• Show
Clear All

Re: FBS football

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
    Would you settle for 8 teams??...It's a yes or no question...LOL

Comment

Remember, it's about giving student athletes the opportunity to compete, not about $$$. Don't you think TV networks would pay for more games??

Comment

That would mean 1st round byes, and I don't like doing that in a such a small field...

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
          I agree. On paper, yeah, it looks great. The results of the playoff however, just haven't indicated it will provide us with another round of great football. Most of the games to this point have either been blowouts or non-competitive. I just don't see how adding more teams to the field will improve that. Maybe in the middle in the 4-5 or 3-6 game, but otherwise, I don't see it.

And nobody has addressed my mention of the attendance issue. The more games you add, the more likely you are to have crowds at half capacity for these things. People aren't made of money. I don't care how rabid a fanbase is or well anybody thinks their fans travel. People aren't dropping thousands of dollars a week in succession during the 3-4 weeks leading up to Christmas. Isn't happening.
          Its true there are more blowouts than you'd expect. College football has lots of blowouts though. - Would you be surprised if Clemson blows out ND this year ?

But its the anticipation and the hype that's the most fun. Plus, it gives the less than interested football fan some reason to watch the game. How many would be hoping for a UCF upset of Alabama ? Sure, its probably over at the half, but so was Michigan - Penn State. Maybe make the lower ranked teams the home team.

Comment

Remember how we all hated the BCS? Now we all hate four teams. Next it will be 8 teams and we will all want 10 teams instead.

Human nature: want what you can't have.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Remember how we all hated the BCS? Now we all hate four teams. Next it will be 8 teams and we will all want 10 teams instead.

Or always wanting more.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
                You guys think that this format will continue ? PAC 12 B1G champs not getting a shot 2 years in a row ? Your thoughts
                To answer the original question, I believe at some point down the road they will expand the playoffs. I am not sure whether it will be to 6 or 8 or more, but I believe it will expand.

Comment

Bowl season begins on Dec 15th and runs until the championship game, 3 weeks later...Start the playoffs the weekend of Dec 8th, and you're in business...Plenty of time to arrange a 16 team playoff.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

How many are old enough to remember Nixon declaring that Undefeated Penn State was not the national champion ? ? https://www.mcall.com/sports/college...son-story.html

Comment

This is really no different in D2. And a few years ago, something similar was suggested for D2 football, but not based on conferences, but scholarship level. Man did that idea get puked on.

Comment

Remember, it's about giving student athletes the opportunity to compete, not about $$$. Don't you think TV networks would pay for more games??
                        Is this your first year following college football?
                        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Comment

That's a pretty heavy indictment of the lack of quality in college football if only 4 teams out of 132 are worthy of playing for a title...
                            That's reality though man. I wish there was more parity in the game. Save for the occasional regular season upset, there isn't. There's a dozen or so teams that have the resources to recruit, coach, and compete on a national level capable of getting them "in the mix" each and every season. After that, you're stretching how good or rich any of these teams or programs are.

ACC: Clemson, Florida State
                            Big 10: Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State
                            Big 12: Oklahoma, Texas
                            SEC: Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Texas A&M
                            Pac 12: USC, Washington
                            Other: Notre Dame

That's about it. Sure you have the occasional upstart like UCF. Hey, you might have a year like 2007 where the three best teams in the country all year are WVU, Kansas, and Missouri. But those things happen once a decade. When they happen, those teams will get in. I'm not an advocate of expanding the playoff just to see an upstart get killed because we want to employ the "any given Saturday" approach. I'm just not for it. We can disagree though.

The reality is that college football is slanted to that group of teams. That won't change. Adding more teams won't change it.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
                              and Ohio state has number 2 offense in a conference that plays defense while not giving up 40 a game. Okay so that brings me back to my point. The committee values losses over wins, but they said the complete opposite last year. OU has beat nobody while OSU is 5-0 against ranked opponents with a top ten win in a blow out but one loss in the middle of the season trumps all other criterias
                              Yeah, because there was a lot of defense in the 52-51 2OT win over 5-7 Maryland. Or a 36-31 win over 4-8 Nebraska at home. Yep, those are some convincing, quality wins right there.

And people complain about the D2 playoff selection process.

Comment

1. If you have 16 teams in a playoff and include the champion from every conference, then the money the Sun Belt gets from that one first round playoff game is going to be more than enough to offset the money the other schools in the conference would have made by playing a game against an SEC school.

2. The communities who rely on that money aren't playing home games for non-conference very often, anyway. The Sun Belt champion is on the road for almost every non-conference game unless they are playing an FCS school.

3. FCS schools would still get money games with P5 schools in the limited non-conference schedule as schools schedule them even more to try and avoid that third loss that would keep them out of the playoff. The G5 schools are going to make up the money when their conference gets paid for the one first-round playoff game.
                                2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X