Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post

Whys is that? I'm not hip to the D3 to D2 transition as far as post season eligibility goes.

Comment

Odd indeed. Can't think of any advantage a team that transitioned from D3 could even have. Ah well, shoot for that MEC title for now.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Good luck to you. Hope the VULCANS can make the short hop to BOBCATS STADIUM in the not too distant future.
        Not going to happen for a couple of pretty big reasons. First, with UNCP coming on board next year, The MEC is going to a closed football schedule...no OOC games. Now some will say that Wheeling is SURE to be closed by next year. While I don't particularly believe that-, for the sake or argument let's assume that is so. If that happened, The MEC would go back to a 10 game schedule with every team having one OOC game on rotating weeks. Since the PSAC plays their one OOC game the first week of the season, only opportunity for Cal to play Frostburg is once every 11 years.

Comment

Odd indeed. Can't think of any advantage a team that transitioned from D3 could even have. Ah well, shoot for that MEC title for now.
          I don't think the NCAA really wants teams to move up OR down so they put in this disencentive for a good program, like Frostburg obviously is, from moving up. As I recall, one of the major arguments that the Frostburg people that didn't want to move up used was the three years that Frostburg wouldn't be permitted to compete in the NCAA playoffs. That and the supposed HUGE cost and the end of their rivalry with Salisbury.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Not going to happen for a couple of pretty big reasons. First, with UNCP coming on board next year, The MEC is going to a closed football schedule...no OOC games. Now some will say that Wheeling is SURE to be closed by next year. While I don't particularly believe that-, for the sake or argument let's assume that is so. If that happened, The MEC would go back to a 10 game schedule with every team having one OOC game on rotating weeks. Since the PSAC plays their one OOC game the first week of the season, only opportunity for Cal to play Frostburg is once every 11 years.
            Why rotating weeks instead of all week 1 as is common elsewhere ?

Comment

Why rotating weeks instead of all week 1 as is common elsewhere ?
              I could ask the reverse...Why all week 1 as opposed to rotating weeks as is common elsewhere? But, more precisely, The MEC has an odd number of teams so you can't have week one as your OOC week for everyone. PSAC has the ability to change and schedule OOC games throughout the year by simply eliminating the cross-over games. But they chose not to do that.

Comment

I could ask the reverse...Why all week 1 as opposed to rotating weeks as is common elsewhere? But, more precisely, The MEC has an odd number of teams so you can't have week one as your OOC week for everyone. PSAC has the ability to change and schedule OOC games throughout the year by simply eliminating the cross-over games. But they chose not to do that.
                Sorry, didn't mean to sound contentious, but I didn't understand why the teams couldn't play all the OOC in week 1. Are you saying that it can be done either way, but the MEC and PSAC choose opposite routes ? Thanks for the info.

Comment

I don't think the NCAA really wants teams to move up OR down so they put in this disencentive for a good program, like Frostburg obviously is, from moving up. As I recall, one of the major arguments that the Frostburg people that didn't want to move up used was the three years that Frostburg wouldn't be permitted to compete in the NCAA playoffs. That and the supposed HUGE cost and the end of their rivalry with Salisbury.
                  This was huge in our discussions but ultimately as a public school, we could not compete with the private schools, especially the really good ones playing who dole out "Academic Scholorships" to kids with a 2.2 gpa and 800 SAT scores.

Salisbury will be making the jump to D1 soon because of their LAX and Field Hockey Programs. You heard it here first!

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to sound contentious, but I didn't understand why the teams couldn't play all the OOC in week 1. Are you saying that it can be done either way, but the MEC and PSAC choose opposite routes ? Thanks for the info.
                    No it's a "math thing." 11 teams doesn't divide into 6 games with out a remainder of 1 team every week. If the MEC did schedule the first week as an OOC week, they would still have one team every other week that would not have an in conference dance partner so they would be forced to play a second OOC game or to have a bye.

Not trying to sound contentious either, but the reall issue, if the two conferences truely want to play eich other in OOC games, is the PSAC's crossover games. Eliminate them or even one and the PSAC and MEC would probably have several opportunities to play throughout the year. But I would surmise that there are reasons (no, not saying the PSAC is scared to play the MEC) that the PSAC doesn't want to or can't do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Real_FSU_47 View Post

This was huge in our discussions but ultimately as a public school, we could not compete with the private schools, especially the really good ones playing who dole out "Academic Scholorships" to kids with a 2.2 gpa and 800 SAT scores.

Salisbury will be making the jump to D1 soon because of their LAX and Field Hockey Programs. You heard it here first!
                      That's a little hard for me to believe. Seems like a lot of renovations would be needed at Salisbury's facilities to move the entire athletic program from D3 to D1.

Comment

That's a little hard for me to believe. Seems like a lot of renovations would be needed at Salisbury's facilities to move the entire athletic program from D3 to D1.
                        Guess it depends on which D1 league they were to join. What they have looks pretty nice. Take their football stadium for example. 2500 capacity would make it one of the smallest FCS stadiums but even though small, it is REALLY nice. They just opened a new baseball stadium that could probably compete toe to toe with a LOT of FCS level D1's.

I wish there was a way to bring them into the MEC but they are just too far away without some other programs joining as well.

Comment

I wish there was a way to bring them into the MEC but they are just too far away without some other programs joining as well.
                          The only reason for a Salisbury move to D2 would be to continue the cross state rivalry game with Frostburg. They wouldn't really fit in with any of the SR1 conferences as they stand now. Even pulling a Chowan and joining the CIAA seems like a stretch. Maybe being an independent could work if they could reach multi year agreements to play the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast based schools whenever they have open dates.

Their only other option would be to force a rivalry with one of the private D3 schools in Maryland.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that schools need to have a conference sponsor to move up now. In this hypothetical, Salisbury would need to have a DII (or D1??) sponsor or they would be forbidden from moving up. They are in an odd area were there really aren't any DII conferences/schools near by. Probably the best fit from a distance prospective would be the CIAA were there closest opponent would be Bowie at about 110 miles...but as someone who has made the drive between the MD DC Suburbs and the Eastern Shore on more that a few occasions, that drive would be BRUTAL!

Comment

https://frostburgsports.com/news/201...qRQ0l1-FA56TH8

FYI

Comment

Very nice. I'll be watching.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X