X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Those arguments don't make sense to me. If there are a lot of transient students moving IN and OUT of the district that doesn't explain the positive football outcome. My guess is that they are exploiting the social environment to produce the football powerhouse. It sounds to me as though they are providing special attention to athletes' official domicile status. It may not look like the transfer world that normally would come to mind in other situations.

On the other hand, maybe there is something in the water in Aliquippa.
    How does this even make sense if they are saying half of their student population is like this? You're assuming that they are encouraging transient students who are athletes to be IN the district during football season? That's a pretty bold statement to make.

Nobody has any idea what the home situations of some of these students are.

And to be clear, Warfield made clear that their "best players" are not transient students and said that he could prove that. He also indicated that of the actual "transfers," two of them never played a single snap. I'm doubtful they'll win their appeal, but it's hilarious that they are in this position only because they voluntarily wanted to play 3A football instead of 1A football, which is what their enrollment is. Aliquippa has about 30-40 kids coming out to play football every year. They shouldn't be playing North Hills, Penn Hills, etc.

Regarding the water in Aliquippa... They've been good long before the PIAA got involved with handpicking who they wanted to promote/relegate among high school football classifications. But remember... It was always Aliquippa's decision to play up two classifications voluntarily.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Mike Warfield, the head coach at Aliquippa, said, "We'll show up on Friday night at the stadium at 7:00 and play whoever."

The PIAA's rationale is that they are listed as having 23 transfers within their program (they have about 40 students who play football). The deeper context is that only 2-5 of those individuals are actually transfers into the district. Aliquippa is an economically depressed area. It's a terrible district academically. Nobody is moving their family into Aliquippa. What is being reported is that Aliquippa will be appealing this and that their fight is based on having a large faction of their student body that moves in and out of the district regularly due to their home environment. Warfield was on 93.7 The Fan last night and discussed that their school has a high number of "transient students," who, at no fault of their own bounce between living with different family members for a variety of reasons. Sometimes those family members live in the Aliquippa school district, sometimes they do not. For many of these students, the only constant is football.

I can see how the principle of an unstable home life be used can be leveraged by the powers that be to say that Aliquippa is "recruiting." I just don't believe anybody is willingly moving to Aliquippa, regardless of how good the football there is.
    Those arguments don't make sense to me. If there are a lot of transient students moving IN and OUT of the district that doesn't explain the positive football outcome. My guess is that they are exploiting the social environment to produce the football powerhouse. It sounds to me as though they are providing special attention to athletes' official domicile status. It may not look like the transfer world that normally would come to mind in other situations.

On the other hand, maybe there is something in the water in Aliquippa.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Transfer portal update for many of you... I know many were quick to talk about the crazy number of Pitt football transfers...

One player (just one - that's not a typo) has transferred to a Power 5 program. The others are still searching or ended up in the Group of 5 or FCS. Two wanted to come back to Pitt and were denied by Narduzzi. Two others were welcomed back by Narduzzi.

So let's pump the brakes on creating a story about the mass exodus of good players leaving Pitt. With the exception of Sam Okunlola, the "good" players who you would want to come back, are coming back. As I told everyone when that became a conversation, it should have been a non-topic. No significant losses overall. They were 3-9. Let anybody leave that wants to leave.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

But Southern Columbia gets to stay in AA forever. What a joke.
    I'm reading that the reason Southern Columbia is getting around this whole transfer thing is because they have some "vocational school" distinction. If that's the case, that's hilarious.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Has any rationale been given for it? I'm not saying it makes sense, but they must be doing it for a reason or they'd just move up every team that won a couple of championships. Do they have transfers coming in or something. Of course there is no Class 7A to move St. Joseph's Prep into.
    Mike Warfield, the head coach at Aliquippa, said, "We'll show up on Friday night at the stadium at 7:00 and play whoever."

