Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Worth noting that the MEC has one HBCU (WV State). Sure, not the same as the CIAA, but it's not nothing. Not saying this would happen, but if Lincoln joined as a bridge to Salisbury, Bowie might come along (which would put all Maryland DII's in the same conference). Don't see this happening but we are in the speculation phase of conference roulette so, yea, why not.
    Has the CIAA ever came after WVSU ?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

WVSU was in the CIAA from 1942 to 1955, when athletic conferences were still segregated

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
        Obviously, it's just guys throwing ideas at a message board; but it is interesting seeing some PSAC posts saying "if not Frostburg, what about WLU or Fairmont?" I always viewed WLU (rightly or wrongly) as the school most in-step with MEC admin. But, as the MEC continues to become more WVIAC-like, and less like what was originally envisioned, any chance that some of the core schools gets wandering eyes? Any thoughts from the WVIAC old-timers on here?
        I kind of see WLU and Frostburg as opposite sides of the same coin. WLU is really good in basketball and really bad in football...Frostburg is really good in football and really bad in basketball. Fairmont is decent in both but then driving distance starts to become an issue in a hypothetical move from the MEC to the PSAC.

Then there is Lake Erie College. Bad in both football and basketball but good from a driving distance standpoint (Gannon, Edinboro and Rock less than 100 miles away) with the longest drive being Pitt-Johnstown at just under 200 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I don't know if they have ever come after them. Haven't seen any CIAA posters (not that there are many on this board) speculate about trying to add them.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
            Honestly, I think the MEC should lean into being a strong basketball conference, that also has football, especially if they lose Frostburg. Point Park is a great add for this.

The PSAC has a LOT of dead basketball weight, and it hurt the conference when it came to playoff selections. The MEC is already the best basketball conference top to bottom in the region, and a couple more good adds could make you dominant. Football has a much tougher path after losing NDC.
            Being the best top-to-bottom league does have it's down side. Often we beat each other up during conference play which hurts during playoff selections.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X