Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Finchwidget View Post
    The MEC was formed in large part to kick Bluefield State (and others) to the curb, and they languished as an independent for almost a decade. Now that they're finally doing pretty good for themselves and found a new conference home elsewhere, I'd be skeptical they'd want to go back to the same schools that turned their noses up at them for the better part of 10 years. Especially now that they're really leaning into their HBCU status-- their new HC was on the staff of the Florida A&M team that won the HBCU championship last season, which sort of tells me they're all in on the CIAA and establishing an HBCU culture.
    ​​​​​
    Salem wouldn't be a bad choice if you're just looking for warm bodies to add, same with WV Tech, now that their football plans seem to be on indefinite hiatus. Someone on here mentioned Pikeville once, and I think they would be a great choice if they're interested.
    As I recall, the MEC had an unofficial scheduling agreement in basketball with Salem last year after Alderson-Broaddus' sudden closure. Whether that would ultimately lead to a full membership return for Salem (even when you factor in the closure of NDC) is certainly open for debate.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

As I recall, the MEC had an unofficial scheduling agreement in basketball with Salem last year after Alderson-Broaddus' sudden closure. Whether that would ultimately lead to a full membership return for Salem (even when you factor in the closure of NDC) is certainly open for debate.
      Yeah, that's correct. AB closed, so they went and did the scheduling alliance with Salem, which gave the MEC every opportunity to extend that into a full membership in 2024 if they wanted. However, they went added Point Park instead, which sort of told me that they'd still rather look elsewhere for members before turning to Salem. Of course, this was before NDC closed and the PSAC started getting Frostburgs seat comfortable for them, so who knows

Comment

The MEC was formed in large part to kick Bluefield State (and others) to the curb, and they languished as an independent for almost a decade. Now that they're finally doing pretty good for themselves and found a new conference home elsewhere, I'd be skeptical they'd want to go back to the same schools that turned their noses up at them for the better part of 10 years. Especially now that they're really leaning into their HBCU status-- their new HC was on the staff of the Florida A&M team that won the HBCU championship last season, which sort of tells me they're all in on the CIAA and establishing an HBCU culture.
        ​​​​​
        Salem wouldn't be a bad choice if you're just looking for warm bodies to add, same with WV Tech, now that their football plans seem to be on indefinite hiatus. Someone on here mentioned Pikeville once, and I think they would be a great choice if they're interested.
        Not exactly right concerning the formation of the MEC as a way of "kicking Bluefield to the curb." Bluefield (and the other non-football schools) had every opportunity to keep the old WVIAC together simply by voting to add UVA-Wise. They chose not to which forced the football playing schools to leave the WVIAC and form the MEC. Bluefield voted to keep the status quo were the non-football schools spent little on their athletic programs but were the first in line to get their share of the NCAA provided conference $'s dolled out based on the performance of the schools that spent much more on athletics.

No to Salem for so many reasons already covered. WVU Tech could be in play given their massive institutional turn around. Yes, WVU Tech's football plans seem to be on hiatus, but, perhaps the specter of getting back to DII (which they tried in the past) might be enough to kick-start those plans. Pikeville would be a great add but until now, that has seemed to be little more than message board speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Not exactly right concerning the formation of the MEC as a way of "kicking Bluefield to the curb." Bluefield (and the other non-football schools) had every opportunity to keep the old WVIAC together simply by voting to add UVA-Wise. They chose not to which forced the football playing schools to leave the WVIAC and form the MEC. Bluefield voted to keep the status quo were the non-football schools spent little on their athletic programs but were the first in line to get their share of the NCAA provided conference $'s dolled out based on the performance of the schools that spent much more on athletics.

No to Salem for so many reasons already covered. WVU Tech could be in play given their massive institutional turn around. Yes, WVU Tech's football plans seem to be on hiatus, but, perhaps the specter of getting back to DII (which they tried in the past) might be enough to kick-start those plans. Pikeville would be a great add but until now, that has seemed to be little more than message board speculation.
          Whatever the reason, the fact remains that the MEC chose not to bring Bluefield with them, and Bluefield languished in independence for a while because of it. My overall point that they probably wouldn't be eager to link back up with the MEC members that kept them frozen out for so long still stands.

And I'm with you on Salem, hence why I said they'd be good if the MEC just wants warm bodies. In the metric of "Being a D2 school in West Virginia with no other conference commitments", they excel, which is all you really need if you're just looking for any new member. In all other metrics (competitiveness, stability), they're somewhat lacking.

