Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your thoughts that don't deserve it own thread

As I ponder getting up from the computer to add another log on the fire, I've got a question or two y'all can contribute some answers.Pro
    DII allows, what, 36 full scholarships? Now that we're winding down on the COVID sideshow, I'm curious how many schools do NOT fund the full 36?
    I was told recently one school only funded 7 football scholarships. It that common or not?
    It'd probably be hard for a sportswriter to get this information as many oaches are tight-lipped prior to the February sgning date.

Also, is NIL becoming a thing of concern in DII?

Okay, light my fire!

It would be hard to ever know how many are less than 36, but there is a lot. Everyone in GLIAC is at 36 last I heard and I’m pretty sure most if not all SR3 teams are (not sure about some GLVC and GAC schools). There are teams in the single digits, not super common that teams are that low, but teens and 20s are quite common. I believe that every school in the NE10 is under 15, with most in the single digits. The schools that are over 10 are because the coaches fundraise for more scholarships. As far as the rest of the country I am not as informed, some of the others here may know better than I do. The PSAC teams as far as I know are all in the teens and 20s.

Comment

In the NSIC, I'd guess maybe 1/4 of the schools are fully at 36. The rest likely between 18 and 30ish based upon the feedback that I've gotten since COVID. Certainly the closer to 36 a squad is, the more committed the athletic department likely is to the success of that sport. I'd guess that maybe half the NSIC teams are at 30 or more..maybe. In the MIAA I'd guess that number is higher..but along with the GLIAC, those might be the 2 most competitive conferences. In the GSC I'd think the numbers are strong also. I'd guess a bit lower in the GAC..keeping in mind we are talking about the average, not merely what Harding and Henderson do, etc. There's a balance in football between being serious enough (let's say more than 25ish) but with a lot not literally being 'all-in' at 36. Plenty of schools just can't afford it due to the size of their operation.

To answer your question about finding transparency on the exact numbers are tying them to schools....that would be a no bueno. Schools don't want that out there for thee most part. The reason is..if you're going to be a trusted source to obtain that information in the first place it's also understand you aren't going right to socials to expose it. If you do = no longer a trusted source to get that info in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
        In the NSIC, I'd guess maybe 1/4 of the schools are fully at 36. The rest likely between 18 and 30ish based upon the feedback that I've gotten since COVID. Certainly the closer to 36 a squad is, the more committed the athletic department likely is to the success of that sport. I'd guess that maybe half the NSIC teams are at 30 or more..maybe. In the MIAA I'd guess that number is higher..but along with the GLIAC, those might be the 2 most competitive conferences. In the GSC I'd think the numbers are strong also. I'd guess a bit lower in the GAC..keeping in mind we are talking about the average, not merely what Harding and Henderson do, etc. There's a balance in football between being serious enough (let's say more than 25ish) but with a lot not literally being 'all-in' at 36. Plenty of schools just can't afford it due to the size of their operation.

To answer your question about finding transparency on the exact numbers are tying them to schools....that would be a no bueno. Schools don't want that out there for thee most part. The reason is..if you're going to be a trusted source to obtain that information in the first place it's also understand you aren't going right to socials to expose it. If you do = no longer a trusted source to get that info in the first place.
        Do FBS or FCS have any schools that operate below the "maximum" scholarship number?

I'm almost 100% certain that there is not a single FBS school that isn't carrying 85 full scholarships on their team at all times.

Do we know if FCS schools are operating below the 63 number? Or is every FCS school (sans Ivy League and Pioneer) at 63?
        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Do FBS or FCS have any schools that operate below the "maximum" scholarship number?

I'm almost 100% certain that there is not a single FBS school that isn't carrying 85 full scholarships on their team at all times.

Do we know if FCS schools are operating below the 63 number? Or is every FCS school (sans Ivy League and Pioneer) at 63?
          I'm not sure of the relevance of that towards the D2 discussion..but honestly, not covering those levels I couldn't begin to tell you their norms with scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

I'm not sure of the relevance of that towards the D2 discussion..but honestly, not covering those levels I couldn't begin to tell you their norms with scholarships.
            My point was going to be that it's dumb if we're the only level where schools can be anywhere between no scholarships and the max scholarships, if the other two scholarship levels of football have everyone operating at the maximum amount. It's why we can't get a decent playoff figured out, because there's not enough decent teams in every part of the country. It makes it seem like D2 is begging to be split in to multiple groups. It makes no sense to have schools offering 7 scholarships going up against schools offering 36 scholarships. It's a waste of everyone's time and resources. We're the only division in the country where the final four of the playoff can be between a school offering the max allotment of scholarships and a school offering 5 scholarships.

