is when I go in-person. After staring at a screen for upwards of 50 hours in a week, my idea of proper leisure time is not to stare at more screens. I make the effort a few times a year if I think a game is important for some reason, and I may watch an NFL game occasionally, but that's it.

Being a sports fan that doesn't watch sports may sound weird, but then again - not a single soul watched Babe Ruth play live on TV and he was a mega-celebrity. All they had in 1935 was baseball cards, magazines, newspapers, and some had radio - but not much else. I've got Twitter and YouTube. I figure if they can do it, so can I.

Anyway - it's funny how we think we'll miss it, and then we don't. Went through the same thing when we ditched cable close to 10 years ago. Actually, I just spent some time in a hotel room about a month ago, and I mindlessly flipped through a bunch of channels and thought to myself "I can't believe this was my idea of a good time." Doesn't help that the quality has degraded heavily, and YouTube allows people to make better content with fewer restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Yep. That's why I seldom watch the playing of our national anthem anymore. Since I time shift virtually everything, I can easily zip thru any pre-game political BS. Last year, I didn't watch one single quarter, hell 5 minutes, of the NBA BS. Period. I had hard time watching NBA this season. Fallout.
                          Even worse, it looks like the troglodyte known as Jason Kidd is making his way back into the NBA. I really don't want to watch anything associated with people like that.

Sad thing is, more people seem to care about someone sharing their beliefs than people who cause actual harm. It's why people like Karl Malone and Lawrence Taylor still have quite large fanbases. If only they'd have shared their political opinions, then we'd toss them to the side.

Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                            I'll catch some T& F, swimming, and Greco-Roman wrestling if it's shown, but the rest, IMO, is meaningless fluff.
                            I can hardly hold in my anticipation for the synchronized swimming and especially the rhythmic gymnastics. I justhtt luuuv those ribbons flying every which way..

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Even worse, it looks like the troglodyte known as Jason Kidd is making his way back into the NBA. I really don't want to watch anything associated with people like that.

Sad thing is, more people seem to care about someone sharing their beliefs than people who cause actual harm. It's why people like Karl Malone and Lawrence Taylor still have quite large fanbases. If only they'd have shared their political opinions, then we'd toss them to the side.

Ugh.
                              Unfortunately, the Mavericks are the only NBA team I began having a renewed interest in a few years ago. Why? Proximity and Luka. Hmmm. We'll see if Kidd can develop the Mavs into a more complete team. Luka needs to make ALL the other players around him better. The real Mavs problem is Cuban. He has a big streak of Jerry Jones in him. His money, his team, him heap big general manager (defacto for Cuban), too.
                              Last edited by BuffaloChip; 06-30-2021, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X