Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who will take WJU's spot in MEC???

Originally posted by ssidiver View Post
    Just some further confirmation that sports at WJU are safe: they are hiring a men's lacrosse coach.

That being said: good luck hiring a coach under these circumstances.
    When did their previous lacrosse coach quit?

Comment

Just some further confirmation that sports at WJU are safe: they are hiring a men's lacrosse coach.

... like buying a ticket on the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        ... like buying a ticket on the Titanic.
        "I'm the king of the wwooooorrrrrrlllllddddd!!!!"

Comment

I know one MBB coach is probably pleased that things turned out as they did. And another who is likely polishing up his resume. It certainly has been a busy year in Wheeling.

Comment

Would not be surprised if they wind up having to hire a few more coaches before next year. If it was me, I would definitely be looking for the door.

Comment

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/04/10/wh...ool-years-end/

They are going to "re-brand" no more Jesuit affiliation.
              Last edited by UFOILERFAN; 04-11-2019, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
                http://wvmetronews.com/2019/04/10/wh...ool-years-end/

They are going to "re-brand" no more Jesuit affiliation.
                West Liberty - Wheeling Campus!:wink:

Comment

The university states that it intends to maintain a Roman Catholic identity and "an ongoing Jesuit presence and influence". Time will tell.

Comment

Saw this in the GMAC thread. There is a whole lot of info in this, so I brought it over here.

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                    MEC has contacted Ashland about them joining. Ashland said they were interested but not right now. MEC has had talks with AB but both agreed not to move forward for the coming year. They have also talked to Walsh and discussions are on going. MEC has also talked to Pikeville and Bluefield (VA) and both have expressed a degree of interest. Also one unnamed PSAC state school has reached out to them recently to see what the MEC had to offer.
                    Ashland - I'd be very surprised to see them join the MEC. I think they stay in GLIAC or eventually go to the GMAC.
                    AB - Not surprised. These talks should be taking place from a geographic perspective. AB is a geographic outlier in the GMAC. However, they have not been competitive in the GMAC. Not sure how competitive they would be in the MEC.
                    Walsh - Very surprised to hear this. They seem to have the historical grouping of schools that they want to play in the GMAC. I don't think this happens.
                    Pikeville and Bluefield - I know nothing about these schools. Sounds like they would be long bus rides for NDC to southern rural towns.
                    unnamed PSAC state school - Very surprised at this too. The PSAC was created by PA state schools for PA state schools.

Comment

Has anyone found a way to see the MEC all sports rankings? I can't find it on the website.

Interestingly, the last Directors Cup standings (which are calculated differently than the MEC all sports rankings) I saw had WJU as the 2nd highest ranking MEC school just behind Charleston. Which, is pretty crazy to think that the school that appears to be completely falling apart in front of our eyes would be one of the MEC torchbearers in the national rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
                        Saw this in the GMAC thread. There is a whole lot of info in this, so I brought it over here.

Ashland - I'd be very surprised to see them join the MEC. I think they stay in GLIAC or eventually go to the GMAC.
                        AB - Not surprised. These talks should be taking place from a geographic perspective. AB is a geographic outlier in the GMAC. However, they have not been competitive in the GMAC. Not sure how competitive they would be in the MEC.
                        Walsh - Very surprised to hear this. They seem to have the historical grouping of schools that they want to play in the GMAC. I don't think this happens.
                        Pikeville and Bluefield - I know nothing about these schools. Sounds like they would be long bus rides for NDC to southern rural towns.
                        unnamed PSAC state school - Very surprised at this too. The PSAC was created by PA state schools for PA state schools.
                        I have said from the start that Ashland will not join the MEC. Just go and read all of their press-releases that they have given out over the last two years. GMAC is where they may fall, but they do want to stay in the GLIAC.

Walsh- I recall when all the ohio NAIA schools moved up. They all wanted to be in a conference together. Walsh moved up right around the same time as Malone. Granted Malone does not have football now, but Walsh has what they want. I do not see them moving.

The unnamed PSAC school could be Seton Hill. The main schools are NOT going anywhere, regardless of what is being said. I know it was mentioned in another thread about Gannon and Mercyhurst, but all three of those privates could be on the move. None of the public's. (And yes i do know we have Pitt-Johnstown, but they tried for YEARS to get in the PSAC. I don't see them moving anywhere).

I do not know much about Pikeville and Bluefileld, but I do recall the Pikevill rumblings for the past few years. I hope they make the move, and I could see them as a MEC school. (They are located in Ohio, correct?)

I do not know much about Bluefield other than the fact they do not sponsor football.

The MEC has enough schools to still function properly. I know Urbana and NDC are outliers in Ohio, and that makes for long trips with NC-P. If those two do jump to the GMAC, the MEC should feel the need to grab AB. It is a fair swap in regards to geography. I keep hearing Alleghany College is considering a move up (they are located south of Pittsburgh), so that could be another option for the MEC. Salisbury is still out there in Maryland, but they will be in the same boat as NDC, being the outlier.

