X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

The sad part is that these players aren't hiding that they are just chasing the bag anymore. Dayon Hayes wasn't getting a better opportunity elsewhere from a playing time standpoint (he was a returning starter on a defense which returned almost everybody). And he really isn't going anywhere that has a better track record of putting defensive linemen into the NFL, because Pitt is one of the best in the country at doing that. Somebody just called with cash and he went running. Solomon Deshields just hit the portal too.

Pitt's actually done a significantly better job at keeping things in check compared to many other programs regarding abrupt portal departures. This isn't a Pitt thing. It's an all over the country thing. Louisville just randomly had 5 starters enter the portal this morning. Why? That team had a ton coming back. They overachieved last year and would have had a great chance to have a big year. This has nothing to do with football anymore.

Alliance 412 is good collective. They are well organized and they are well funded (despite not being the collective for a significant player in college football). Dayon Hayes was supposedly "well paid" based on everything I've heard. He toyed with entering the portal after last season, asked Alliance 412 for more money, got it, and then claimed he was a "hometown hero" for coming back to Pitt for his senior year. He tweeted "H2P" seven times yesterday. A week ago he spoke about mentoring the young players on Pitt's defense. LOL

The inside story is that since the first of the year, two players on Pitt's defense asked for significant sums of money/compensation. One asked for 1 million dollars. The other asked for 300,000 and a car purchased in his name. Dayon Hayes and Solomon Deshields are both in the transfer portal. I'm not saying those are the two guys, but it's a good assumption.

Unfortunately (at that level) this is the new normal. This isn't 'collegiate' any more. Those guys are professional athletes, and 'free agency' rules the day. Well, that 'bag' rules the day.

But, we're talking serious money for a lot of these guys. Not all, but the stars are making serious bank as college 'students'.

"We aren't here to play school."

At least your Buckeye was honest.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Pitt DL Daylon Hayes finished Spring Ball and promptly entered the portal. He apologized to HC Narduzzi but said "this is a business ..."

Good Lord.
    The sad part is that these players aren't hiding that they are just chasing the bag anymore. Dayon Hayes wasn't getting a better opportunity elsewhere from a playing time standpoint (he was a returning starter on a defense which returned almost everybody). And he really isn't going anywhere that has a better track record of putting defensive linemen into the NFL, because Pitt is one of the best in the country at doing that. Somebody just called with cash and he went running. Solomon Deshields just hit the portal too.

Pitt's actually done a significantly better job at keeping things in check compared to many other programs regarding abrupt portal departures. This isn't a Pitt thing. It's an all over the country thing. Louisville just randomly had 5 starters enter the portal this morning. Why? That team had a ton coming back. They overachieved last year and would have had a great chance to have a big year. This has nothing to do with football anymore.

Alliance 412 is good collective. They are well organized and they are well funded (despite not being the collective for a significant player in college football). Dayon Hayes was supposedly "well paid" based on everything I've heard. He toyed with entering the portal after last season, asked Alliance 412 for more money, got it, and then claimed he was a "hometown hero" for coming back to Pitt for his senior year. He tweeted "H2P" seven times yesterday. A week ago he spoke about mentoring the young players on Pitt's defense. LOL

The inside story is that since the first of the year, two players on Pitt's defense asked for significant sums of money/compensation. One asked for 1 million dollars. The other asked for 300,000 and a car purchased in his name. Dayon Hayes and Solomon Deshields are both in the transfer portal. I'm not saying those are the two guys, but it's a good assumption.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Pitt DL Daylon Hayes finished Spring Ball and promptly entered the portal. He apologized to HC Narduzzi but said "this is a business ..."

Good Lord.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Not a good week for former WPIAL and Pitt star Paris Ford.
    I caught that as I was heading out the door this morning and wondered if it was him or an unfortunately coincidental name.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Not a good week for former WPIAL and Pitt star Paris Ford.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by The P in IUP View Post

I've worked in both WV and MD in public edu that follow the county in charge model. It hasn't been any more effective. The haves or certain school districts still get favored status. School A in the county can play by their own rules and not have issues, but School B gets in trouble if they do the same. Though it I guess it is a bit easier for consolidation if the county and the state are the driving force. Certain connections can still block things. My wife's old school district out in west pa should probably consolidate but unfortunately the closest school district is actually the next county over. An in county consolidation would turn in to a long bus ride for kids. May help with the teacher shortage but likely won't help with the bus driver shortage.
    Yup. In general it's always going to be socio-economic considerations rather than a line in the map that determines favored schools. If a school gets a good reputation, people with the means to do so move near it so their kids can attend, boosting property values and tax base in that area. For the school that has a negative reputation, just the opposite happens and perception becomes reality as it loses support. If a lower-income community takes great pride in its school and gives it what support it can, you can still have good outcomes, but they definitely have to row upstream.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Former Edinboro All American DK McDonald has left the Phiadelphia Eagles to be Co-Defensive Coordinator at Kansas.

https://www2.kusports.com/sports/col...oaching-staff/

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by The P in IUP View Post

I've worked in both WV and MD in public edu that follow the county in charge model. It hasn't been any more effective. The haves or certain school districts still get favored status. School A in the county can play by their own rules and not have issues, but School B gets in trouble if they do the same. Though it I guess it is a bit easier for consolidation if the county and the state are the driving force. Certain connections can still block things. My wife's old school district out in west pa should probably consolidate but unfortunately the closest school district is actually the next county over. An in county consolidation would turn in to a long bus ride for kids. May help with the teacher shortage but likely won't help with the bus driver shortage.
    It’s a concept that would have zero chance of happening in PA.

