Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FBS football

Originally posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    So having said all that how has OU who has the 111th defense out of 119 giving up 40+ a game and won 59-56 against 13 WVU the same week OSU beat 4 Michigan by 30 and playing sluggish against an overrated Texas team the next week merit entry into the playoff over OSU?!
    Because OU's only loss was on the road by a last second field goal and they defeated that same team later in the season, not a 29-point slam to a .500 team. And since you're identifying ranking of statistical categories, OU has the #1 overall offense and scoring offense in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
      Because OU's only loss was on the road by a last second field goal and they defeated that same team later in the season, not a 29-point slam to a .500 team. And since you're identifying ranking of statistical categories, OU has the #1 overall offense and scoring offense in the country.
      and Ohio state has number 2 offense in a conference that plays defense while not giving up 40 a game. Okay so that brings me back to my point. The committee values losses over wins, but they said the complete opposite last year. OU has beat nobody while OSU is 5-0 against ranked opponents with a top ten win in a blow out but one loss in the middle of the season trumps all other criterias

Comment

The media black balled OSU this year because of it and it cost them a spot in the playoff
        I agree with you there Homer!

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
          I agree with you there Homer!
          Does the media pick the teams now?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            Does the media pick the teams now?
            No BigIndians. But they REALLY play a part in the influencing the selection.

Comment

Comment

Comment

and Ohio state has number 2 offense in a conference that plays defense while not giving up 40 a game. Okay so that brings me back to my point. The committee values losses over wins, but they said the complete opposite last year. OU has beat nobody while OSU is 5-0 against ranked opponents with a top ten win in a blow out but one loss in the middle of the season trumps all other criterias

Comment

He was a Michigan fan. Until they got humiliated. Again.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      He was a Michigan fan. Until they got humiliated. Again.
                      Ohio State losing, or being left out of the playoffs, is as good as any of my teams winning. Maybe better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You guys think that this format will continue ? PAC 12 B1G champs not getting a shot 2 years in a row ? Your thoughts

The math doesn't work, with 5 power conferences, and 4 teams in the bracket...Just because a conference has history doesn't mean it's guaranteed anything. Performance gets you into the bracket...They SHOULD expand it to 16 teams in my mind. Currently, there are 10 conferences and the independents, so that's 11 automatic berths. Then award 5 at-large bids to make up the rest of the field...
                        Last edited by WarriorVoice; 12-05-2018, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                          The math doesn't work, with 5 power conferences, and 4 teams in the bracket...Just because a conference has history doesn't mean it's guaranteed anything. Performance gets you into the bracket...They SHOULD expand it to 16 teams in my mind. Currently, there are 10 conferences and the independents, so that's 11 automatic berths. Then award 5 at-large bids to make up the rest of the field...

Comment

I believe you are correct with your assessment here. I believe we are closer to that happening than any real expansion to the current playoff format. And if you've read my posts, you would see I'm not in favor of expanding it.

Comment

Seems to me that you could make the same argument about college basketball, but somehow they find 68 teams every year...No need to separate those conferences, so why would you do it in football??

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                                I just don't see that as being plausible. Expand to 16 teams, but how do you shorten the regular season? Teams won't give up non-conference home games against the sisters of the poor. Are you shortening the conference season? As it stands today, teams play 12 games. Most conferences play 9 conference games plus 3 non-conference games that you will not get athletic directors to buy into giving up. Teams that make a conference championship play 13. The bowl game makes 14. We are at 16 games then with the 16 team playoff. Are you playing straight through, or will we be playing college football at the end of January? Those are my questions.

I'm not in favor of expansion because I believe the best teams should be in. I like where the playoff is at currently. It leaves the taste of wanting more, but getting more won't necessarily make it better. The best thing is that every year there are 2 teams that we all agree should have had a shot. We say 2 teams, not 4, not 6, not 12. The more teams you add, the more watered down the field becomes. This isn't college basketball where there are over 350 teams playing at the same level. In my opinion, if we expanded to eight teams, most years we might all agree that there aren't eight teams who are deserving of being in. Most of these games have been non-competitive to this point already, expansion will only deliver more of those games. Let's be honest, the MAC champion is just going to be a sacrificial lamb in the first round. I'm not interested in watching that.

The other element that advocates of expansion don't necessarily think about is attendance. Add another round, plus conference championships. Are you telling me fans will travel to 4 weeks in a row (including conference championship weekend), drop literally thousands of dollars at Christmas time, and sell out stadiums each week for an expanded playoff? Even if you played the first round at a home site, it's lunacy to think that these games would sell out.

Keep it at four teams.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X