It will be interesting to see how everything plays out over the next year. I personally think Indy does make the jump the to GMAC, which would make the move a little easier for Ashland in a competitive standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post
                          I have said from the start that Ashland will not join the MEC. Just go and read all of their press-releases that they have given out over the last two years. GMAC is where they may fall, but they do want to stay in the GLIAC.

Walsh- I recall when all the ohio NAIA schools moved up. They all wanted to be in a conference together. Walsh moved up right around the same time as Malone. Granted Malone does not have football now, but Walsh has what they want. I do not see them moving.

The unnamed PSAC school could be Seton Hill. The main schools are NOT going anywhere, regardless of what is being said. I know it was mentioned in another thread about Gannon and Mercyhurst, but all three of those privates could be on the move. None of the public's. (And yes i do know we have Pitt-Johnstown, but they tried for YEARS to get in the PSAC. I don't see them moving anywhere).

I do not know much about Pikeville and Bluefileld, but I do recall the Pikevill rumblings for the past few years. I hope they make the move, and I could see them as a MEC school. (They are located in Ohio, correct?)

I do not know much about Bluefield other than the fact they do not sponsor football.

The MEC has enough schools to still function properly. I know Urbana and NDC are outliers in Ohio, and that makes for long trips with NC-P. If those two do jump to the GMAC, the MEC should feel the need to grab AB. It is a fair swap in regards to geography. I keep hearing Alleghany College is considering a move up (they are located south of Pittsburgh), so that could be another option for the MEC. Salisbury is still out there in Maryland, but they will be in the same boat as NDC, being the outlier.

It will be interesting to see how everything plays out over the next year. I personally think Indy does make the jump the to GMAC, which would make the move a little easier for Ashland in a competitive standpoint.
                          Allegheny College is located in Meadville Pa ,90 miles due NORTH of PGH and actually close to the PSAC Erie triangle.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                            Allegheny College is located in Meadville Pa ,90 miles due NORTH of PGH and actually close to the PSAC Erie triangle.
                            Thanks for the clarification. You are correct. I was thinking of Washington and Jefferson, being one of those south eastern D-3 schools.

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

I posted this on the GMAC thread because they were discussing rumors they had herd about schools joining the GMAC. It seems to be an annual ritual over there with many "sources" telling people that moves were eminent. ALWAYS part of the annual rumors are NDC and Urbana moving to the GMAC. This has been reported every year since the GMAC and MEC first opened for business and it just doesn't happen. There is also annual talk about "sources" saying Ashland and UIndy are either intending to move or very close to deciding to move. Again, it just never happens. New this year are "sources" that are apparently saying SHU, Gannon and Hurst are intent on moving to the GMAC. If history teaches us anything, I wouldn't antisipate this happening for at least another decade!

But since we were in the mode of posting what "sources" had said, I decided to post what I had heard over the last several months. Will all of the moves to the MEC I've heard from my "sources" happen? I'd say there is only about a 1% chance of that happening any time soon. Will ANY of the moves I posted happen in the forseable future (2-4 years)? I'd say there is about a 50/50 chance of that.

Concerning Ashland, what my source told me is that they are not completely happy with the direction of the GLIAC and they weren't happy with the offers conference offers they had received to that point. Hence their interest in hearing what the MEC could offer them. Now is that just due diligence on their part or genuine interest? My "source" didn't know but they did depart on good terms with a promise to keep in touch.

AB talks got to a pretty serious level but in the end just didn't happen. Don't know why or who backed out, but my "source" said it was pretty close to happening.

Walsh is a relatively new rekindling of past talks. Again, may be just due diligence on the part of Walsh.

The PSAC school, according to the "source" who provided me with the information is NOT a private school. "Source" wouldn't name names but did say the school was in the "West" (don't know if that was the location in the state or as in PSAC West).

Pikeville and Bluefield are interested but are reluctant to make the jump from NAIA to DII due to some recent problems that some NAIA schools have had in making the jump. NOTE: Bluefield College in VA NOT WVA. Bluefield VA has a football team and is a private school...Bluefield WVA does NOT have a football team and is a public.

Salisbury was speculated about based solely on their close ties with Frostburg but from a distance standpoint, that doesn't make sense without other schools joining.

Hadn't heard about Allaganey's possible interest in moving up to DII.
                              Last edited by boatcapt; 06-03-2019, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
                                The university states that it intends to maintain a Roman Catholic identity and "an ongoing Jesuit presence and influence". Time will tell.
                                Twitter post from someone about a week ago said that a new name was supposed to be announced by the end of June. No indication of what it will be.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X