Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who will take WJU's spot in MEC???

I agree with this.

I believe the part that I am reading from the president deals with the "discounted enrollment" and "athletic programming costs". I don't believe they can cut out sports. They would lose a huge chunk of enrollment. I do believe they may have to end some of the cutting tuition and number of scholarships given to student-athletes. This will hurt their athletic programs if that is the case. I am guessing they may transition to D3 from just the wording, but of course, I could definitely be wrong.

I think it really hurts: (a) the current student body who may look to transfer based on the news and (b) kills prospective incoming students. The sad thing is that Wheeling Jesuit has always had a solid academic rating which leads me to believe they could end up pretty easily with a financial partner as they call it. It isn't in a horrible location compared to what Salem College was back in the day when they became Salem-Teikyo.

Comment

Sounds like a great recruiting tool ...

No idea what kind of talent they have stocked in the football program but I assume we'll see a mass exodus in the coming weeks.

Comment

Well, at least the MEC made them start football and then added D&E after. :bulgy-eyes:

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          Sounds like a great recruiting tool ...

No idea what kind of talent they have stocked in the football program but I assume we'll see a mass exodus in the coming weeks.
          I took a look at the highlight reel of a few incoming recruits. I don't think many of these players will end up on another D-II roster.

Comment

https://wtov9.com/news/local/student...seven-programs

Private meetings today, cutting all but 7 programs.

Comment

I wouldn't give this much credability, but one guy on Twitter saying a 40% across the board cut but athletics is unscathed.

Even if true, I would expect whole sale transfers across all athletic teams.

Comment

Yeah, with only 7 programs left, kids are going to be heading elsewhere.

Comment

From another Twitter poster. Programs remaining:

Programs remaining:
                  Doctor of Physical Therapy
                  Nursing
                  Respiratory Therapy
                  Exercise Science
                  Psychology
                  Criminal Justice
                  Education
                  Business

He also says athletics are un-cut.

I joked earlier about WLU stepping in and making WJU WLU - Wheeling. Maybe that's not so far fetched after all!

Comment

I wonder how WJU funds their athletic scollys? I have been told that all WV state schools fund theirs by private donations. Does WJU do the same or are they funded by the schools general revenues?

Comment

I don't know but I don't think a slogan of "Come to our school, we found a way to stay open next year!!!"" is a good recruiting tool.
                      Last edited by UFOILERFAN; 03-28-2019, 07:37 PM.

Comment

I know WL is making a point to advertise a Transfer Visit Day in April. I made the postcards :smile-big:

Comment

Too lazy to look it up but wouldn't WL be a lot cheaper to attend than WJ???

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
                            Too lazy to look it up but wouldn't WL be a lot cheaper to attend than WJ???
                            Ohhhh yeah. As a public school, WLU is much cheaper than WJU. Distance between the two is less than 15 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
                              I know WL is making a point to advertise a Transfer Visit Day in April. I made the postcards :smile-big:
                              I don't know if that was the plan but the timing couldn't be more perfect! WLU has seen small enrolment increases for the last two years which kind of bucks the trend for small liberal arts colleges. I would anticipate a pretty major increase in student enrolment this fall! Heck, if we need dorm space, maybe we could rent some from WJU and run a shuttle to WLU! I hear WJU is shaking the cushions for coins so I'd think they would be amenable to some sort of rent-to-own agreement!!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                                I wonder how WJU funds their athletic scollys? I have been told that all WV state schools fund theirs by private donations. Does WJU do the same or are they funded by the schools general revenues?
                                Discounting. Very, very few private schools use donations to fund athletic scholarships.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X