Comment

I do not recall all of the details, but FBS has a new rule that goes into effect around 2027. It is something like schools must be sponsoring 90% of the allowed scholarships in 16 sports, including football. The total scholarship value has to be at least 6 million per year.
              Last edited by ironcheftvdinner; 01-19-2024, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Excellent responses! That fire got warmer.
                Thanks.
                DII is basically a catch-all on the institutions' commitment, with FCS and FBS demanding a near full buy-in.
                But, yes, 30 schollys vs less than 10 in the tjhe playoffs is not good for the programs fans who want a little more competitiveness.

Comment

My point was going to be that it's dumb if we're the only level where schools can be anywhere between no scholarships and the max scholarships, if the other two scholarship levels of football have everyone operating at the maximum amount. It's why we can't get a decent playoff figured out, because there's not enough decent teams in every part of the country. It makes it seem like D2 is begging to be split in to multiple groups. It makes no sense to have schools offering 7 scholarships going up against schools offering 36 scholarships. It's a waste of everyone's time and resources. We're the only division in the country where the final four of the playoff can be between a school offering the max allotment of scholarships and a school offering 5 scholarships.
                  For the past several years FCS has given an AQ to the Pioneer League, which offers zero scholarships. So the range in FCS among playoff teams is 0-63, which is a lot more extreme than the range in D2. The difference is that FCS does not have regionalization, and the Pioneer League representative always gets clobbered in the first round.

One hint for which FCS schools are fully funded, or nearly so, is to look at which ones routinely play payday games against FBS schools. In order for such wins to count toward bowl eligibility for the FBS team, the FCS team has to offer at least 90% of the max in football scholarships (90% of 63 = 57). So, for example, in order to schedule Kansas in 2024, Lindenwood had to ramp up from 36 scholarships in its last D2 season (2021) to at least 57 scholarships just three years later, which is a huge investment for a private school.

Of course there are schools at the top of FCS that are fully funded (the four Dakotas, etc.) that can't get a game with an FBS team because they might win it.

Comment

Realistically, NIL will only affect guys moving up to D1 and will come as a secondary incentive to make the move (Austin Reed comes to mind). I highly doubt there is enough money in D2 NIL to sway anyone to transfer in the division, beyond anecdotal situations.

Comment

I expect that at least 50% of the programs in the Patriot and the NEC are operating below 63%.

Comment

It makes no sense to have schools offering 7 scholarships going up against schools offering 36 scholarships. It's a waste of everyone's time and resources.
                        Great point. I know there are some schools who are content with being mildly competitive or just having a team to generate ticket revenue (but if you're not relevant I'm not sure how much money you're team is actually making your school). It's 2024 where results/reactions/media are instantaneous and if you're not putting your best foot forward, what are you doing?

In other news, I've "liked" three comments made by Kle on various threads today and now I'm quoting him to respond here. If that means we're share the same thoughts, that's not a compliment for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Goods View Post

Great point. I know there are some schools who are content with being mildly competitive or just having a team to generate ticket revenue (but if you're not relevant I'm not sure how much money you're team is actually making your school). It's 2024 where results/reactions/media are instantaneous and if you're not putting your best foot forward, what are you doing?

In other news, I've "liked" three comments made by Kle on various threads today and now I'm quoting him to respond here. If that means we're share the same thoughts, that's not a compliment for him.
                          I assure you, that's much more of a detriment for you than it is for me lol.

Comment

NIL is definitely something to take notice of in the D2 level because it makes it so much easier to want to transfer to a D1 even if they don't offer you a scholy as long as you get NIL.

In alignment with this thread's title:
                            1) That many universities will shut down before 2050 because of an unsustainable business model.
                            2) Isn't it kind of a slap in the face for the Division that the title game is in a high school stadium, no matter how nice it may be?
                            3) Why isn't there some kind of triple-header championship weekend, FCS, D2, D3 on a network?
                            4) How long until the NAIA goes under?
                            Go Bronchos!

Comment

There is not 1 fully funded school in the PSAC. Of the entirety of Region 1, from what I think i've read in the past, the only fully funded or close to it schools are Gannon, Mercyhurst, Ashland, and West Liberty. So of the 45 schools playing football in D2 for Super Region 1... maybe 4 are fully funded.

Gannon and Mercyhurst, yes are PSAC schools, but the scholarships are said to be funny money that private schools can get more creative with.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X