Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    This is an interesting one...head coach at Stetson resigned...to become president at little Doane University in Nebraska.

Leave a comment:

• shipfbfan1
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Wow I missed Lance Leipold to Kansas.
    I'm surprised he took that job. Kansas is probably the hardest place to coach within the P5 with the outdated facilities, lack of history on the gridiron especially when competing against Texas, A&M, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State & heck even WVU. I was hoping when Temple lost Manny Diaz they went and brought Leipoid to Philly, I'm sure he would have done better than the current coach we are stuck with but administration went with stability over improving the team.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Wow I missed Lance Leipold to Kansas.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Worth noting that RB Jaleel McLaughlin, who gained eleventy gazillion yards in two years at D2 Notre Dame, transferred to Youngstown last year and was their leading rusher this spring.
    Wow that got lost in the shuffle. I remember there were heavy rumors he was trying to leave ND but I don't recall reading it on here (when it actually happened).

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    Youngstown State hit with NCAA penalties from recruiting infractions during the Bo Pelini era. 41 impermissible contacts with a potential DII transfer. Hmm.
    Worth noting that RB Jaleel McLaughlin, who gained eleventy gazillion yards in two years at D2 Notre Dame, transferred to Youngstown last year and was their leading rusher this spring.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Anybody watch the Pitt Blue and Gold game today? I would imagine the IUPMonk did. Nice showing for some players. The gold won 30-0. There certainly was some talent on display. i see Pickett having a big year with some very nice targets to throw to. One intriguing one was former Florida TE Lucas Krull #7. 6-6, 260 with a 4.6. Some pundits saying he could possibly be a first round pick next April in the NFL draft.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Youngstown State hit with NCAA penalties from recruiting infractions during the Bo Pelini era. 41 impermissible contacts with a potential DII transfer. Hmm.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    A rash of D2 basketball stars are entering the portal ... to move up.

This is going to become a yearly item.
    I know of a team in Oakland that would probably be willing to take just about anybody at this point!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    A rash of D2 basketball stars are entering the portal ... to move up.

This is going to become a yearly item.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    It lasted just two seasons, 1998 and 1999. They went 3-8 overall both seasons. 2-8 in conference both years. 1998 was the last year of the MIFC before it folded and became the GLIAC. Ironically their only 2 OOC games that year are now PSAC teams, Gannon and Mansfield (both wins).

I don't believe Westminster was in a good place to do scholarship athletics at the time. They're small (under 2,000) and not wealthy by private college standards (~$100M endowment). Athletic aid would have had to be new discounting figured into their budget - and there's not a lot of wiggle room in a school of 2,000. Unrelated, but Westminster is struggling like many other PSAC West schools - their enrollment is down over 60% in the last decade.
    Last edited by Fightingscot82; 03-11-2021, 03:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Can you give me a recap of when Westminster joined the GLIAC? I remember it but very faintly. Didn't it only last a year or two?

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Thanks. Interesting. I did always wonder what class they were in and why they never seemed to play PSAC schools.
    PSAC schools used to play DIII in football back when most of us were NAIA. Westminster and Geneva were DII and/or NAIA more recently and played PSAC West a bit more often.

I'm all for playing a DIII in football vs no game but I think I'm in the minority on that one. I did some quick research on the last time each PSAC school played a true DIII opponent:

Bloomsburg - 1985 (Buffalo State)
    California - 1987 (Salem International)
    Clarion - 1979 (Ithaca)
    East Stroudsburg - 1994 (Springfield)
    Edinboro - 1984 (District of Columbia)
    Gannon - 2001 (Alma, Thiel, Westminster)
    Indiana - 1977 (Juniata, Wilkes)
    Kutztown - 1985 (Salem International)
    Lock Haven - 1996 (Keane State)
    Mercyhurst - 1997 (Baldwin Wallace, Ithaca, St. John Fisher, Gannon, Buffalo State, Ohio Wesleyan)
    Millersville - 2015 (Ursinus)
    Seton Hill - 2006 (McDaniel, Wesley
    Shepherd - 1990 (Salisbury State)
    Shippensburg - 1973 (Brockport State)
    Slippery Rock - 1990 (Springfield)
    West Chester - 1986 (Glassboro State/Rowan)

Cal, Kutztown, Lock Haven, Millersville, and Slippery Rock lost those games.

Mercyhurst went 4-2 against DIII schools as an NAIA team in 1997. Seton Hill went 1-1 against DIII schools in 2006.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Thanks. Interesting. I did always wonder what class they were in and why they never seemed to play PSAC schools.
    Gettysburg College is a pretty 'elitist' type of school. Not cheap. I've went to a couple football games there. Very similar atmosphere to most D2 games.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Gettysburg is DIII in the Centennial Conference with a lot of other small privates in PA & MD: Dickinson, F&M, Haverford, Johns Hopkins, Ursinus, etc. Juniata plays football in this conference.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Yes, you got hit in one of your limbs and off it came. They wouldn't even sanitize the saw or anything from the last poor soul who got his arm or leg hacked off.

I wonder how many of us tourist crowd would really like Gettysburg if we actually saw and smelled the carnage and wrecked lives for ourselves for even a few minutes? I doubt that we would ever even consider going back there to be honest. Bodies laying everywhere bloating in the heat. And the dead were probably the lucky ones compared to those who were maimed and wounded.

What is Gettysburg College? Are they a D-III football program. Never any mention of IUP or any PSAC school ever playing them over the years.
    Gettysburg is DIII in the Centennial Conference with a lot of other small privates in PA & MD: Dickinson, F&M, Haverford, Johns Hopkins, Ursinus, etc. Juniata plays football in this conference.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X