Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playoff droughts

Since there are several teams on the verge of ending long playoff droughts, I thought I'd compile a list of the last time each team made it in.

SR1

GMAC
    Kentucky Wesleyan: Never made it (eligible since 1993, except for a short NAIA stint)
    Lake Erie: Never made it (eligible since 2009)
    Walsh: Never made it (eligible since 2013)
    Ohio Dominican: 2014
    Ashland: 2017
    Findlay: 2017
    Hillsdale: 2018
    Tiffin: 2019

MEC
    West Virginia Wesleyan: Never made it (eligible since 1995)
    West Virginia State: Never made it (eligible since 1997)
    Alderson Broaddus: Never made it (eligible since 2013)
    Wheeling: Never made it (eligible since 2019)
    Frostburg State: Never made it and not eligible until 2022
    Glenville State: 1997
    West Liberty: 2009
    Concord: 2014
    Charleston: 2015
    Fairmont State: 2016
    UNC Pembroke: 2016
    Notre Dame (OH): 2019

NE10
    Pace: Never made it (eligible since 1993)
    Stonehill: Never made it (eligible since 1993)
    St. Anselm: Never made it (eligible since 1999)
    Franklin Pierce: Never made it (eligible since 2019)
    Bentley: 2004
    Southern Connecticut: 2008
    American International: 2013
    Assumption: 2017
    New Haven: 2018

PSAC
    Lock Haven: Never made it (eligible since 1980)
    Gannon: Never made it (eligible since 1993)
    Clarion: 1996
    Millersville: 1999
    Seton Hill: 2008
    East Stroudsburg: 2009
    Edinboro: 2009
    Mercyhurst: 2010
    Bloomsburg: 2014
    California (PA): 2017
    Shippensburg: 2017
    Indiana (PA): 2019
    Kutztown: 2019
    Shepherd: 2019
    Slippery Rock: 2019
    West Chester: 2019

SR2

CIAAGSC
    Shorter: Never made it (eligible since 2014???????)
    Mississippi College: 1991 (not eligible between 1996 and 2016)
    North Greenville: 2016
    Delta State: 2017
    West Alabama: 2018
    West Georgia: 2018
    Valdosta State: 2019
    West Florida: 2019

SACSIAC
    Kentucky State: Never made it (eligible since 1973)
    Clark Atlanta: Never made it (eligible since 1980)
    Lane: Never made it (eligible since 1993)
    Benedict: Never made it (eligible since 2002)
    Central State: 1986 (not eligible between 1986 and 2008)
    Savannah State: 1992 (not eligible between 2000 or so and 2020)
    Morehouse: 2010
    Albany State: 2011
    Fort Valley State: 2012
    Tuskegee: 2016
    Miles: 2019

SR3

GACGLIAC
    Davenport: Never made it (eligible since 2019)
    Northern Michigan: 1987
    Northwood: 2006
    Wayne State (MI): 2011
    Saginaw Valley State: 2013
    Michigan Tech: 2014
    Grand Valley State: 2018
    Ferris State: 2019

GLVCMIAASR4

GNAC
    Western Oregon: Never made it (eligible since 2000)
    Simon Fraser: Never made it (eligible since 2012)
    Central Washington: 2017

LSC
    Eastern New Mexico: Never made it (eligible since 1985)
    Western New Mexico: Never made it (eligible since 1994)
    UTPB: Never made it (eligible since 2016)
    Texas A&M Kingsville: 2010
    West Texas A&M: 2013
    Angelo State: 2014
    Midwestern State: 2017
    Texas A&M Commerce: 2019

NSICRMAC
    Last edited by Inkblot; 11-04-2021, 12:46 PM.

SIAC
    Kentucky State: Never made it (eligible since 1973)
    Clark Atlanta: Never made it (eligible since 1980)
    Savannah State: Never made it (eligible from 1981 through 2000 or so)
    Lane: Never made it (eligible since 1993)
    Benedict: Never made it (eligible since 2002)
    Central State: 1986 (not eligible between 1986 and 2008)
    Morehouse: 2010
    Albany State: 2011
    Fort Valley State: 2012
    Tuskegee: 2016
    Miles: 2019
    Savannah State made the playoffs in 1992, they lost to Jacksonville State in the first round.

Comment

Hard to believe teams like WT and Pitt State haven't been to the playoffs since 2013-2014.

Comment

Great research IB.

Comment

Very interesting post! We were just talking about the NSIC board. I like to see new teams make the playoffs- if you can post about which teams make it for the first time this year it would be great.

Comment

The fact that 103 schools out of 167 teams have made the playoffs is a great testament to the inclusionary nature of the D2 playoff system, which I would argue is the best in college football in terms of inclusion, competitiveness and drama.

Comment

Shouldn't Arkansas-Monticello read "(eligible since 1995)"? That was when they, Southern Arkansas, and Arkansas Tech joined the Gulf South.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                  Shouldn't Arkansas-Monticello read "(eligible since 1995)"? That was when they, Southern Arkansas, and Arkansas Tech joined the Gulf South.
                  Corrected it to 1997, the year they completed their provisional period.

