Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FBS football

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
    Its true there are more blowouts than you'd expect. College football has lots of blowouts though. - Would you be surprised if Clemson blows out ND this year ?

But its the anticipation and the hype that's the most fun. Plus, it gives the less than interested football fan some reason to watch the game. How many would be hoping for a UCF upset of Alabama ? Sure, its probably over at the half, but so was Michigan - Penn State. Maybe make the lower ranked teams the home team.
    Clemson probably will blow out ND. Alabama will likely pull away from Oklahoma too. Further proving my point.

LOL.... I'm sure the ADs would agree to all that.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
      1. If you have 16 teams in a playoff and include the champion from every conference, then the money the Sun Belt gets from that one first round playoff game is going to be more than enough to offset the money the other schools in the conference would have made by playing a game against an SEC school.

2. The communities who rely on that money aren't playing home games for non-conference very often, anyway. The Sun Belt champion is on the road for almost every non-conference game unless they are playing an FCS school.

3. FCS schools would still get money games with P5 schools in the limited non-conference schedule as schools schedule them even more to try and avoid that third loss that would keep them out of the playoff. The G5 schools are going to make up the money when their conference gets paid for the one first-round playoff game.
      Provide actual data to back that claim up. That's a bold assumption.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
        Adding more teams isn't to excite college football fans...It's to give MORE teams the chance to play for something...After all, college athletics are about giving student-athletes the opportunity to compete, not to placate fans...
        Let's give them all participation trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
          That's reality though man. I wish there was more parity in the game. Save for the occasional regular season upset, there isn't. There's a dozen or so teams that have the resources to recruit, coach, and compete on a national level capable of getting them "in the mix" each and every season. After that, you're stretching how good or rich any of these teams or programs are.

ACC: Clemson, Florida State
          Big 10: Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State
          Big 12: Oklahoma, Texas
          SEC: Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Texas A&M
          Pac 12: USC, Washington
          Other: Notre Dame

That's about it. Sure you have the occasional upstart like UCF. Hey, you might have a year like 2007 where the three best teams in the country all year are WVU, Kansas, and Missouri. But those things happen once a decade. When they happen, those teams will get in. I'm not an advocate of expanding the playoff just to see an upstart get killed because we want to employ the "any given Saturday" approach. I'm just not for it. We can disagree though.

The reality is that college football is slanted to that group of teams. That won't change. Adding more teams won't change it.

Again without trying to equate basketball and football as totally equal, more teams in March Madness has made the tourney all that it has become. I feel the same thing would happen if you expand the CFB playoff...

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
            If Big 10 champ Ohio State wants in, don't lose to 6-6 Purdue, among other poor performances this season.
            If PAC 12 champ Washington wants in, don't play FCS North Dakota, among other poor performances this season.
            And you are good with Oklahoma's overtime win at home against Army, along with their regular season ending 4 game streak of giving up at least 40 points, to include 2 non-bowl teams (Kansas and Texas Tech)?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
              And you are good with Oklahoma's overtime win at home against Army, along with their regular season ending 4 game streak of giving up at least 40 points, to include 2 non-bowl teams (Kansas and Texas Tech)?
              Oh, I really don't care. Homer just made it sound as if there was no debate that OU should not be in, and there's clearly enough evidence to have such a debate.

Comment

Yes but the bowls helped promote the idea that certain conferences were superior to others. The Rose Bowl was a top 3 bowl if not the big one but now that ESPN has a say in things both conferences who fed the Rose Bowl are considered P5 by revenue yet we're told they're weak. ABC/ESPN own the exclusive broadcast rights to 35 of 40 bowls. ESPN outright owns 13 bowl games. To me that's not much different than UPMC owning both my insurance and the hospital.

Comment

Again without trying to equate basketball and football as totally equal, more teams in March Madness has made the tourney all that it has become. I feel the same thing would happen if you expand the CFB playoff...
                  With the exception of the latest expansion adding the play-in games. All that did was make it harder for the lower conferences to advance which would give them a bigger cut of the revenue. The same thing with the bowls. The March Madness and bowl revenue first goes to the conferences. If they can act like a cartel and monopolize the revenue it makes it even harder for a Butler or Central Florida to prove that they deserve to be in consideration. The football folks don't want something like March Madness happening where a Butler or Memphis makes the championship game.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                    With the exception of the latest expansion adding the play-in games. All that did was make it harder for the lower conferences to advance which would give them a bigger cut of the revenue. The same thing with the bowls. The March Madness and bowl revenue first goes to the conferences. If they can act like a cartel and monopolize the revenue it makes it even harder for a Butler or Central Florida to prove that they deserve to be in consideration. The football folks don't want something like March Madness happening where a Butler or Memphis makes the championship game.
                    Bingo.

Comment

They aren't remotely equal as far as dollars go.

Comment

What's ironic is that with playoffs being installed at the FBS level it's taken away from the traditional big game bowl games like the Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Fiesta Bowl. The Rose Bowl might be the best one out of the 4 with TOSU taking on Washington in what will be Myers last collegiate game as a HC before his 1 year retirement. Best of both conferences like it used to be before they created the college BCS games and playoff system. While Kyle Murray is exciting I don't see Oklahoma giving Bama too much of a fight in the Orange Bowl and the Sugar Bowl has a 9-4 Texas squad taking on a pissed off Georgia team which will probably be another beat down. The Fiesta Bowl might be interesting only to see if UCF can knock off a SEC opponent for the 2nd year in a row to finish 13-0 again and not be crowned NCAA champions.

Comment

Provide actual data to back that claim up. That's a bold assumption.
                          You can't use actual data, because it would depend on what the TV contract and advertising revenue is for the first-round playoff games. But there's 10 teams in the Sun Belt. A Sun Belt team gets what from an SEC school for playing them? 1 million dollars? 750k? And then they pay 250k to an FCS school to play them at home, which is offset by the gate, maybe? I am fairly certain that an Appalachian State vs Alabama first-round playoff game is going to bring in more than 10 million dollars to the Sun Belt conference from the TV contract and advertising revenue to split among the teams in the conference just as conferences do now from the NY6 bowl games. When Western Michigan played in the Cotton Bowl:

The Cotton Bowl distributed $6 million to the Mid-American Conference, and $2.11 million went for the MAC's required ticket purchase. The MAC retained an additional $2.75 million to be split among the 12 conference members later.
                          So almost 7 million dollars split among 12 schools. Over half a million dollars a piece. And that is for a Cotton Bowl against Wisconsin. I am fairly certain every single playoff game in a 16-team bracket is going to earn a G5 conference more than 1 million per school to distribute. I think that is a very safe assumption to make.
                          Last edited by KleShreen; 12-05-2018, 09:45 AM.
                          2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Let's give them all participation trophies.
                            Uncalled for...

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
                              So almost 7 million dollars split among 12 schools. Over half a million dollars a piece. And that is for a Cotton Bowl against Wisconsin. I am fairly certain every single playoff game in a 16-team bracket is going to earn a G5 conference more than 1 million per school to distribute. I think that is a very safe assumption to make.
                              Correct - this is why small schools are jumping at being D1 - for the NCAA men's basketball tournament revenue. The NEC gets almost $2 million a year for their share of revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                                Correct - this is why small schools are jumping at being D1 - for the NCAA men's basketball tournament revenue. The NEC gets almost $2 million a year for their share of revenue.

Is that $2m per team or the league as a whole gets $2m to divide up?

If it's the latter that's not really a lot of money?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X