Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPNation
    replied
    James Tenandtwo proves yet again he’s not up for the job. He should go back to East Dennyburg.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Well, seeing as Utah crushed Florida, beat USC, and came with in a touchdown of Washington, I'd say that was a decent win for Northwestern. The B1G West was not good this year, but if you look at their bowl record over the years you might be surprised how many games they've won.
    I'm definitely giving credit to Northwestern for beating a team that will likely be a contender in the Big 12 next year after having won the previous two PACifist-12 conference titles heading into this season. I guess my point was that the B1G West teams were pretty much indistinguishable from each other as far as "ugly ball" was concerned.

Speaking of "ugly" State Penn's (ahem) performance in the Peach Bowl against Ole Miss is beyond ugly. Same with THE Overrated State University's sad impersonation of Iowa in the Cotton Bowl against UMo.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Well, considering the B1G West was the college football equivalent of the NFC South, that's a pretty low bar. Still, considering the chaos in Evanston heading into the season, that they even got to eight wins and capped it off with a win over Utah is impressive as hell.
    Well, seeing as Utah crushed Florida, beat USC, and came with in a touchdown of Washington, I'd say that was a decent win for Northwestern. The B1G West was not good this year, but if you look at their bowl record over the years you might be surprised how many games they've won.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Originally posted by TDBoi8136 View Post
    These bowl games today are so frustrating. Troy lost to themselves, JMU apparently can't operate without one guy (Cignetti), and Utah State can't get figure out a struggling GA State team.
    Air Force played in that exact same bowl game last season at TCU's stadium in Fort Worth and blew the doors off of Baylor. That outcome wasn't as shocking as you'd think it was.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

As a long-time B1G follower, I'm fine with Florida State being in another conference. We already have all the football factories we need with more coming in next season. Did love to see Northwestern, a Vegas underdog in every P5 game they played this season, win eight games.
    Well, considering the B1G West was the college football equivalent of the NFC South, that's a pretty low bar. Still, considering the chaos in Evanston heading into the season, that they even got to eight wins and capped it off with a win over Utah is impressive as hell.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

Stanford and Cal joining the ACC makes even less sense than the Big 10 move, considering the ACC doesn't have teams west of Notre Dame and Louisville.
    Not to mention SMU joining the ACC, and last I checked, Dallas isn't exactly up the road from Chapel Hill.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

ESPN has ownership stakes in many of the lower tier bowls that they proliferated. But like you said, with attendance and TV viewership way down, they're getting their clocks cleaned financially.

I'm with you on a 16 team playoff. Many scoff, but as soon as the casual and neutral fans witness some upsets of P5 teams, people will love it. Everyone's favorite part of March Madness is the annual Cinderella team. The current system (much like the BCS) is designed to keep G5 upstarts out of a true Cinderella season. Its virtually impossible for an undefeated G5 team capable of beating an SEC team to win a championship. The G5 conferences should file a class action suit against the NCAA and CFP. But they won't.
    In theory, TCU could've made the best argument for a "Cinderella" run to the CFP championship game (only to get obliterated by Georgia, who, to be fair, would probably have done the same to Meatchicken with last year's roster) considering no Big 12 team had ever won a CFP game and that TCU isn't exactly a "brand" like Georgia, THE Overrated State University, USC, etc. I don't recall off the top of my head what the ratings were for the Fiesta Bowl, but it didn't seem to move the needle outside of DFW.

And two years prior, Alabama absolutely dominated Cincinnati in the Cotton Bowl/CFP game (though, the Bearcats had their chances; they couldn't execute).

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Yeah Flori-duh State doesn’t need to be in the BIG. SEC probably wants them and the Miami School of Basket Weaving.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by UISguy23 View Post

I certainly hope FSU gets outta the ACC. Id love to see them in the BIG.
    As a long-time B1G follower, I'm fine with Florida State being in another conference. We already have all the football factories we need with more coming in next season. Did love to see Northwestern, a Vegas underdog in every P5 game they played this season, win eight games.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by UISguy23 View Post

Why? I’m curious why the BIG would be better for them.

The ACC is a good conference. It’s full of good programs with a rich history in football, basketball, and even many other sports. If FSU would have gotten in to the playoff, would we be having this discussion? I think it’s a knee jerk reaction and then once a bunch of egomaniacs started puffing their chests out there was no turning back. A fine example of the Abilene Paradox.

Leave a comment:

• UISguy23
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I think this situation is ground zero for the ugliness of FBS college football right now. I’m sitting here with my bag of popcorn.

How did it go so bad so fast? It feels like schools jumping ship for new conferences was still a novel idea not all that long ago. Now it’s a free-for-all. I think my eyebrows raised for the first time when West Virginia went to the Big 12, probably because it was close to home. Now we have PAC 10 schools joining the Big 10?!?! If you were to go back 20 years and tell people that this was going to happen you’d get laughed out of the bar and maybe even beat up.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

JMU is a shell of itself. Basically a JV team.

Some of these teams are playing without like 10-15 starters they had a few weeks ago. It's a fraud.
    It’s why bowls need to go away.

Nobody cares.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by TDBoi8136 View Post
    These bowl games today are so frustrating. Troy lost to themselves, JMU apparently can't operate without one guy (Cignetti), and Utah State can't get figure out a struggling GA State team.
    JMU is a shell of itself. Basically a JV team.

Some of these teams are playing without like 10-15 starters they had a few weeks ago. It's a fraud.

Leave a comment:

• TDBoi8136
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

Stanford and Cal joining the ACC makes even less sense than the Big 10 move, considering the ACC doesn't have teams west of Notre Dame and Louisville.
    Clearly geography is irrelevant at this point, and that’s a shame.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X