Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential National Champions?

Argonaut has been filling the feed with facts and figures about who, based on historical success, may be setting themselves up to raise the trophy at the end of the year. It provides some interesting takes. I thought I'd lighten it up slightly, and taking this season as a stand alone, and each teams performance up to this point in time, based on the most recent D2Football Top 23 poll, which teams are legitimate threats to win it all. It's reasonable that some teams may need the right breaks (reseeding in the final four, for instance), but even with those right breaks, could make it through? I'll start by adding my picks.

D2Football Top 25 (10/2)
    1. Ferris State (3-1)
    2. Colorado School of Mines (5-0)
    3. Pittsburg State (5-0)
    4. Grand Valley State (3-1)
    5. Minnesota State-Mankato (5-0)
    6. Delta State (5-0)
    7. West Florida (4-1)
    8. Ouachita Baptist (5-0)
    9. Harding (5-0)
    10. Slippery Rock (5-0)
    11. Bemidji State (4-1)
    12. Benedict (5-0)
    13. Lenoir-Rhyne (5-0)
    14. Indianapolis (4-0)
    15. Davenport (4-0)
    16. Western Colorado (5-0)
    17. Emporia State (4-1)
    18. Central Missouri (4-1)
    19. Angelo State (3-2)
    20. Truman State (5-0)
    21. Minnesota-Duluth (5-0)
    22. Shepherd (4-1)
    23. Virginia Union (4-)
    24. Missouri Western State (4-1)
    25. Valdosta State (5-0)

I think, like most years, there are only a handful of legitimate threats. That being said, there are a few teams that have shown potential that I just haven't watched yet, so for lack of information I have not included.

Ferris St
    Colorado School of Mines
    Pitt St
    Mankato
    Delta St
    W Florida

The few that intrigue me, but I'm not necessarily sold on yet

GVSU
    Bemidji
    Western CO
    Central MO
    Duluth

I also think that it's early enough in the season that there may be a team or two waiting to prove their candidacy.

Truman
    Emporia St
    Valdosta St
    Angelo St

What say you?

Next 3 weeks will bring a lot more clarity but IMO as of now:

Title Contenders
    1. FSU
    2. Mines
    3. GVSU
    4. Pitt St
    5. Delta St
    6. West Fl
    7. Cent. Mo.
    Semi/QF Condenders
    1. Mankato
    2. Bemidji
    3. Duluth
    4. Lenoir-Rhyne
    5. Slippery Rock
    Good But in Stacked Region
    1. Angelo State
    2. Mo. Western
    3. Emporia
    4. Davenport
    5. Western Colo.
    6. OBU
    7. Harding
    8. Truman
    9. Indy

Comment

Valdosta State is in an interesting position this week. If they beat Delta State everyone is going to think they are back...and I'm not sure they would be wrong.

I think the biggest jump from off the radar to title contender could be them if they pull of the upset Saturday. (I'm not predicting that that they will.)

I also still think there is a category that could separately just have Ferris State. I think they are in a class of their own right now.

This was all cool to see. Good work!

* 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
      * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
      * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
      * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

I mean it is FSU and then everyone else.
        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

There are some in that camp that Ferris has it all. I wonder how Mines feels about that. And GV isn't that far off. Can't say about Pitt, W Fl, and Delta as I've not seen them.
          Ferris is pretty darn good, but Ashland was ahead in the 4th and the Griz, though FCS, aren't what they've been in the past. So from what I've seen on the field, talent is there, but execution is vulnerable. FSU likely has one, MAYBE 2 competitive games this season: GV and possibly Davenport. Their SOS isn't that great as I suspect it may be less than .500. It's pretty low at this point.

Remember even when GV was in their glory days, that Natty was typically a close affair.

Post season will indeed be interesting. I see favorites, but no big locks.

Comment

Ferris gonna Ferris, GV is close, and whatever team the MIAA meat grinder spits out.

Delta, the Argos, and Mines are right there, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

There are some in that camp that Ferris has it all. I wonder how Mines feels about that. And GV isn't that far off. Can't say about Pitt, W Fl, and Delta as I've not seen them.
              Ferris is pretty darn good, but Ashland was ahead in the 4th and the Griz, though FCS, aren't what they've been in the past. So from what I've seen on the field, talent is there, but execution is vulnerable. FSU likely has one, MAYBE 2 competitive games this season: GV and possibly Davenport. Their SOS isn't that great as I suspect it may be less than .500. It's pretty low at this point.

Remember even when GV was in their glory days, that Natty was typically a close affair.

Post season will indeed be interesting. I see favorites, but no big locks.
              I dunno, we'll see. To me, Mines doesn't belong anywhere in the national title conversation given what we saw last year from a better Mines team than they have now, against Ferris. That wasn't even a competitive game. It was a scrimmage for Ferris, essentially.

I think it is Ferris far and away, with maybe a little bit of consideration for West Florida, Pitt State, and Delta, if Shegog is healthy.

Comment

Do you too have TEMU adds clogging up the D2 post you're trying to read? Pretty annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

I dunno, we'll see. To me, Mines doesn't belong anywhere in the national title conversation given what we saw last year from a better Mines team than they have now, against Ferris. That wasn't even a competitive game. It was a scrimmage for Ferris, essentially.

