Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post
    4) How long until the NAIA goes under?
    I imagine the instability of NCAA right now keeps it floating a while. If the NCAA loses it's ability to fund tournament travel, the incentive for top NAIA programs to leave becomes a lot less. There are also a few places (Montana specifically comes to mind) where the schools in NAIA conferences are loyal enough to each other that the big ones won't leave the small ones hanging - especially when there aren't great D2 options for them to join.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
      There is not 1 fully funded school in the PSAC. Of the entirety of Region 1, from what I think i've read in the past, the only fully funded or close to it schools are Gannon, Mercyhurst, Ashland, and West Liberty. So of the 45 schools playing football in D2 for Super Region 1... maybe 4 are fully funded.

Gannon and Mercyhurst, yes are PSAC schools, but the scholarships are said to be funny money that private schools can get more creative with.
      Doesn't seem to be working out too well for West Liberty.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
        There is not 1 fully funded school in the PSAC. Of the entirety of Region 1, from what I think i've read in the past, the only fully funded or close to it schools are Gannon, Mercyhurst, Ashland, and West Liberty. So of the 45 schools playing football in D2 for Super Region 1... maybe 4 are fully funded.

Gannon and Mercyhurst, yes are PSAC schools, but the scholarships are said to be funny money that private schools can get more creative with.
        I think most d2 schools get creative like that. Every Fafsa dollar, academic dollar, or other private oe spec interest scholly dollar you can get a player is bonus money on top of offering in state tuition to out of state kids. A.d2 team can end up with enough money to.cover 70 or 80 players pretty easily using all the tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Do FBS or FCS have any schools that operate below the "maximum" scholarship number?

I'm almost 100% certain that there is not a single FBS school that isn't carrying 85 full scholarships on their team at all times.
          It does happen in rare situations.

D1 schools can only sign 25 kids per year. I know Kansas State was not at 85 for a few years because the 25 rule kept them from getting to that point.

Unsure if that has changed with the portal.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

It does happen in rare situations.

D1 schools can only sign 25 kids per year. I know Kansas State was not at 85 for a few years because the 25 rule kept them from getting to that point.

Unsure if that has changed with the portal.
            https://247sports.com/college/kansas...cap-205164833/

According to this article, Kansas only just recently got back up to 85 scholarships this past season, and it sounds like they've been operating under 85 for about a decade. I know KU football was in a pretty sad state before Lance Leipold worked his magic over there, but if a Power 5 school was failing to meet that 85 benchmark for multiple straight seasons, maybe it's not so uncommon at the FBS level either... Although maybe not quite to the extent that it's at here in D2.

Comment

Originally posted by Finchwidget View Post

https://247sports.com/college/kansas...cap-205164833/

According to this article, Kansas only just recently got back up to 85 scholarships this past season, and it sounds like they've been operating under 85 for about a decade. I know KU football was in a pretty sad state before Lance Leipold worked his magic over there, but if a Power 5 school was failing to meet that 85 benchmark for multiple straight seasons, maybe it's not so uncommon at the FBS level either... Although maybe not quite to the extent that it's at here in D2.
              I would imagine if FBS weren't offering a full 85, it probably isn't due to finances, The article you linked even plainly stated it was due to roster mismanagement.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

I think most d2 schools get creative like that. Every Fafsa dollar, academic dollar, or other private oe spec interest scholly dollar you can get a player is bonus money on top of offering in state tuition to out of state kids. A.d2 team can end up with enough money to.cover 70 or 80 players pretty easily using all the tricks.
                Yes, I imagine you have to to be competitive. It is fascinating that the schools in SR1 with the most scholarship weight to throw around are essentially middle of the pack at best programs.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post

I would imagine if FBS weren't offering a full 85, it probably isn't due to finances, The article you linked even plainly stated it was due to roster mismanagement.
                  I have to imagine a revolving door at HC leads to those kinds of problems.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X