Comment

Obviously, it's just guys throwing ideas at a message board; but it is interesting seeing some PSAC posts saying "if not Frostburg, what about WLU or Fairmont?" I always viewed WLU (rightly or wrongly) as the school most in-step with MEC admin. But, as the MEC continues to become more WVIAC-like, and less like what was originally envisioned, any chance that some of the core schools gets wandering eyes? Any thoughts from the WVIAC old-timers on here?

Comment

DIdn't Pikeville apply for D-2 membership years ago, or was that another NAIA and it was actually denied? Maybe a Cumberland if I recall. I thought that happened around the formation of the MEC or shortly after.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
                Obviously, it's just guys throwing ideas at a message board; but it is interesting seeing some PSAC posts saying "if not Frostburg, what about WLU or Fairmont?" I always viewed WLU (rightly or wrongly) as the school most in-step with MEC admin. But, as the MEC continues to become more WVIAC-like, and less like what was originally envisioned, any chance that some of the core schools gets wandering eyes? Any thoughts from the WVIAC old-timers on here?
                I think the MEC had a nice idea when they first formed. They grabbed schools out of the West Virgina state, but unfortunatley those schools didn't last. Urbana shut down and Notre Dame, both in Ohio. Wise left for the Sac, in VIrgina. AB also shut its doors.

Maybe their best bet is to move to Kentucky and try to get Union and Georgetown again? Those names have been mentioned. Or SW PA; the president's conference.

What about D3 Salisbury? They are somewhat isolated too.

Comment

Whatever the reason, the fact remains that the MEC chose not to bring Bluefield with them, and Bluefield languished in independence for a while because of it. My overall point that they probably wouldn't be eager to link back up with the MEC members that kept them frozen out for so long still stands.

And I'm with you on Salem, hence why I said they'd be good if the MEC just wants warm bodies. In the metric of "Being a D2 school in West Virginia with no other conference commitments", they excel, which is all you really need if you're just looking for any new member. In all other metrics (competitiveness, stability), they're somewhat lacking.
                  Not a nock at you, just that as time goes by, the reason a thing happened might get forgotten. The true villans in the break-up of the WVIAC are the Creehan's at AB. Had they stuck with their vote to admit Wise, we possibly would not have broken up the WVIAC. That said, there was a long history of disagreement between the football playing schools and the non so maybe the conference would have broken up later anyway.

Which ever way the MEC decides to go, I think they need to get off this "we only want 12 members" philosophy. I'm a firm believer it the military mindset of "If you want three, you need four...if you want one, you need two." So 12 doesn't truly mean 12...It means 13 (or probably 14 for balance of scheduling). If you get to 12 exactly then stop, you are always at the mercy of an AB closing at the last minute and them an NDC doing the same. THAT's when schools like Salem, D&E and Point Park become attractive. Had we had some forethought, we would have invited Bluefield as an Associate member for several sports right after they started football to monitor their progress and have them sort of waiting in the wings. Also have an unofficial aliance with an NAIA like UPike or WV Tech were the conf encourages any member schools looking for a game vs an NAIA foe to look there first. Maybe have a MEC sponsored Tourney in some of the individual sports (wrestling, track or maybe even a round-robin lacrosse tourney) were NAIA, D3's and DII's are invited. Again, open those lines of communication so if in the future either you or one of the D3/NAIA's have a need or desire to move up, there is a level of comfort and mutual interest.

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

DIdn't Pikeville apply for D-2 membership years ago, or was that another NAIA and it was actually denied? Maybe a Cumberland if I recall. I thought that happened around the formation of the MEC or shortly after.
                    I don't think Pike applied (could be wrong). WVU Tech did a couple of times right after they went to the NAIA. Think it was driven by driving distance not being the big savings that they thought it would be in the NAIA. Don't know if they actually applied or just expressed their interest. Cumberland did apply as part of the GMAC but was shot down by the NCAA.

Comment

I think the MEC had a nice idea when they first formed. They grabbed schools out of the West Virgina state, but unfortunatley those schools didn't last. Urbana shut down and Notre Dame, both in Ohio. Wise left for the Sac, in VIrgina. AB also shut its doors.

Maybe their best bet is to move to Kentucky and try to get Union and Georgetown again? Those names have been mentioned. Or SW PA; the president's conference.

