Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Re: Hot Seat(s)

To an extent he was an unknown early in the year last year. Now he's the total focus of the defense. He's not going to catch teams off guard anymore ... put it that way.

Teams will sell out on him and take their chances against the QB and WRs.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
        Back to hot seats...how hot is the seat up at Slippery Rock if they drop 3-4 games this year?

I think both Gannon and Seton Hill make changes after this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Very good question. I absolutely expect us to lose between 4-5 games, capped by a disheartening loss to Gannon in November. I know the Knights are struggling, but even going back to when I was on the team, they seem to have our number more years than not.

I just don't think Lutz is a good enough coach to beat teams with equal talent. Something to consider: his son is a senior in high school with, I believe, a few Division 1 football offers. Maybe he will resign to go watch his kid play college football.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozsa2 View Post
          Very good question. I absolutely expect us to lose between 4-5 games, capped by a disheartening loss to Gannon in November. I know the Knights are struggling, but even going back to when I was on the team, they seem to have our number more years than not.

I just don't think Lutz is a good enough coach to beat teams with equal talent. Something to consider: his son is a senior in high school with, I believe, a few Division 1 football offers. Maybe he will resign to go watch his kid play college football.
          I don't see 4-5 losses, but you're closer to it than I am. I know one thing, not that it's worth much but there used to be a lot more traffic on the board here by SRU fans. It has slowly died off over the last three seasons, and definitely the last two. The place was packed for IUP last fall, but is the same level of enthusiasm there as it was in the previous two decades? Just curious. I've heard that there's a lot of rumbling among the fan base that they're not happy, and if that's true, I imagine it's getting to the administration.

Regardless, I hate to see coaches not get at least four years to show what they can do with the players they brought into the program. That said, poor game management seems to be one of Lutz's biggest criticisms.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
            I don't see 4-5 losses, but you're closer to it than I am. I know one thing, not that it's worth much but there used to be a lot more traffic on the board here by SRU fans. It has slowly died off over the last three seasons, and definitely the last two. The place was packed for IUP last fall, but is the same level of enthusiasm there as it was in the previous two decades? Just curious. I've heard that there's a lot of rumbling among the fan base that they're not happy, and if that's true, I imagine it's getting to the administration.

Regardless, I hate to see coaches not get at least four years to show what they can do with the players they brought into the program. That said, poor game management seems to be one of Lutz's biggest criticisms.
            4-5 losses: Shippensburg, California, IUP, Edinboro, one we shouldn't lose (Mercyhurst, Clarion or Gannon)

Unless the bottom falls out, I would expect our home games will always draw well with students and people in that area. I live more than 7 hours away, so I am, obviously, not at all the home games. The rumbling among unhappy fans in attendance was absolutely true after the Kutztown game last year and Shippensburg two weeks ago. Even games we do win (KSU this year), we walk away feeling as though we won in spite of his decisions.

I can't speak for others, but this is where the enthusiasm is among the group of alums/donors I attend games with: We never miss the IUP game. Home or away, people use vacation days to come back for it. This year, not all of us will be there. The common thought among those not attending is that we're going to get embarrassed. I don't agree with that. I think a loss like the one vs. Ship is embarrassing. If a top-five team blows our doors off? What chance did we ever have? In my opinion, Lutz isn't a good enough coach to keep that game close enough for him to turn it into another embarrassing loss. So, I'll be at IUP on Oct. 6 supporting the team and hoping our coach proves me wrong.

Comment

Very true...I see that happening right now.

Comment

Now this is very true and sad. You bought fools gold, admit it and move on just don't continue to buy the gold. But pride kills a good team, bottom line is win baby win. Look at FSU and all the fools gold they bought, then the coach leave and passes it on to the next coach. When you follow STARS and public opinion more than likely you're going to end up with fools gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                  Take the time that he wasn't permitted to play out. Yards per carry was 5.5 against SCSU, 3.1 against WCU and 5.9 against Kutz. Last season was 8 ypg. But this year's average will be going for the remainder of the season. The only team left on the schedule that slowed him last year was IUP.
                  Fake News or wrong, Mercyhurst slowed him down, had one big run in the fourth for 65 yrds.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightNation View Post
                    One thing that makes it tough on private schools like Gannon (yes they are fully funded) but half a scholarship goes a lot further at a state school compared to paying 40,000 when looking at NCAA equivalency numbers, especially hurts in the category of quality preferred walk ons as well. But trust me that doesn't make any excuse for starting 0-3 especially after being up 23-6 in the first half Saturday.
                    Many private schools also enhance their scholarships with additional financial aid...

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                      Many private schools also enhance their scholarships with additional financial aid...
                      yes, they have more scholarships available compared to the state schools

Comment

Originally posted by Tony33 View Post
                        Fake News or wrong, Mercyhurst slowed him down, had one big run in the fourth for 65 yrds.
                        Box score from Gannon-Mercyhurst last year shows 24 carries - 154 yards - long of 45 - average of 6.4. Who's the fake news or wrong now?

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                          Box score from Gannon-Mercyhurst last year shows 24 carries - 154 yards - long of 45 - average of 6.4. Who's the fake news or wrong now?
                          Take away the one big run like I said, 23 carries 109 yds, 4.7. and against IUP 20 carries 92 yds, 4.6 (since IUP is always the measuring stick on this board). Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony33 View Post
                            Take away the one big run like I said, 23 carries 109 yds, 4.7. and against IUP 20 carries 92 yds, 4.6 (since IUP is always the measuring stick on this board). Just saying.
                            Yeah, but with running backs everyone holds them in check, until that play they don't. Can't take away the big runs.

Comment

Almost 5 yards per carry is still nearly a first down every two plays. Not record threatening but still gets the job done and keeps the clock running.

Comment

IUP smothered him in the first half of that game. It was 35-0 before he got any breathing room. Unfortunately for him, he's Gannon's only real threat. IUP just sold out on him. I'd bet of his 92 yards about 70 were in the second half.

He's a great back ... very powerful. The better teams will just stack it on him and force GU to attempt different things. He had a tremendous season a year ago but now is a marked man.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X