I think it is Ferris far and away, with maybe a little bit of consideration for West Florida, Pitt State, and Delta, if Shegog is healthy.
                  I agree about Mines. West Florida was tied with Ferris at halftime of semi-finals last year. Some key plays and injuries shifted things in the 2nd half but Ferris deserved to win the game regardless. I watched Mines in the championship game against Ferris. West Florida would have rolled Mines. I was surprised Mines even made it to the championship. I'm convinced West Florida was the 2nd best team in D2 last year but just happened to get stuck with Ferris before they should have.
                  * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
                  * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
                  * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
                  * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

I dunno, we'll see. To me, Mines doesn't belong anywhere in the national title conversation given what we saw last year from a better Mines team than they have now, against Ferris.
                    Not saying there still isn’t a gap, there definitely is but Mines is definitely better than last year. And to this point not sure Ferris is quite as good, at least not on defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Gliac_fan10 View Post

Not saying there still isn’t a gap, there definitely is but Mines is definitely better than last year. And to this point not sure Ferris is quite as good, at least not on defense.
                      I disagree on Mines being better. They're a one-man receiving corps and they're not nearly the same pass rushing team compared to last year. Everything else is relatively even. They're still going to roll through the regular season, but they'll suffer the same fate against a good team in the playoffs like Ferris or West Florida, IMO. They did beat GV and Angelo this year when they didn't last year, but both those teams have taken bigger steps back than Mines has, I think.

Comment

I disagree on Mines being better. They're a one-man receiving corps and they're not nearly the same pass rushing team compared to last year. Everything else is relatively even. They're still going to roll through the regular season, but they'll suffer the same fate against a good team in the playoffs like Ferris or West Florida, IMO. They did beat GV and Angelo this year when they didn't last year, but both those teams have taken bigger steps back than Mines has, I think.
                        On paper you may very well have a point, but watching them play a few times they are way better at OL and RB, their offensive play calling and scheme tweaks are better than last year as well. Yes, they are not as good at WR but as long a McCloud is healthy their WRs aren't going to hurt them. On D, yes they are different but I think saying they are worse on D would be quite a stretch.

I'm sure this will be a agree to disagree point between us, guess we will see for sure come playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gliac_fan10 View Post

On paper you may very well have a point, but watching them play a few times they are way better at OL and RB, their offensive play calling and scheme tweaks are better than last year as well. Yes, they are not as good at WR but as long a McCloud is healthy their WRs aren't going to hurt them. On D, yes they are different but I think saying they are worse on D would be quite a stretch.

I'm sure this will be a agree to disagree point between us, guess we will see for sure come playoffs.
                          I've watched every Mines game so far this season and I'm with you on this one.

They have the best QB and WR in the nation. The depth at WR isn't quite there but Stone and Schiele have emerged as good contributors and the running backs are all good at running routes. Despite the loss of Zeman, I think RB corp is better with the transfer of Roper turning out to be an extremely explosive element of the offence. The OL did lose Armendariz, but is still extremely good and gives Matocha plenty of time.

Defense is looking very good in all aspects except the secondary. Losing Mason Pierce to the non-florida Argonauts was a big loss for punt returns and coverage. However, the DL and LB squad looks very good so far. Nolan Reeve and Jaden Healy have been studs so far. Always great pressure on the opposing quarterback and they play well against the run.

I think Ferris is still the clear favorite, but Mines is the clear #2 in my opinion. They looked great against Grand Valley and I'm curious to see how the GVSU/FSU game goes. At this point I think the only threat for Mines to not make the semis would be Mankato.

Comment

Whoever Danny Woodhead allows to win.

Comment

Originally posted by d2 football fan View Post
                              Argonaut has been filling the feed with facts and figures about who, based on historical success, may be setting themselves up to raise the trophy at the end of the year. It provides some interesting takes. I thought I'd lighten it up slightly, and taking this season as a stand alone, and each teams performance up to this point in time, based on the most recent D2Football Top 23 poll, which teams are legitimate threats to win it all. It's reasonable that some teams may need the right breaks (reseeding in the final four, for instance), but even with those right breaks, could make it through? I'll start by adding my picks.

D2Football Top 25 (10/2)
                              1. Ferris State (3-1)
                              2. Colorado School of Mines (5-0)
                              3. Pittsburg State (5-0)
                              4. Grand Valley State (3-1)
                              5. Minnesota State-Mankato (5-0)
                              6. Delta State (5-0)
                              7. West Florida (4-1)
                              8. Ouachita Baptist (5-0)
                              9. Harding (5-0)
                              10. Slippery Rock (5-0)
                              11. Bemidji State (4-1)
                              12. Benedict (5-0)
                              13. Lenoir-Rhyne (5-0)
                              14. Indianapolis (4-0)
                              15. Davenport (4-0)
                              16. Western Colorado (5-0)
                              17. Emporia State (4-1)
                              18. Central Missouri (4-1)
                              19. Angelo State (3-2)
                              20. Truman State (5-0)
                              21. Minnesota-Duluth (5-0)
                              22. Shepherd (4-1)
                              23. Virginia Union (4-)
                              24. Missouri Western State (4-1)
                              25. Valdosta State (5-0)

I think, like most years, there are only a handful of legitimate threats. That being said, there are a few teams that have shown potential that I just haven't watched yet, so for lack of information I have not included.

Ferris St
                              Colorado School of Mines
                              Pitt St
                              Mankato
                              Delta St
                              W Florida

The few that intrigue me, but I'm not necessarily sold on yet

GVSU
                              Bemidji
                              Western CO
                              Central MO
                              Duluth

I also think that it's early enough in the season that there may be a team or two waiting to prove their candidacy.

Truman
                              Emporia St
                              Valdosta St
                              Angelo St

What say you?
                              Truman .. no one from the GLVC should ever be considered seriously. That is Eastern-level football.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X