The PIAA's rationale is that they are listed as having 23 transfers within their program (they have about 40 students who play football). The deeper context is that only 2-5 of those individuals are actually transfers into the district. Aliquippa is an economically depressed area. It's a terrible district academically. Nobody is moving their family into Aliquippa. What is being reported is that Aliquippa will be appealing this and that their fight is based on having a large faction of their student body that moves in and out of the district regularly due to their home environment. Warfield was on 93.7 The Fan last night and discussed that their school has a high number of "transient students," who, at no fault of their own bounce between living with different family members for a variety of reasons. Sometimes those family members live in the Aliquippa school district, sometimes they do not. For many of these students, the only constant is football.

I can see how the principle of an unstable home life be used can be leveraged by the powers that be to say that Aliquippa is "recruiting." I just don't believe anybody is willingly moving to Aliquippa, regardless of how good the football there is.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    PIAA just ruled and Aliquippa is moving to 5A

That's hilarious.

Next year PSAC
    Has any rationale been given for it? I'm not saying it makes sense, but they must be doing it for a reason or they'd just move up every team that won a couple of championships. Do they have transfers coming in or something. Of course there is no Class 7A to move St. Joseph's Prep into.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Southern Columbia product Julian Fleming to Penn State from Ohio State thru the portal.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That's hilarious.

Next year PSAC
    But Southern Columbia gets to stay in AA forever. What a joke.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

That's hilarious.

Next year PSAC

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    Penn State needs a QB. It’s no surprise they gave up some points today missing two secondary starters and a first round draft pick at DE in Chop Robinson, but the offense didn’t help at all. Drew Allar seems to be all icing and no cake.

Ohio State is also in trouble at the QB position. I was not impressed at all with Devin Brown while he was in there and the next kid was bad. If you don’t have elite QB play these days you’re not going to win. I think the door is open for some new faces to compete for the BIG next season. Also, Ryan Day is still a jacka$$.
    I saw a really good tweet that I laughed at regarding Drew Allar.

"Drew Allar is Christian Veilleux with a TikTok haircut." LOL

For those at home, Veilleux was one of Pitt's QBs this year who transferred from Penn State last year.

You're right though. He looks very pedestrian against defenses with a pulse. Not the answer Franklin was looking for.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I'll be honest, I'm MUCH more interested in the national championship game now that its someone other than the recent retreads. I would prefer Washington but a B1G team winning is exactly what the SEC homers need. Ratings bonanza for national sports talk.
    Yes....we don't have to be forced to watch a bunch of pom pom waving Cletuses and their cheating foosball teams from the South....

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    I enjoyed seeing some good football at last played by teams whose players showed up. I'm not thrilled with the TV people who think that starting college football games at almost 9 p.m. EST is a good idea. After the usual four-hour running time due to commercials, extended halftimes, etc., I got to bed about 1:30 a.m. and will be a zombie most of today. Thank goodness I'm retired and don't have to go to work.
    Agreed. If the one tradition that these people seemingly won’t kill is playing the Rose Bowl at 5pm eastern time, then make that the 2nd game of the doubleheader. Play the other one at 1pm.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    I enjoyed seeing some good football at last played by teams whose players showed up. I'm not thrilled with the TV people who think that starting college football games at almost 9 p.m. EST is a good idea. After the usual four-hour running time due to commercials, extended halftimes, etc., I got to bed about 1:30 a.m. and will be a zombie most of today. Thank goodness I'm retired and don't have to go to work.
    What great games! Hard to argue that the Committee didn’t get it right this time around. I’m with you 100% on the game times though. I’m not retired so today would have hurt but I was sleeping after the first two drives of the second game. I watched the long format highlights of the second game this morning.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I'll be honest, I'm MUCH more interested in the national championship game now that its someone other than the recent retreads. I would prefer Washington but a B1G team winning is exactly what the SEC homers need. Ratings bonanza for national sports talk.
    Well, Warshington is about to be a B1G team next season, so I guess that kinda counts.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X