Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: IUP at Cal #CoalBowl2018

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
    I tend to agree, but they have to be willing to walk, and take the risk - like Leveon. Just don't whine if it doesn't turn out the way you expect.

I don't think you would get college players to walk, though. Its more like their pro internship, they'll play for nothing, to hopefully get the next level job, without any understanding of their realistic chance. every once in a while one makes its unexpectedly, and that keeps all the rest buying those lottery tickets. Then there are some that just like to be on the team because its fun.
    I often say that playing college athletics is a choice. Less than 1% of college athletes move on to play their sport professionally. There isn't a requirement that says you have to attend college to play in the NFL or the NBA. There's only a "removed from high school" rule. If a guy thinks he's that good, he doesn't need to play at Alabama for three years. He can just sit out. Or, better yet, he can go play in some semi pro league, in front of nobody, with poor coaching, no exposure, inadequate facilities, and limited medical and training staff, just to get a paycheck.

The free education sounds pretty good.

Comment

• Comment

I do. 100%.

My "exhibit A" comment was in jest, but I believe what I wrote. Absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
          I often say that playing college athletics is a choice. Less than 1% of college athletes move on to play their sport professionally. There isn't a requirement that says you have to attend college to play in the NFL or the NBA. There's only a "removed from high school" rule. If a guy thinks he's that good, he doesn't need to play at Alabama for three years. He can just sit out. Or, better yet, he can go play in some semi pro league, in front of nobody, with poor coaching, no exposure, inadequate facilities, and limited medical and training staff, just to get a paycheck.

The free education sounds pretty good.
          Trace Mcsorely is worth 10x the amount of his scholarship to the university of penn state

Comment

Maybe. But if he wasn't there somebody else would be.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Maybe. But if he wasn't there somebody else would be.
              Maybe but their LIT AF now because of him

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
                Maybe but their LIT AF now because of him

Nope. There's only one team in PA that's LIT AF. They are in Erie.

Comment

Nope. There's only one team in PA that's LIT AF. They are in Erie.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
                    Trace Mcsorely is worth 10x the amount of his scholarship to the university of penn state
                    And when/if Trace McSorely flames out of pro football in 2 years, he'll need that Penn State degree. The value of that degree is worth far more than a couple bucks these kids can make playing a sport.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                      And when/if Trace McSorely flames out of pro football in 2 years, he'll need that Penn State degree. The value of that degree is worth far more than a couple bucks these kids can make playing a sport.

Could D1 players get a stipend? In my opinion ... yes. I don't think anybody is asking for them to get a big weekly check but $100 a week for some spending money wouldn't hurt. It would be about impossible to have a job during the season. A lot of kids come from very bleak backgrounds and don't have parents sending money.

Of course the next argument is you can't just pay football players. In the politically correct world, I agree. The other reality is they are the ones making the schools all the money.

Comment

Curious if any quotes have surfaced regarding IUP's play selection at the end of the game (the pick six)? Did Tort comment anywhere as to why they passed?

I know Lenny threw the ball but he didn't call the play. It would be interesting to hear the logic.

From the Observer-Reporter:

Comment

Could D1 players get a stipend? In my opinion ... yes. I don't think anybody is asking for them to get a big weekly check but $100 a week for some spending money wouldn't hurt. It would be about impossible to have a job during the season. A lot of kids come from very bleak backgrounds and don't have parents sending money.

Of course the next argument is you can't just pay football players. In the politically correct world, I agree. The other reality is they are the ones making the schools all the money.
                          They should be able to market themselves and get paid off their likeness at least

Comment

More and more, it is becoming clear that Spelling 101 was not a requisite course at your -- ahem -- superior alma maters.

It is McSORLEY.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                              More and more, it is becoming clear that Spelling 101 was not a requisite course at your -- ahem -- superior alma maters.

It is McSORLEY.

Comment

LOL all you want ... it's not a badge of honor, Homey.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X