Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't sure what thread this should go under but it is pretty amazing that St Thomas will play at Harvard in 2023 and that the Crimson will come to USF in 2029.

Football announces future games against Harvard and Black Hills State - The University of St. Thomas (tommiesports.com)

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
      Wasn't sure what thread this should go under but it is pretty amazing that St Thomas will play at Harvard in 2023 and that the Crimson will come to USF in 2029.

Football announces future games against Harvard and Black Hills State - The University of St. Thomas (tommiesports.com)
      They are also playing Lincoln this upcoming season, which is interesting.

They are completely independent as far as I'm aware, no conference, no association.

Comment

St. Thomas is in the Summit League and Pioneer Football League.

Comment

NAIA adds four.

NAIA Welcomes Four New Members - News (victorysportsnetwork.com)

Comment

North American is now a countable opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

The NAIA guy says they've only applied for accreditation; don't you have to be fully accredited to be countable by the NCAA. He also said they are not eligible for postseason because they are an associate NAIA member.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

The NAIA guy says they've only applied for accreditation; don't you have to be fully accredited to be countable by the NCAA. He also said they are not eligible for postseason because they are an associate NAIA member.
                Associate members count. http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/ForSID...Definition.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                  It looks like the NCAA is going to need another update to that after it was updated only 3 weeks ago. It doesn't make sense that a school not eligible for postseason in the NAIA is a countable opponent in the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
                    St. Thomas is in the Summit League and Pioneer Football League.
                    Should have clarified, Lincoln University is not apart of an association or conference as far as I'm aware, unless something changed from the last time I checked in on them. This is the school in Oakland.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Also worth noting that another school currently on the "non-countable opponents" list, Indiana-Purdue Columbus (IUPUC) is among the four new NAIA members.
                      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Should have clarified, Lincoln University is not apart of an association or conference as far as I'm aware, unless something changed from the last time I checked in on them. This is the school in Oakland.
                        Lincoln-Calif. is not yet an NAIA member from what I can tell. At the moment, LU-C sponsors five men's sports (baseball, basketball, football, soccer, and track and field) and three women's sports (basketball, soccer, and track and field), so they're probably not ready to join the NCAA. The NAIA requires a minimum of six sponsored sports, so LU-C could go that route by next year once they get their enrollment increased and/or stabilized. I wouldn't count on them jumping right into D2 (or, for that matter, D3) right away; maybe a few years in the NAIA before a potential D2 move is in the works.

Incidentally, this is the same school who hired Gary Payton (yes, THAT Gary Payton) to coach their men's basketball program.
                        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Lincoln-Calif. is not yet an NAIA member from what I can tell. At the moment, LU-C sponsors five men's sports (baseball, basketball, football, soccer, and track and field) and three women's sports (basketball, soccer, and track and field), so they're probably not ready to join the NCAA. The NAIA requires a minimum of six sponsored sports, so LU-C could go that route by next year once they get their enrollment increased and/or stabilized. I wouldn't count on them jumping right into D2 (or, for that matter, D3) right away; maybe a few years in the NAIA before a potential D2 move is in the works.

Incidentally, this is the same school who hired Gary Payton (yes, THAT Gary Payton) to coach their men's basketball program.
                          They aren't a member of anything yet, unless that changed recently. They just added their entire athletics department last year. The football team originally advertised as a D2 program, but then changed it to be something along the lines of "we play a mostly-D2 schedule." There's a whole thread in the GNAC board about them.

Hiring The Glove just raises more red flags for me given the history of this place. Their owner (err... "president") does seem to be substantially wealthy though, so maybe he's just a fan and ponied up the paycheck. Who knows. The less I think about this school, the better.

Comment

They aren't a member of anything yet, unless that changed recently. They just added their entire athletics department last year. The football team originally advertised as a D2 program, but then changed it to be something along the lines of "we play a mostly-D2 schedule." There's a whole thread in the GNAC board about them.

Hiring The Glove just raises more red flags for me given the history of this place. Their owner (err... "president") does seem to be substantially wealthy though, so maybe he's just a fan and ponied up the paycheck. Who knows. The less I think about this school, the better.

Comment

• There was very little time from announcement to first kickoff. Most of their roster is JUCO guys that didn't get offers elsewhere. Some of their coaching staff even moved on before the first game. I'm amazed they took the field at all. No home field either. Given their... "campus" situation, best they can hope for is to use a local high school.

Just a bizarre school and athletic department.

Comment

There was very little time from announcement to first kickoff. Most of their roster is JUCO guys that didn't get offers elsewhere. Some of their coaching staff even moved on before the first game. I'm amazed they took the field at all. No home field either. Given their... "campus" situation, best they can hope for is to use a local high school.

Just a bizarre school and athletic department.
                                Well, I'll get a look later this year with them playing GV at Lubbers. Oddly enough, they are also coming back to MI to play another GLIAC team, Davenport.
                                I did think that they are currently classified as a D2 school, but I may be mistaken. GV has to play somebody.. not many takers out there.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X