Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playoff seeding regurgitated

Let me beat a dead horse in this thread. It would appear that the playoff committee got exactly what they were after…..a team in the semi-finals from each region. This must be their version of “Everyone gets a trophy “. LR gets blown out by Harding and Kutztown gets boat raced by Mines. Were the best four teams in the country in the semi’s?…..absolutely not! One could argue that half the final four battles were fought early in region three. And that my friends was the plan. Eliminate some of the contenders early on and give the rest of the field a chance. None of this is new to the NCAA. Are the best four teams in the country in the D1 playoff? Nope. I guess the committee has to decide between choosing the best teams or the most deserving teams or the fairest breakdown. Now, having said all that, certainly two of the BEST teams will play in the finals and they earned it. I’m looking forward to that game more than in previous years. But the committee gets to sleep well at night knowing that they “leveled the playing field.

Originally posted by Thelakerman View Post
    Let me beat a dead horse in this thread. It would appear that the playoff committee got exactly what they were after…..a team in the semi-finals from each region. This must be their version of “Everyone gets a trophy “. LR gets blown out by Harding and Kutztown gets boat raced by Mines. Were the best four teams in the country in the semi’s?…..absolutely not! One could argue that half the final four battles were fought early in region three. And that my friends was the plan. Eliminate some of the contenders early on and give the rest of the field a chance. None of this is new to the NCAA. Are the best four teams in the country in the D1 playoff? Nope. I guess the committee has to decide between choosing the best teams or the most deserving teams or the fairest breakdown. Now, having said all that, certainly two of the BEST teams will play in the finals and they earned it. I’m looking forward to that game more than in previous years. But the committee gets to sleep well at night knowing that they “leveled the playing field.
    The NCAA should have two D2 playoffs. One for Region 3 where they can declare their superiority over everyone and the rest of us who suck and are sick and tired of the weeks of whining of how the fourth place team in the MIAA and GLIAC could win every other region by “boat racing” everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

The NCAA should have two D2 playoffs. One for Region 3 where they can declare their superiority over everyone and the rest of us who suck and are sick and tired of the weeks of whining of how the fourth place team in the MIAA and GLIAC could win every other region by “boat racing” everyone.
      Finally someone who gets it!!! Nation why don't you go brainstorm with Inkblot and lets see if we can get the ball rollin' on this sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelakerman View Post
        Uhhh...yeah bro that's how the bracket works. The winner of each SR advances to the semis. This isn't new.

Comment

The BIG doesn’t even get its two best teams in the conference title game…how it changes with no divisions will be interesting. No need for title games with expanded playoffs…,

Comment

I understand the frustration, but I’ll say it again. The NCAA is not mysterious, inconsistent or random in what it does. It has priorities for Division 2 that are unique to D2. They are stated:

Regional competition model. Division II has eight competitive regions in most sports, which build healthy rivalries, reduce time away from campus, enable families to follow their student-athletes and keep athletics participation in perspective within the educational mission. The regional model also affords a representative access to championship finals and equitable pathway to championships.

Like it not, this is one of the priorities. It serves the other NCAA sanctioned sports well. “The Committee” is not going to make an exception just for football. Nor do I think they should. The best teams will prevail and equity will be served.

Comment

Originally posted by OldBison View Post
              I understand the frustration, but I’ll say it again. The NCAA is not mysterious, inconsistent or random in what it does. It has priorities for Division 2 that are unique to D2. They are stated:

Regional competition model. Division II has eight competitive regions in most sports, which build healthy rivalries, reduce time away from campus, enable families to follow their student-athletes and keep athletics participation in perspective within the educational mission. The regional model also affords a representative access to championship finals and equitable pathway to championships.

Like it not, this is one of the priorities. It serves the other NCAA sanctioned sports well. “The Committee” is not going to make an exception just for football. Nor do I think they should. The best teams will prevail and equity will be served.
              Thank you but it won’t stop the whining.

They won’t be happy until they get the teams they think should be in the final four. Then why play the three previous rounds? The only way they can get an all MIAA/GLIAC final four is to just pick two teams from each conference and call it the playoffs. Then it will be whining for days who didn’t get to host and how unfair it was…

Comment

Originally posted by OldBison View Post

There's still arguments to be made against the regional model, but they are mostly ones of priorities and trade-offs. I'm convinced the NCAA's stated goals could be met while also increasing the competitiveness and fairness of the bracket.

I disagree with Thelakerman who cites "everyone gets a trophy" and "leveling the playing field". That might be one of many priorities for D2, but I'm pretty sure the FBS decisions come down to "Screw them (FSU) kids, give us money"
                Passing is a Sin

Comment

They NCAA didn't want to see what we see in the Semis...A massacre. Agree it was a money decision. Those sponsors weren't going to deal with another TCU/Georgia type game with the money they were putting out. And I'm sure the viewership of whoever played against FSU would be lower than the current games.

As there is no money or upside in promoting D2 football, that Regional Competition Model sums up what they think of concerning the best teams winning championships (at least in football), they don't.

"The regional model also affords a representative access to championship finals and equitable pathway to championships."

If that don't say "leveling the playing field" I don't know what does.

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
                    They NCAA didn't want to see what we see in the Semis...A massacre. Agree it was a money decision. Those sponsors weren't going to deal with another TCU/Georgia type game with the money they were putting out. And I'm sure the viewership of whoever played against FSU would be lower than the current games.

As there is no money or upside in promoting D2 football, that Regional Competition Model sums up what they think of concerning the best teams winning championships (at least in football), they don't.

"The regional model also affords a representative access to championship finals and equitable pathway to championships."

If that don't say "leveling the playing field" I don't know what does.
                    I hope Mines is up to the task of making it a competitive game. I think the beating they took last year should motivate them.

Comment

Here is a feel good story for the NCAA https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...er/ar-AA1kMnU4

Comment

Without reseeding it could have been LR vs KU and HU vs Mines in the semis followed by a lopsided final.
                        If reseeding the semis makes sense why doesn’t reseeding the 4 regions after the teams qualify within their regions??

Comment

The NCAA has no idea what equitable means.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrecked Again View Post

I hope Mines is up to the task of making it a competitive game. I think the beating they took last year should motivate them.
                            Whatchu mean. Didn’t look like any beatings were taking place

Comment

When the 28 team field whittles down to 8, they could reseed the remaining teams, like is done in volleyball and basketball. Of course, in those sports, there is a neutral host for that Elite Eight. Football could reseed the final 8 teams, but have the next two rounds be hosted by higher seeds until the remaining two play at McKinney. Of course, this would likely involve more travel in the round of 8, but that could be absorbed by the NCAA, but would go a long way to ensuring the final four is more competitive.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X