Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FBS football

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Is that $2m per team or the league as a whole gets $2m to divide up?

If it's the latter that's not really a lot of money?
    The latter - but bowls work the same way. The money goes to the conference and is divided up.

Comment

College football has always been political. Regarding the "national champion" you can go back 49 years (1969) to when President Nixon declared Texas as national champion over an undefeated Penn State. At that time, PSU was the upstart - the best in "Eastern football" - which didn't mean too much in college football politics.

After that, Joe Paterno became the primary voice for a true national championship. It took 29 years (1998) for a championship format to be used. Since then only 15 schools have played in the championship game. That is indicative of the concentration of power ($$) in college football.

Interesting to note that if you go the whole way back to when the media started declaring a national champion, Princeton (28) still leads Alabama (22) by 6 and UPenn (7) still leads Penn State (2) by 5.

Comment

I despise Creepy Valley but Joe did get ripped that year with Ki-Jana Carter, Kerry Collins, etc.

Comment

Looks like an 8-team playoff is coming!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...playoff-format

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
            Looks like an 8-team playoff is coming!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...playoff-format
            Then in four years when everybody says 8 isn't enough it will be 12 teams. Then, repeat. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Then in four years when everybody says 8 isn't enough it will be 12 teams. Then, repeat. Lol.
              I respectfully disagree. I believer 8 is the perfect format. You can hold the first round games on the campus of the higher seed, and then continue with the following two rounds as the set-up for the current model.

The conference champion from each Power 5 school, plus 3 wild-cards. That is the fairest method in my opinion. It gives schools like UCF a chance, and schools like Boise and Utah from years past a chance. I am not saying they would win it, but lets be honest, each time those schools made a major bowl game, they won against one of those Power 5 schools.

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post
                I respectfully disagree. I believer 8 is the perfect format. You can hold the first round games on the campus of the higher seed, and then continue with the following two rounds as the set-up for the current model.

The conference champion from each Power 5 school, plus 3 wild-cards. That is the fairest method in my opinion. It gives schools like UCF a chance, and schools like Boise and Utah from years past a chance. I am not saying they would win it, but lets be honest, each time those schools made a major bowl game, they won against one of those Power 5 schools.
                As IUPbigINDIANS alluded to, playoff field expansion is a continuous effort. D1 basketball went from 32 teams in 1975 to 64 teams in 1985. It's is now at 68 teams and there's talk from the ACC for a field of 72.

Comment

I think there'll always be pushes for expansion, but I see an 8-team field being more stable than 4 teams. P5 conferences were never going to be happy with risking being left out of the playoff. After 8 teams, it'll be a while before it expands further to 12 teams. I could see 10 teams happening if the playoff proves to be lucrative, and to give higher seeds more of an advantage if lower seeds start going on runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                    As IUPbigINDIANS alluded to, playoff field expansion is a continuous effort. D1 basketball went from 32 teams in 1975 to 64 teams in 1985. It's is now at 68 teams and there's talk from the ACC for a field of 72.
                    We did the same in D2 going from 24 to 28. I imagine its only a matter of time before its at 32.

As I mentioned before, the push to go above 64 in the March Madness bracket is led by P5 conferences who want bigger pieces of the revenue sharing. Its the same reason they like the growth of bowl games. The more bowls featuring 6-5 teams from P5 conferences the more ESPN money to redistribute to conference teams. Being a crappy team in a conference with teams competing in major bowls (we're looking at you, Vanderbilt and Kansas) can be very profitable.

G5 conferences should start blocking games with P5 conferences to force equal access to the playoff. It would force P5 schools to have to schedule FCS or other P5 schools, which they dislike doing unless its a rivalry.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
                      I think there'll always be pushes for expansion, but I see an 8-team field being more stable than 4 teams. P5 conferences were never going to be happy with risking being left out of the playoff. After 8 teams, it'll be a while before it expands further to 12 teams. I could see 10 teams happening if the playoff proves to be lucrative, and to give higher seeds more of an advantage if lower seeds start going on runs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

G5 conferences should start blocking games with P5 conferences to force equal access to the playoff. It would force P5 schools to have to schedule FCS or other P5 schools, which they dislike doing unless its a rivalry.

Comment

• Re: FBS football

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

Comment

• Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Its unfair to punish because of schedule. I saw a school who has one team scheduled every year through 2026. A team can be a strong team in spite of its conference - case in point with the Harvard of Indiana County. The PSAC isn't considered a P5 in D2 but they get a shot. Nobody will ever admit it but one of the things the P5 is afraid of is an upstart like UCF making us question the superiority of the P5 conferences. As I said before, they absolutely don't want to spread around the TV money.

I think the best compromise is to have the championship games and give automatic spots to conference champions. Sure, that leaves you open to having a mediocre Pitt team in the playoff if they beat Clemson - but allowing for some objective way to decide at-large bids. Sorry, Notre Dame. You can't win a conference so you have to compete with everyone else for an at-large spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                                case in point with the Harvard of Indiana County.
                                Now that's some high praise. Can you even say that?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X