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post
                    The fact that 103 schools out of 167 teams have made the playoffs is a great testament to the inclusionary nature of the D2 playoff system, which I would argue is the best in college football in terms of inclusion, competitiveness and drama.
                    There are two aspects of "competitiveness".

The first - the ability to make the playoffs. Yes, as you state, a lot of teams can, and have, made the playoffs over the years. And this has been aided in recent years by expansions of the number of teams who qualify each year.

The second - which is a truer measure of "competitive" is that there are only a handful of teams which are truly capable of winning the championship, and they tend to be the "blue-bloods" of division 2. And frankly, this plays into spreading playoff spots among regions to spread the love, rather than letting the best 28 teams in the playoffs. There are lots of years that there are "better" teams in better conferences that don't make the playoffs, and would be harder outs in the playoffs, but don't make it because of the competitiveness of their conference or super region. They don't get a chance because a less competitive team (or number of teams) make it because of their geography.

I'm not making a gripe about the system or anything else. But, I think it's commonly understood that good teams get left out, bad teams get in, and only a few teams really stand a shot at winning the championship.

Lastly, because of the relatively low value of winning a D2 championship (at the institutional level - it's hard to leverage into something meaningful), the teams that have "never made it" aren't very inclined to make the changes to turn their program around. So it takes an aligning of the stars for a team that has never made or, or not made it in decades, to have a breakthrough season. These are the underdogs that build excitement in their individual season of glory, but they rarely make deep runs in the postseason nor lead to program turnarounds that last.

I think that was a long-winded way of saying, there is a difference between qualifying for the playoffs versus actually being competitive for championships.

Comment

Originally posted by d2-football-fan View Post

The first - the ability to make the playoffs. Yes, as you state, a lot of teams can, and have, made the playoffs over the years. And this has been aided in recent years by expansions of the number of teams who qualify each year.

The second - which is a truer measure of "competitive" is that there are only a handful of teams which are truly capable of winning the championship, and they tend to be the "blue-bloods" of division 2. And frankly, this plays into spreading playoff spots among regions to spread the love, rather than letting the best 28 teams in the playoffs. There are lots of years that there are "better" teams in better conferences that don't make the playoffs, and would be harder outs in the playoffs, but don't make it because of the competitiveness of their conference or super region. They don't get a chance because a less competitive team (or number of teams) make it because of their geography.

I'm not making a gripe about the system or anything else. But, I think it's commonly understood that good teams get left out, bad teams get in, and only a few teams really stand a shot at winning the championship.

Lastly, because of the relatively low value of winning a D2 championship (at the institutional level - it's hard to leverage into something meaningful), the teams that have "never made it" aren't very inclined to make the changes to turn their program around. So it takes an aligning of the stars for a team that has never made or, or not made it in decades, to have a breakthrough season. These are the underdogs that build excitement in their individual season of glory, but they rarely make deep runs in the postseason nor lead to program turnarounds that last.

I think that was a long-winded way of saying, there is a difference between qualifying for the playoffs versus actually being competitive for championships.
                      How is that different than any other NCAA tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post
                        Spot one. A much superior system to the FBS P5 Invitational. You can't win if you don't get to play.

Comment

I'll challenge this statement. Arkansas Tech got a billboard with a picture of our men's golf team holding their trophies and the words "2021 National Champions" across the top. "ATU Men's Golf" is on one side and a school logo on the other side. That billboard is about 80 miles from campus in Little Rock. This was done by the institution in celebration and to promote the school. We have placed a high value on winning championships. Every year, the previous school year's champions are brought onto the field and introduced at halftime of a football game with the team's accomplishments announced.

Comment

Northwest has been able to parlay their NC's into an enormous amount of fundraising for the institution...levels we couldn't have sniffed before 1998.

Our last initiative was told by "consultants" you can only raise about $5M...we went over $55M, including an Indoor Facility and a new Agriculture Learning Center at the University farm...no way we could have done that before 1998. IIRC the previous initiative was a little less than $40M that began in 2001 and included a renovation to our football stadium...

I can assure you that has a tremendous impact on us at an institutional level...not to mention our enrollment is considerably higher than it was pre-1998.

Comment

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

Northwest has been able to parlay their NC's into an enormous amount of fundraising for the institution...levels we couldn't have sniffed before 1998.

Our last initiative was told by "consultants" you can only raise about $5M...we went over $55M, including an Indoor Facility and a new Agriculture Learning Center at the University farm...no way we could have done that before 1998. IIRC the previous initiative was a little less than $40M that began in 2001 and included a renovation to our football stadium...

I can assure you that has a tremendous impact on us at an institutional level...not to mention our enrollment is considerably higher than it was pre-1998.
                              I remember watching MSU-Mankato play Northwest in the early 90s. I think Mel's first year was winless- look how he turned it around. Now they are nationally known and not just in football. I'd say athletic success is very important regardless of level. The amount of donations at Mankato has skyrocketed. The amount of donations to St Cloud- besides maybe for men's hockey- had dwindled along with student numbers. Beautiful stadium- no football team.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X