Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who will take WJU's spot in MEC???

Some quick checking...Looks like a number of academic majors being cut at WJU cross walk almost directly to the following WLU majors"

Biology
    Chemistry
    Communications
    Digital Media
    English
    History
    Mathematics
    Philosophy and Religion
    Political Science
    Last edited by boatcapt; 03-29-2019, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Last edited by BlueBlood; 03-29-2019, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        Some quick checking...Looks like a number of academic majors being cut at WJU cross walk almost directly to the following WLU majors"

Biology
        Chemistry
        Communications
        Digital Media
        English
        History
        Mathematics
        Philosophy and Religion
        Political Science
        Last edited by Layton; 03-29-2019, 09:13 AM.

Comment

From reading all the threads here, it appears that if WJU were to drop athletics, most of their student population would drastically dwindle. Not smart.

Cutting academic programs may actually be the best option, but only for the time being. Who knows what will happen, but if the MEC does lose another program, I wonder what their options are?

Maybe a merger with the GMAC? Seton Hill could be a possibility, but they are not leaving the PSAC. It makes 0 sense for them. Do they go south towards some of the NAIA schools, or are they to far away (Even though NC-Pembroke is coming into the fold). I can't think of any D-3 in PA that would be an option.

Comment

I read a post from a faculty member who said he directly asked the president about WVU taking over. He said that the president was evasive and would only commit to saying that there had been discussions with "local" universities about helping them.

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post
              Who knows what will happen, but if the MEC does lose another program, I wonder what their options are?
              Well, there is the obvious school - not sure if tensions have lessened through the years or not.

Comment

The presidents athletic conference - W&J, Bethany, Waynesburg, etc is closed D3 if they keep football going...

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post
                  From reading all the threads here, it appears that if WJU were to drop athletics, most of their student population would drastically dwindle. Not smart.

Cutting academic programs may actually be the best option, but only for the time being. Who knows what will happen, but if the MEC does lose another program, I wonder what their options are?

Maybe a merger with the GMAC? Seton Hill could be a possibility, but they are not leaving the PSAC. It makes 0 sense for them. Do they go south towards some of the NAIA schools, or are they to far away (Even though NC-Pembroke is coming into the fold). I can't think of any D-3 in PA that would be an option.
                  In the past, most speculation centered on Frostburg, UNC-P and Pikeville. Frostburg is in and UNC-P is partially in so that leaves Pikeville.

But I would note that the plan (at least for now) includes all WJU sports teams continuing as normal so baring a change, they will be playing football with the MEC in the coming season.

Comment

I don't there would be any chance that WVU would take over WJ. There are too many public higher ed schools in WV now. There is always talk of closing Glenville but I don't think it would ever happen. If WVU would take over WJ, that would probably kill West Liberty and the Northern Community College so how would that help things overall. Make it a regional drug rehabilitation center for Ohio, PA and WV and charge OH and PA fees for sending their residents there. The infrastructure is already there with the dorms, cafeteria, recreation facilities and classrooms.

Comment

A cooperation or affiliation for those degrees not offered by WJU is possible. You don't need to look as far as Indiana. NDC offers an engineering degree through Case Western.

Also, I remember that the Furman (smallish private school) QB this year was taking all his classes through Clemson (large public university) via a cooperation. He actually played for Furman against Clemson.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
                        I don't there would be any chance that WVU would take over WJ. There are too many public higher ed schools in WV now. There is always talk of closing Glenville but I don't think it would ever happen. If WVU would take over WJ, that would probably kill West Liberty and the Northern Community College so how would that help things overall. Make it a regional drug rehabilitation center for Ohio, PA and WV and charge OH and PA fees for sending their residents there. The infrastructure is already there with the dorms, cafeteria, recreation facilities and classrooms.
                        You could make the case that would track pretty well with what WVU is trying to do in terms of taking over the state's higher education programs. The WVU president has talked pretty openly about the (perceived) benefits of doing away with the Higher Education Policy Commission, merging and/or closing several smaller state schools (Concord, Bluefield, Glenville, etc.) and bringing the state's colleges and universities together under one banner (WVU's, of course). He may wear a bow tie and look like Wally Cox's baby brother (dating myself there) but in the boardroom, this guy is a stone-cold killa!

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
                          Wheeling is "serviced" by four college/universities/centers, WLU, WJU, WVNCC and WLU-Highlands. That's a lot of different options for a city of 38,000. WLU is clearly the winner in this battle with WVNCC second and WJU in the rear.

Just an idea but I would think the WJU campus would be a perfect location for WLU and WVNCC to open a co-location partnership. WLU could relocate the Highlands center there and "take over" some of the high tech programs that are being cut by WJU (engineering jumps to mind as does environmental studies) and incorporate all the graduate programs effectively making "WLU-Wheeling" a sort of high tech/graduate center. WVNCC could probably move most of their programs into the remaining facilities and take over most of the athletic facilities as recreation space for their students (or perhaps start a couple of NJCAA teams). Basically you'd be taking four higher education locations managed by three schools and consolidating to two managed by two schools.

One caviat, WLU would need to take over the natatorium and start a swimming team. Hey, sorry, I swam competitively in my younger days and I still like it! THAT would be the cost to WLU and WVNCC for using my idea!!!!
                          Last edited by boatcapt; 03-29-2019, 01:30 PM.

Comment

This may be a very fluid situation, but as of right now, WJU will still field sports teams, including football, per the Wheeling Intelligencer:

Once we finally see some MEC teams release some schedules, that will probably settle the "Will WJU field a team or won't they" question.
                            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

I love watching that crap University slowly wither on the vine. The only thing that would make this better is if West Lib did what Boat suggested, buy that campus and turn it in to WLU-Wheeling. My gosh, I'm not sure if it could get any better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                                This may be a very fluid situation, but as of right now, WJU will still field sports teams, including football
                                Just some further confirmation that sports at WJU are safe: they are hiring a men's lacrosse coach.

That being said: good luck hiring a coach under these circumstances.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X