Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way Too Early Top Ten

1. Harding - Should dominate the GAC again and have a good shot of entering playoffs undefeated. Will be breaking in new starters on the OL and will miss Wallace, Strickland and Mays on defense but DL should be dominant again and bring back whole backfield back on offense

2. Central Missouri - Smith will be a big loss but bring virtually everyone else back. Their offense will be elite once again. Can the defense get better enough to make the run to Texas?

3. GVSU - Will be a new era at QB for Grand Valley, can Avery Moore produce and stay healthy for the whole season? Will another QB step up to be part of a 2 QB system again? They graduate 2 OL but bring back 5 OL that started a lot of games this past season. DE is probably the biggest question mark on defense as both starting DEs are gone, King pulling out of the portal should help there. Outside of Swanson, who will leave a big hole, they bring back a ton of pieces in the back 7.

4. Ferris State - Like GVSU the QB position will look different for the Bulldogs. Does Gulker take the full time reins? I would think so, if the Bulldogs can get better at RB I would expect the offense to shift stylistically more to what it was in the JVL days. They lose a lot on the DL but Ferris has been able to reload there in the past, can they do it again?

5. Pitt State - A new regime in Pittsburgh, can they keep it rolling? Changes at GV and Mines had very little effect this past season, can Pitt do the same? Katsis heading to Northern Arizona is a big loss when you couple it along with Garrison’s graduation. Finding explosive plays on offense with those two gone will be a huge key. The defense should be able to build on a great season this year and be dominant once again.

6. UTPB - Had a tough showing in the playoffs, especially on offense but look for another jump like they had this past year. They lose a few pieces on defense and Cooley at WR but return a ton of other pieces. There will also be a new starter at QB but I don't expect them to miss much of a beat at that spot. With the backing the program has I see little doubt that they will continue to climb towards being one of the elite programs at the D2 level.

7. Angelo State - Will have a new starter at QB and do not have a whole lot of experience returning at the position, but they bring back 8 starters and 19 of 22 in the 2-deep on offense to surround a new starter at QB. They have more losses on defense than offense but I would still expect them to have one of the top defenses in SR4.

8. Lenoir-Rhyne - Bring back a lot of experience and playmakers from this year’s semi-final run. Should be a favorite to run the table in the regular season and be the 1 seed in SR2. Can they build on last year’s success and win more than just SR2?

9. Valdosta State - Return 8 starters on both offense and defense. The defensive backfield will feature 3 new starters for a defense that was good against the pass this year. They should be the favorites in the GSC, can they make another jump in year 3 like they did from 1 to 2 in the Jackson era?

10. Mankato - Had a tough end to the season with back to back losses to NSIC teams but Duluth, Augustana and Bemidji all had quite a few seniors. Mankato on the other hand brings back 21 of 22 players in the offensive 2-deep and 7 starters on defense. I think they are the clear favorites in the NSIC at this point

Disclaimer - I did not do a deep dive on portal losses, they only one I factored in was Katsis (Pitt).
    Last edited by Gliac_fan10; 01-18-2024, 07:59 AM.

Yea I think it is too early to know anything, especially in regards to the portal. Every D2 team, besides Mines, generally has to hold their breath and hope they don't lose a bunch of guys to the transfer portal who want to go get a full ride in D1. Additionally, there's sure to be a bunch of juniors who are going to graduate and not come back because of the extra COVID year. So it's tough to guess who will and won't be there come August.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

UTPB needs to replace their QB from last year - he only had one year of eligibility and is now their QB coach. It’s a potentially huge loss for them since he came with the coach last year.

The portal gives me a headache with how fast it goes.

Comment

I'd like to give a nod to my alma mater, Central Washington University. The 2023 national quarterfinalist brings back the OL and DL completely, their QB, LSC Off POY running back, and their Harlon Hill finalist safety. I could deep dive further, but I'm busy eating Christmas candy while pretending to work, until I give up and leave at noon.

Comment

Originally posted by Goods View Post
          I'd like to give a nod to my alma mater, Central Washington University. The 2023 national quarterfinalist brings back the OL and DL completely, their QB, LSC Off POY running back, and their Harlon Hill finalist safety. I could deep dive further, but I'm busy eating Christmas candy while pretending to work, until I give up and leave at noon.
          I was very close to putting them in the top 10, I would probably have them slotted at 11 or 12 if I were to expand it past 10

Comment

Did Volk say he is staying? I find it hard to believe he couldn't get a D1 starting job.
            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Did Volk say he is staying? I find it hard to believe he couldn't get a D1 starting job.
              That's what I hate about college football now. There's always the fear of moving to a different team. He gave no indication of that when I talked to him three weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

He doesn't have much presence online. I know he got a PWO from Utah in his senior HS season. He has been interviewed a couple of times and always says how much he loves CWU and the team and all that they are building. I gotta guess there have been some contacts as I think he could play FBS somewhere. I would hate to see him leave CWU.
                Last edited by Runnin' Cat; 12-22-2023, 01:27 PM. Reason: What Goods says!

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post
                  UTPB needs to replace their QB from last year - he only had one year of eligibility and is now their QB coach. It’s a potentially huge loss for them since he came with the coach last year.

Yes the portal has changed so much. Gut feeling is that UTPB will be set at QB, either currently on roster or through the portal. I get the impression that they are one of the few programs in D2 that could lure a QB with a solid NIL package. It will be interesting to see how it plays out there at UTBP and other places once all the portal dust settles.
                  Last edited by Gliac_fan10; 12-22-2023, 07:00 PM.

Comment

I watched y’all’s games in the PO.. you seem like a 2017 Harding team. Opportunistic but lack depth to get it done against the top teams.

obviously you know more, gimme more depth!

Comment

I’m not too worried about Harding’s offensive line. We’ll definitely miss All American guard, Hunter Willis, as well as Pate and Toller. Throughout the regular season we rotated 8 guys on a regular basis. We have 5 of those coming back with some young guys that will be developing. When you’re recruiting 6 ft 270 lbs pound run blockers you’ve got a larger pool to select from.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

Sooner or later the have nots in College football are going to figure out that the Transfer portal hurts programs faster than programs trying to build them up, and might put a cap on the total number of transfers one can have on a team at any one time.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post

Sooner or later the have nots in College football are going to figure out that the Transfer portal hurts programs faster than programs trying to build them up, and might put a cap on the total number of transfers one can have on a team at any one time.
                          Not sure that would hold up in court.

Comment

I believe there are already rules in place about how many new scholarships you can give a year in D1.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Not sure that would hold up in court.
                              I think it has to happen. Young men are ruining their chance to get a degree so that they can play a game somewhere that they can more PT. It’s crazy… eventually the pendulum will swing back and education will
                              be front and center. True wealth comes from being able to retain money and execute a long term plan. Young men are too fast to jump and it’s hurting their future self.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X