X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Ohio State with its third-string QB and no Harrison was going nowhere against a good defense. They weren't always that impressive in the B1G this season. Their defense actually won the game against Penn State and kept them in the game against Michigan. If McCord wanted to transfer, hard to see why he wanted to go to Sorry-Excuse. Maybe he's getting a good deal there.
    Not to mention that THE Overrated State University barely beat UJoisey ... This is not the dominating Buckeyes offense we're used to seeing over the years.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    I'll be honest, I'm MUCH more interested in the national championship game now that its someone other than the recent retreads. I would prefer Washington but a B1G team winning is exactly what the SEC homers need. Ratings bonanza for national sports talk.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Go Washington!!

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Ole’ Miss was down one starter, but even that can be significant depending on position. Just ask Ohio State. The “fire Ryan Day” cries are back out in force now because it’s looking like he badly mishandled the QB situation and now he has none. I dislike that guy as much as anyone but Ohio State probably beats Missouri 9 out of 10 times if they had their QB and Harrison, Jr.

I agree that Georgia still easily beats a fully loaded FSU team. The committee got it right by leaving them out, but they got it wrong by keeping Georgia out in my opinion. Georgia would be favored against any opponent right now. If this year was the 12 team tournament I would put my money on Georgia to win it again.
    Georgia had its chance to be in it. They couldn't win their league.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Ole Miss had some major dudes out, too.

If both were full strength, I'd still have taken the Rebels. James just gets smoked playing teams who can punch back.

UGA and FSU was just a travesty. I'd still take UGA by two scores even if both had full rosters. UGA not in the playoff is a whole different discussion.

Ohio State played like it didn't even want to be there.
    Ole’ Miss was down one starter, but even that can be significant depending on position. Just ask Ohio State. The “fire Ryan Day” cries are back out in force now because it’s looking like he badly mishandled the QB situation and now he has none. I dislike that guy as much as anyone but Ohio State probably beats Missouri 9 out of 10 times if they had their QB and Harrison, Jr.

I agree that Georgia still easily beats a fully loaded FSU team. The committee got it right by leaving them out, but they got it wrong by keeping Georgia out in my opinion. Georgia would be favored against any opponent right now. If this year was the 12 team tournament I would put my money on Georgia to win it again.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Roll

Damn

Tide

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Ohio State with its third-string QB and no Harrison was going nowhere against a good defense. They weren't always that impressive in the B1G this season. Their defense actually won the game against Penn State and kept them in the game against Michigan. If McCord wanted to transfer, hard to see why he wanted to go to Sorry-Excuse. Maybe he's getting a good deal there.
    One of their star DL entered the portal today. Sure seems odd to leave a power for a drug (QB).

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

If both were full strength, I'd still have taken the Rebels. James just gets smoked playing teams who can punch back.

UGA and FSU was just a travesty. I'd still take UGA by two scores even if both had full rosters. UGA not in the playoff is a whole different discussion.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

#nomorebowls

#thegamehaschanged

#playoffsorbust

That game was ground zero for why bowl games may be dead. Opt outs and coaching changes are a big hit to these teams on the field, and psychologically during preparation. So how do you change that? I don’t thing you can. Florida State was missing more than 20 players. They weren’t going to win regardless in my opinion, but it could have been competitive. I heard James Franklin say they’d have to look into how they’d handle “opt outs” in the future because of the impact it had on Penn State. I have no idea what that could mean. He also mentioned coaching changes being disruptive as he fired the OC and the DC is now the head coach at Duke. I agree with him that it’s a problem but disagree that there’s a suitable solution.

The best thing teams get out of bowls is the extra weeks of practice to end the year in preparation for the next season. Why does there have to be a game at the end of it? Also, these teams are “practicing” all year long nowadays anyway. Do you think players from non-bowl teams just said “goodbye” to their teammates after their last game, and “see you next spring?”

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

#nomorebowls

#thegamehaschanged

#playoffsorbust

That game was ground zero for why bowl games may be dead. Opt outs and coaching changes are a big hit to these teams on the field, and psychologically during preparation. So how do you change that? I don’t thing you can. Florida State was missing more than 20 players. They weren’t going to win regardless in my opinion, but it could have been competitive. I heard James Franklin say they’d have to look into how they’d handle “opt outs” in the future because of the impact it had on Penn State. I have no idea what that could mean. He also mentioned coaching changes being disruptive as he fired the OC and the DC is now the head coach at Duke. I agree with him that it’s a problem but disagree that there’s a suitable solution.

The best thing teams get out of bowls is the extra weeks of practice to end the year in preparation for the next season. Why does there have to be a game at the end of it? Also, these teams are “practicing” all year long nowadays anyway. Do you think players from non-bowl teams just said “goodbye” to their teammates after their last game, and “see you next spring?”
    The bowls are a relic of the past.

They will have a 12 team playoff next year..meaning 4 rounds of playoffs.

Make the Rose and Sugar Bowls the permanent hosts of the Final Four on New Years Day and bid out the title game for anywhere each year.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    UGA and FSU was a great game. Lol. Goodness.
    #nomorebowls

#thegamehaschanged

#playoffsorbust

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    UGA and FSU was a great game. Lol. Goodness.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

I'm definitely giving credit to Northwestern for beating a team that will likely be a contender in the Big 12 next year after having won the previous two PACifist-12 conference titles heading into this season. I guess my point was that the B1G West teams were pretty much indistinguishable from each other as far as "ugly ball" was concerned.

Speaking of "ugly" State Penn's (ahem) performance in the Peach Bowl against Ole Miss is beyond ugly. Same with THE Overrated State University's sad impersonation of Iowa in the Cotton Bowl against UMo.
    Some of the Western teams are not as bad as people think. The B1G attempt to divide the the league geographically fizzled when Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska, the three teams league officials figured would maintain some balance with the West, declined (or in Nebraska's case, sank like a stone). And sticking all three of the league's most storied programs in the East just wasn't smart. They could have split Michigan and Ohio State and still let them play their big hype game at the end of the year.

The thing that is irritating as a B1G fan when you're not a follower of one of the "big three" teams is that they lord it over the rest of us second tier programs during the regular season, but then can't take care of business when they run up against programs with resources and recruiting ability similar to theirs. The postseason records of Michigan and Ohio State are a joke considering the status of those programs. I'll be very surprised if Alabama doesn't beat Michigan in the playoff game. Penn State has a creditable bowl record overall, but most of that was accomplished during the Paterno era, and they haven't been great lately.

They can chortle about Northwestern all they want, but the Cats have now won five straight bowl games when playing teams with a similar record to theirs in the postseason. B1G bowl winners so far include Northwestern, Rutgers, Minnesota, and Maryland.

Bowl games are not worth watching anyway. Half of Florida State's team didn't even play and I just saw that Georgia crushed them, 63-3. Pick up your toys and go home, Seminoles. What a joke. I'd much rather watch a Division II playoff game.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Penn State needs a QB. It’s no surprise they gave up some points today missing two secondary starters and a first round draft pick at DE in Chop Robinson, but the offense didn’t help at all. Drew Allar seems to be all icing and no cake.

Ohio State is also in trouble at the QB position. I was not impressed at all with Devin Brown while he was in there and the next kid was bad. If you don’t have elite QB play these days you’re not going to win. I think the door is open for some new faces to compete for the BIG next season. Also, Ryan Day is still a jacka$$.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    James Tenandtwo proves yet again he’s not up for the job. He should go back to East Dennyburg.
    6-29 against Top 15

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X