Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alderson Broaddus in Academic Trouble due to Finances

Looks like Alderson Broaddus is in jeopardy of losing thier ability to confer degrees if they cannot figure out thier money issues.

https://wvmetronews.com/2023/06/23/a...cial-problems/

I was surprised we are still open. I thought it would shut down after the spring semester.

Comment

Oh Jeez. Very sorry to see this. Nothing but respect for AB. Hopefully it’s not too late to right the ship.

Comment

What do you with a shut down university?

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
          What do you with a shut down university?
          Most end up trying to open another school, but they generally end up selling whatever buildings they can and the majority end up vacant. See Montgomery, WV.

Comment

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

Most end up trying to open another school, but they generally end up selling whatever buildings they can and the majority end up vacant. See Montgomery, WV.
            A lot of these schools need to just close. We don't need more of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Fair enough, there has been plenty of casualties in recent years in the area, namely Urbana, Ohio Valley, Mountain State, etc.

Comment

Their finances are really toast based off of this:

https://ab.edu/uncategorized/hooman-...s-information/

Comment

Originally posted by AlexTheHAMMER View Post
                  Their finances are really toast based off of this:

https://ab.edu/uncategorized/hooman-...s-information/
                  Yes, anytime you have to release from your financial people in attempt to calm things down, its a pretty big issue. Very curious how quickly they close the doors (if they do anyway), and if the Mountain East pivots quickly to bring in another school to replace them.

Comment

It's a really rough time to be a small college right now, especially a small private college.

Comment

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

Yes, anytime you have to release from your financial people in attempt to calm things down, its a pretty big issue. Very curious how quickly they close the doors (if they do anyway), and if the Mountain East pivots quickly to bring in another school to replace them.
                      That tees up another discussion. Who do we think they bring in to replace AB? Not who would we like them to bring in...who do we think they WILL bring in?

My bet would be WV Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

That tees up another discussion. Who do we think they bring in to replace AB? Not who would we like them to bring in...who do we think they WILL bring in?

My bet would be WV Tech.
                        My shortlist: WV Tech, Salem, District of Columbia, Point Park. However, only one (theoretical) football program in that bunch

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

My bet would be WV Tech.
                          Why not make a run at Pikeville? They just changed conferences in the NAIA, but they have the best basketball facility of any program. And the football complex is actually Pikeville High School's, but it is not terrible. They're a good geographic fit as well.

Comment

Double post ... My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I disagree to an extent. WV does not need another 4-year school. WV has been educating a lot of people so that they can leave the state.

But the campus does have facilities that could be used for a trade school or some sort of 2-year school which would be much more suitable for the particular work force of that area. There is some forward thinking involved, but WV has long needed some schools with some specialities that fit the workforce of the state's population. In my opinion, the state really screwed up in the '90s when there was a chance to train the workforce for the growing IT field.

If AB folds next May which looks likely, then Barbour County loses 100 jobs that likely leave the state. Regardless of people's feelings, there will be a ripple effect on the local economy. A lot of small businesses will close because they are dependent on the school workforce as well as the student population.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X