Leave a comment:

• The P in IUP
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I always thought the counties should run the schools but that would never happen. The rich districts would balk at that all day long.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Educators aren't business people. School boards are morons. Hence, what we have today.
    The state should put their foot down. I mean why should they keep funding all these rinky dink school districts?

I always thought the counties should run the schools but that would never happen. The rich districts would balk at that all day long.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

I truthfully could not care less on the matter of merging districts or arguing with you about the differences within the commonwealth once you pass through Harrisburg. I’ll let you have that debate with others. I merely don’t believe Aliquippa should be playing 5A football. One literally has nothing to do with the other.

I don’t even live in Pennsylvania anymore, and have not for 8-9 years. Columbus has a mixture of the approaches seen in Eastern and Western PA. You have large districts here, run under a single school board, but you have multiple high schools (sometimes 4-6) within one district. Outside of Columbus, or the 270 outer belt, it is mostly like what you see in Western PA. Extremely small and tiny school districts in rural farm towns. But they also structure and manage athletic competition and classification differently here. It’s pretty common and regular for those schools to travel significant distances to play a game against a similarly sized school. Just the way it is.

You can argue about this all you want. I just have no true opinion on the matter and no interest in entertaining the topic of merging school districts or not. I really don’t care. Again, on the topic, I just don’t think Aliquippa should be forced to jump up to 5A. That’s where it starts and ends for me.
    But Beaver County isn't rural. It's part of the Pittsburgh Metropolitan Area. Aliquippa and Ambridge should be merged with Hopewell and made one district. Then your issue would be a moot point. Nobody would be a transfer....and they'd probably still kick everyone's ass. There would be one high school to keep in order instead of three. At some point there has to be consolidation. This cannot keep going financially.

There should not be so many 1A and 2A schools in a large metropolitan area. Guess how many public 1A schools there are in District 1? Three. Bristol and Morrisville in Bucks County are hold outs to merging in with their bigger neighbors and little Jenkintown in Montgomery County has kept being taken in by the much bigger Abington School District. Jenkintown is wealthy enough to not care and Bristol and Morrisville are blue collar holdouts.

1A and 2A should be the bastion of rural schools in small counties like Indiana. There should not be those sized schools in urban/suburban metro regions.
    Last edited by IUPNation; 01-27-2024, 05:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I can't believe you think that these dying towns can still support a school district.

It's utter waste and inefficiency.

Aliquippa is a dying town of 9000 people and they are struggling to keep a school afloat. That is the problem...not forcing them to play up in level. Beaver County has too many dinky high schools in town that have seen better days. That whole swath of Beaver County could consoldate and nobody would have to transfer anywhere and they'd have the numbers for a higher classification and the players to mow everyone down.

Allegheny County has 41 school districts for 800000 people outside of the city limits while Montgomery County had half as many for the same amount of people in a county that is growing much faster.

Wake up to reality. The days of the dinky school that trots out the pop pops who won the WPIAL 50 - 60 years ago needs to end. The town won't die if the school gets merged. Taxpayer money might go further...schools improved...less overhead....

Most of your top schools districts are located where? Suburban Philadelphia. Tell me again how the Yinzer way is working out better.
    Educators aren't business people. School boards are morons. Hence, what we have today.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

I can't believe you think that these dying towns can still support a school district.

Aliquippa is a dying town of 9000 people and they are struggling to keep a school afloat. That is the problem...not forcing them to play up in level. Beaver County has too many dinky high schools in town that have seen better days. That whole swath of Beaver County could consoldate and nobody would have to transfer anywhere and they'd have the numbers for a higher classification and the players to mow everyone down.

Allegheny County has 41 school districts for 800000 people outside of the city limits while Montgomery County had half as many for the same amount of people in a county that is growing much faster.

Wake up to reality. The days of the dinky school that trots out the pop pops who won the WPIAL 50 - 60 years ago needs to end. The town won't die if the school gets merged. Taxpayer money might go further...schools improved...less overhead....

Most of your top schools districts are located where? Suburban Philadelphia. Tell me again how the Yinzer way is working out better.
    I truthfully could not care less on the matter of merging districts or arguing with you about the differences within the commonwealth once you pass through Harrisburg. I’ll let you have that debate with others. I merely don’t believe Aliquippa should be playing 5A football. One literally has nothing to do with the other.

I don’t even live in Pennsylvania anymore, and have not for 8-9 years. Columbus has a mixture of the approaches seen in Eastern and Western PA. You have large districts here, run under a single school board, but you have multiple high schools (sometimes 4-6) within one district. Outside of Columbus, or the 270 outer belt, it is mostly like what you see in Western PA. Extremely small and tiny school districts in rural farm towns. But they also structure and manage athletic competition and classification differently here. It’s pretty common and regular for those schools to travel significant distances to play a game against a similarly sized school. Just the way it is.

You can argue about this all you want. I just have no true opinion on the matter and no interest in entertaining the topic of merging school districts or not. I really don’t care. Again, on the topic, I just don’t think Aliquippa should be forced to jump up to 5A. That’s where it starts and ends for me.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

On this, you are absolutely correct.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    I can’t believe it took this long for one of our eastern PA friends to say that districts should just merge and disappear.

Last edited by IUPNation; 01-27-2024, 09:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X