X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

You read the old stories ... the hospitals had piles of arms and legs. Stacked. Cut them off. That was the cure. I can't even imagine. Gettysburg in July is always about 95 degrees, too.

I have read some very interesting books this past year ... mainly pertaining to the days following the battle. What was left behind is just amazing. They claim the creek at the bottom of Little Round Top (running past the Slaughter Pen and Devil's Den) was red (blood) for weeks.
    Yes, you got hit in one of your limbs and off it came. They wouldn't even sanitize the saw or anything from the last poor soul who got his arm or leg hacked off.

I wonder how many of us tourist crowd would really like Gettysburg if we actually saw and smelled the carnage and wrecked lives for ourselves for even a few minutes? I doubt that we would ever even consider going back there to be honest. Bodies laying everywhere bloating in the heat. And the dead were probably the lucky ones compared to those who were maimed and wounded.

What is Gettysburg College? Are they a D-III football program. Never any mention of IUP or any PSAC school ever playing them over the years.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

A true bloodletting to be sure. Just think what it must have been like for those poor wounded rebs riding back south in Imboden's wagons. That must have been absolute hell on earth.

Antietam Creek still stands as the single bloodiest day in American history (or maybe the Covid 19 death rolls beat it??). I thought that place had a rather odd feel to it.

Gettysburg countryside is an amazingly beautiful place to be honest. I like the reb position along Seminary Ridge and of course Little Round Top the best.

My last trip there a few summers ago I finally located Iverson's Pitts. Wholesale slaughter there of North Carolina infantry regiments. After the battle some of the black farm workers were convinced the place was haunted. They may have been right.
    You read the old stories ... the hospitals had piles of arms and legs. Stacked. Cut them off. That was the cure. I can't even imagine. Gettysburg in July is always about 95 degrees, too.

I have read some very interesting books this past year ... mainly pertaining to the days following the battle. What was left behind is just amazing. They claim the creek at the bottom of Little Round Top (running past the Slaughter Pen and Devil's Den) was red (blood) for weeks.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

I've spent a lot of time at Gettysburg ... one of my favorite places on Earth.

I haven't, either..

I've even stayed at The Cashtown Inn on Halloween. lol..

But, you never know. What happened there over 3 days is beyond horrific.
    A true bloodletting to be sure. Just think what it must have been like for those poor wounded rebs riding back south in Imboden's wagons. That must have been absolute hell on earth.

Antietam Creek still stands as the single bloodiest day in American history (or maybe the Covid 19 death rolls beat it??). I thought that place had a rather odd feel to it.

Gettysburg countryside is an amazingly beautiful place to be honest. I like the reb position along Seminary Ridge and of course Little Round Top the best.

My last trip there a few summers ago I finally located Iverson's Pitts. Wholesale slaughter there of North Carolina infantry regiments. After the battle some of the black farm workers were convinced the place was haunted. They may have been right.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I believe that ghosts and specters exist----but I have been all through the Gettysburg battlefield in both daylight and darkness and I encountered absolutely nothing at all there. But I have talked to people that I consider highly credible and they related some odd stories about being there. So who knows?
    I've spent a lot of time at Gettysburg ... one of my favorite places on Earth.

I haven't, either..

I've even stayed at The Cashtown Inn on Halloween. lol..

But, you never know. What happened there over 3 days is beyond horrific.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
    I used to live in Leesburg right down the hill from Balls Bluff where that one battle took place where a congressman was killed and the Union army was forced to jump of the bluffs into the Potomac where quite a few drowned. There are still grave markers at the sight where the congressman fell and those bluffs are steep. I always got a creepy feeling up there and there are stories about the place being haunted. I never saw any specters the few times the kids and I went up there, but I was there when the sun was nice and bright and not at dusk or night when the alleged haunting take place.
    Yup, Ball's Bluff is pretty famous. Oddly I have never been to that one. But certainly a number of those battlefields in Virginia more or less overlap one another.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Gettysburg turned those ghosts in to a multi-million dollar industry.
    I believe that ghosts and specters exist----but I have been all through the Gettysburg battlefield in both daylight and darkness and I encountered absolutely nothing at all there. But I have talked to people that I consider highly credible and they related some odd stories about being there. So who knows?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
    I used to live in Leesburg right down the hill from Balls Bluff where that one battle took place where a congressman was killed and the Union army was forced to jump of the bluffs into the Potomac where quite a few drowned. There are still grave markers at the sight where the congressman fell and those bluffs are steep. I always got a creepy feeling up there and there are stories about the place being haunted. I never saw any specters the few times the kids and I went up there, but I was there when the sun was nice and bright and not at dusk or night when the alleged haunting take place.
    Gettysburg turned those ghosts in to a multi-million dollar industry.

Leave a comment:

• IUPMonk
    replied

That would be the Wacko From Waco incident that you are referring.

Cold Harbor (battlefield) felt a bit eerie to me.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Thank God for Chip Gaines.

I visited the site of the Branch Davidson Compound outside of Waco about two years ago. I was there for a work trip and took a cruise out one afternoon. It's a good 10 miles or so outside of Waco ... middle of nowhere.

I don't believe in ghosts and stuff but it's a pretty creepy place. There's still so much divide there all these years later over the incident.
    That would be the Wacko From Waco incident that you are referring.

Cold Harbor (battlefield) felt a bit eerie to me.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

And yet still not the worst things to have ever happened in Waco.
    Thank God for Chip Gaines.

I visited the site of the Branch Davidson Compound outside of Waco about two years ago. I was there for a work trip and took a cruise out one afternoon. It's a good 10 miles or so outside of Waco ... middle of nowhere.

I don't believe in ghosts and stuff but it's a pretty creepy place. There's still so much divide there all these years later over the incident.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

What a run at Baylor over the past 20 years.

The basketball murder scandal was the dirtiest cover-up I've ever seen.

Add the recent Art Briles era ... what a disaster.
    And yet still not the worst things to have ever happened in Waco.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Wouldn't that be rich. Liberty hired the AD who worked to cover up football sexual misconduct allegations at Baylor.
    What a run at Baylor over the past 20 years.

The basketball murder scandal was the dirtiest cover-up I've ever seen.

Add the recent Art Briles era ... what a disaster.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

And somehow after a year or two he will be given a shot to revive his career at a D1 program. Wouldn't surprise me if he was tapped to replace Freeze at Liberty when he leaves for a big time program in 2022 or 2023.
    Wouldn't that be rich. Liberty hired the AD who worked to cover up football sexual misconduct allegations at Baylor.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

And somehow after a year or two he will be given a shot to revive his career at a D1 program. Wouldn't surprise me if he was tapped to replace Freeze at Liberty when he leaves for a big time program in 2022 or 2023.
    Maybe. He is 67 (I was shocked to read he was that old).

Leave a comment:

• shipfbfan1
    replied
    Les Miles is out at Kansas amid the recent LSU allegations.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X