Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

I have to agree with you on the running game:

2015 - 295 YPG
    2016 - 280 YPG
    2017 - 256 YPG
    2018 - 186 YPG
    2019 - 173 YPG

A huge drop off starting last year.
    And let's not forget the competition level to this point. Granted, New Haven is probably going to turn out to be a playoff team and Mercyhurst isn't a patsy. IUP rushed for just 109 against New Haven, and while they did go for 204 against Hurst, a lot of it was on chunk plays after the game was in hand. Last year against Cal, IUP rushed for 236, which is great, but 100 of that was by Lenny Williams, and they allowed 179. IUP ran for 69 yards against Slippery Rock, while allowing 223! Pretty easy to see where that one was lost.

All of this is a moot point if IUP can continue to do damage through the air as they have. Anyone who doesn't see how superior a thrower Maxwell is compared to Lenny is only kidding themselves, so that's an upgrade, especially since Maxwell can also run if called upon. It would also be unfair to not credit the o-line with how well they've pass blocked. They have only given up six sacks so far, for an average of 1.5 per game. That's really good, considering teams know they're going to throw it a lot.

Take my comments as less a criticism of the running game and more a recognition that the IUP offense isn't designed to move the ball on the ground as much as it once was. It seems they've evolved, and with Maxwell here, perhaps they'll have an identity. I'm not sure they had one last year as they tried to do a little of this, and a little of that.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

And let's not forget the competition level to this point. Granted, New Haven is probably going to turn out to be a playoff team and Mercyhurst isn't a patsy. IUP rushed for just 109 against New Haven, and while they did go for 204 against Hurst, a lot of it was on chunk plays after the game was in hand. Last year against Cal, IUP rushed for 236, which is great, but 100 of that was by Lenny Williams, and they allowed 179. IUP ran for 69 yards against Slippery Rock, while allowing 223! Pretty easy to see where that one was lost.

All of this is a moot point if IUP can continue to do damage through the air as they have. Anyone who doesn't see how superior a thrower Maxwell is compared to Lenny is only kidding themselves, so that's an upgrade, especially since Maxwell can also run if called upon. It would also be unfair to not credit the o-line with how well they've pass blocked. They have only given up six sacks so far, for an average of 1.5 per game. That's really good, considering teams know they're going to throw it a lot.

Take my comments as less a criticism of the running game and more a recognition that the IUP offense isn't designed to move the ball on the ground as much as it once was. It seems they've evolved, and with Maxwell here, perhaps they'll have an identity. I'm not sure they had one last year as they tried to do a little of this, and a little of that.

You play to your strength. Offensively, there's no comparison to last season. You have two legit TEs now. Numerous WRs. A much better, deeper OL. QB is significantly upgraded (over Lenny Jr. and Sr. seasons). And, of course, you have the legit game-breaker in Duane Brown.

The other really big item is they are much less predictable this season. Last year ... Ray Charles could see what play was coming next. They weren't really a threat to throw the ball downfield, etc. Now, as a defense, it's pretty much pick your poison. There are some legit WRs barely even getting their names called.

Personally, I'm fine with the lighter load on the RBs. The longer you can keep them fresh the better. Their time will come.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

You play to your strength. Offensively, there's no comparison to last season. You have two legit TEs now. Numerous WRs. A much better, deeper OL. QB is significantly upgraded (over Lenny Jr. and Sr. seasons). And, of course, you have the legit game-breaker in Duane Brown.

The other really big item is they are much less predictable this season. Last year ... Ray Charles could see what play was coming next. They weren't really a threat to throw the ball downfield, etc. Now, as a defense, it's pretty much pick your poison. There are some legit WRs barely even getting their names called.

Personally, I'm fine with the lighter load on the RBs. The longer you can keep them fresh the better. Their time will come.

Comment

Nice assessment of the IUP 2019 football squad by BigIndinans and Eye of the Hawk. The lightened load of the RBs is big because those guys have a hard time getting through the season due to the pounding they had to endure when the offense was more run heavy. In the two games I watched it was apparent the TEs play a bigger part in the offense than they have for a while. This is a good team, no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Cal has the nation leading run defense. I suppose this means IUP will be Pass first in the game. Of course KU, a pass first team, gained 175 rushing against them, So I guess we'll see when it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Cal has the nation leading run defense. I suppose this means IUP will be Pass first in the game. Of course KU, a pass first team, gained 175 rushing against them, So I guess we'll see when it happens.
              Digging deeper in to your stat there ... the only team capable of running the ball on them ... ran the ball on them.

With IUP's backs I don't think you base too much off of what Cal held struggling Ship, winless Edinboro and hapless St. Anselm to in those games.

Comment

As the season progress, especially in the cold weather, you must be able to run the ball. The running game can't be ignored.

Comment

The Pick 'Em players who have posted so far for this week:

IUP will win - 40

Cal will win - 6

It's the most lopsided game on the board as of right now.

Comment

Watched the Paul Tortorella Show and he said Streater and McAllister are both questionable for tomorrow. That was recorded on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Run defense is truly overrated; because sacks count in run total. I watched a 2nd string Seton Hill RB rip off some nice runs against the ROCK run D, but they sacked the QB several times; so the overall stats look like they really were tough against the run

Comment

IUP will win - 40

Cal will win - 6

Homer haters no doubt! :laugh::laugh:

Comment

The 55.5 point over/under for today's game has been a near 50/50 split on the Pick 'em.

I like IUP, 35-20 ..... UNDER ... by a 1/2

That said I have an inkling this turns in to a total track meet.

Comment

IUP will win - 40

Cal will win - 6

It also is very telling that we don't have a certain someone on this thread blowing his horn about all things Cal and deriding IUP and telling us that Lenny could not hit a barn with a football if he was 10 feet away. That pretty much tells you about all you need to know about this game. Take IUP.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

It also is very telling that we don't have a certain someone on this thread blowing his horn about all things Cal and deriding IUP and telling us that Lenny could not hit a barn with a football if he was 10 feet away. That pretty much tells you about all you need to know about this game. Take IUP.

-
                              ...and then SCI Mon Valley's first play looked like a bubble screen.

Comment

Defense is being run on.....

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X