Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Topic - Grand Valley Controversy

Interesting story out of Grand Valley State University Football.

Probably not a good idea to joke about leadership tips with Hitler..

Link: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/28/us/co....html?ofs=fbia

Originally posted by IUsuallyPonder View Post

Exactly why you never let assistants do interviews.

Lordy.

Comment

He wasn't making a joke. Apparently, just being incredibly ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

He wasn't making a joke. Apparently, just being incredibly ignorant.
        You hit it right on the head....he was just being incredibly ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

You hit it right on the head....he was just being incredibly ignorant.
          Well, ignorant of who he was speaking to, maybe - of course there are hundreds of books and documentaries written about Hitler, because it is a fascinating topic. But people these days act like Victorian ladies who get the vapors whenever someone speaks the name of certain evil historical figures -he had to add Christopher Columbus, oh my. Same type of thinking that caused the "Kobe was a rapist" thing going around twitter.

But yeah, he let his guard down, being a football coach, he should have said Vince Lombardi, or Bear Bryant, and left it go at that. god forbid if he said Joe Paterno.

Comment

Comment

He's an idiot but its indicative of the fact that we don't teach history and sociology very well in our country.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Well, ignorant of who he was speaking to, maybe - of course there are hundreds of books and documentaries written about Hitler, because it is a fascinating topic. But people these days act like Victorian ladies who get the vapors whenever someone speaks the name of certain evil historical figures -he had to add Christopher Columbus, oh my. Same type of thinking that caused the "Kobe was a rapist" thing going around twitter.

But yeah, he let his guard down, being a football coach, he should have said Vince Lombardi, or Bear Bryant, and left it go at that. god forbid if he said Joe Paterno.
                We clearly have different sensitivity levels to this topic. What is well known is that you don't cite Hitler as a great leader. You just don't. It is like citing slavery as a 'great economic system.'

Comment

We clearly have different sensitivity levels to this topic. What is well known is that you don't cite Hitler as a great leader. You just don't. It is like citing slavery as a 'great economic system.'
                  "very fine people on both sides"

Comment

Did he say Hitler had some great ideas, but went too far? I remember when hockey Hall of Famer Bobby Hull dropped that little bomb.

Comment

Since he has a degree in history he was asked who some historical figures are that he'd like to have dinner with. The exact quote is "This is probably not going to get a good review, but I'm going to say Adolf Hitler. It was obviously very sad and he had bad motives, but the way he was able to lead was second-to-none. How he rallied a group and a following, I want to know how he did that. Bad intentions of course, but you can't deny he wasn't a great leader."

Holy crap. THE GUY HAS A DEGREE IN HISTORY AND STILL RATIONALIZED HITLER.

Comment

I also find it interesting that someone from the athletic department tried to have the comments removed to make things easier. For whom?

Comment

Will they terminate him? Can they, legally?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            Will they terminate him? Can they, legally?
                            That's the $64,000 question. But it will likely cost more than $64,000 to terminate him if it's determined he has a legal case. I'm sure they are looking into this right now. On the other hand, he was just hired a week before. Is he a "probationary" employee at this point?

Comment

Yeah, I suppose. Or maybe we are more sensitive to different things. Would you would throw him under the bus for what he said ? to prove what ? Do you really think he is a crypto - Nazi ?

I am sensitive to people judging someone on one statement - a bad, impulsive answer to a well known bad interview question, when I'd be willing to bet that he has also done alot of good things in his life, certainly if they are hiring him based on past achievements and behavior, I'd suppose he has something going for him.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X