What about D3 Salisbury? They are somewhat isolated too.
                      IMHO, the MEC's real problem was cleaving to the "we only want 12" members. Everytime they got there, they would stop looking and then when a school closed or went to another conference, it was crisis mode to get back to 12 and often, the schools brought in were financial unstable.

I like Salisbury and I think the thought of them back with Frostburg has a certain pull for both schools. But if you think NDC was on an island, Salisbury would really be on one! We'd need a dance partner or perhaps two (Lincoln? One of the Baltimore area D3's? Bowie?) to make it anything more than a short term relationship. Western PA and PAC schools are inticing but I don't know of any real interest in any leaving D3...I could be wrong and it's always worth a call to see.

I haven't heard of any interest on WLU's part to move to the PSAC. We've been told on this board that driving distance is the end all for schools and I just don't think there would be any benefit there for WLU.

Comment

IMHO, the MEC's real problem was cleaving to the "we only want 12" members. Everytime they got there, they would stop looking and then when a school closed or went to another conference, it was crisis mode to get back to 12 and often, the schools brought in were financial unstable.

I like Salisbury and I think the thought of them back with Frostburg has a certain pull for both schools. But if you think NDC was on an island, Salisbury would really be on one! We'd need a dance partner or perhaps two (Lincoln? One of the Baltimore area D3's? Bowie?) to make it anything more than a short term relationship. Western PA and PAC schools are inticing but I don't know of any real interest in any leaving D3...I could be wrong and it's always worth a call to see.

I haven't heard of any interest on WLU's part to move to the PSAC. We've been told on this board that driving distance is the end all for schools and I just don't think there would be any benefit there for WLU.
                        I believe driving distance is a major factor, but not the only factor. Public and privates factor in. Hell, who knows if NDC was in the GMAC if they could have stayed afloat on less travel expenses? Lincoln and Bowie are HBCU's, and those seem to stick together. Look at Central State.Their HBCU trumps traveling distance. Located in ohio but open a map and see how far they need to go when they could easily be in the middle of the GMAC. Honestly, Point Park starting football would be huge. It is in PIttsburgh, and a great area for talent. They are probably saving a boatload of cash by not traveling the distances that they had to in the NAIA.

Comment

Honestly, I think the MEC should lean into being a strong basketball conference, that also has football, especially if they lose Frostburg. Point Park is a great add for this.

The PSAC has a LOT of dead basketball weight, and it hurt the conference when it came to playoff selections. The MEC is already the best basketball conference top to bottom in the region, and a couple more good adds could make you dominant. Football has a much tougher path after losing NDC.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
                            I'd be shocked if WLU left the MEC, especially with the commissioner of the league being a WLU alumnus. I think I read last year or in more recent years that Wheeling was in some pretty dire financial shape, otherwise they make a good bit of sense in proximity to the western PA portion of the PSAC. With all that said, I do think WLU would be a better fit.

Perhaps Pace out in the NE10 would be an option, not bad proximity to most of the schools in the East.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I'd be shocked if WLU left the MEC, especially with the commissioner of the league being a WLU alumnus. I think I read last year or in more recent years that Wheeling was in some pretty dire financial shape, otherwise they make a good bit of sense in proximity to the western PA portion of the PSAC. With all that said, I do think WLU would be a better fit.

Perhaps Pace out in the NE10 would be an option, not bad proximity to most of the schools in the East.
                              Pace's football is mediocre on a good year, and their basketball, while fine, doesn't move the needle. They'd also have to park men's lacrosse somewhere since the PSAC doesn't sponsor it. They're not the worst option, but I think the PSAC will have better.

Comment

I believe driving distance is a major factor, but not the only factor. Public and privates factor in. Hell, who knows if NDC was in the GMAC if they could have stayed afloat on less travel expenses? Lincoln and Bowie are HBCU's, and those seem to stick together. Look at Central State.Their HBCU trumps traveling distance. Located in ohio but open a map and see how far they need to go when they could easily be in the middle of the GMAC. Honestly, Point Park starting football would be huge. It is in PIttsburgh, and a great area for talent. They are probably saving a boatload of cash by not traveling the distances that they had to in the NAIA.
                                Worth noting that the MEC has one HBCU (WV State). Sure, not the same as the CIAA, but it's not nothing. Not saying this would happen, but if Lincoln joined as a bridge to Salisbury, Bowie might come along (which would put all Maryland DII's in the same conference). Don't see this happening but we are in the speculation phase of conference roulette so, yea, why not.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X