X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I think this situation is ground zero for the ugliness of FBS college football right now. I’m sitting here with my bag of popcorn.

How did it go so bad so fast? It feels like schools jumping ship for new conferences was still a novel idea not all that long ago. Now it’s a free-for-all. I think my eyebrows raised for the first time when West Virginia went to the Big 12, probably because it was close to home. Now we have PAC 10 schools joining the Big 10?!?! If you were to go back 20 years and tell people that this was going to happen you’d get laughed out of the bar and maybe even beat up.
    Stanford and Cal joining the ACC makes even less sense than the Big 10 move, considering the ACC doesn't have teams west of Notre Dame and Louisville.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
    As the FSU board of trustees prepares to sue the ACC over their withdrawal penalties, the ACC is now preparing to counter sue over them failing to uphold contractual obligations within the Grant of Rights.

Good on the ACC. I absolutely love this. As I told everyone in the summer, if FSU had a clear and direct way out, they would’ve left by now.
    I think this situation is ground zero for the ugliness of FBS college football right now. I’m sitting here with my bag of popcorn.

How did it go so bad so fast? It feels like schools jumping ship for new conferences was still a novel idea not all that long ago. Now it’s a free-for-all. I think my eyebrows raised for the first time when West Virginia went to the Big 12, probably because it was close to home. Now we have PAC 10 schools joining the Big 10?!?! If you were to go back 20 years and tell people that this was going to happen you’d get laughed out of the bar and maybe even beat up.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    As the FSU board of trustees prepares to sue the ACC over their withdrawal penalties, the ACC is now preparing to counter sue over them failing to uphold contractual obligations within the Grant of Rights.

Good on the ACC. I absolutely love this. As I told everyone in the summer, if FSU had a clear and direct way out, they would’ve left by now.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I like Chip Kelly’s suggestion that there should be no conferences, just independent programs.

Wouldn’t that be interesting?
    Yeah it would be. At this stage I’m for keeping as much geographical affiliation as possible in an effort to maintain some level of normalcy in college football.

His overall point is right. Some girl playing lacrosse at USC should not have to fly to Columbus to play a lacrosse game.

Football plays one game a week. Blow up the conferences. I like his idea on shared tv money as well.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I guess you're right. Because those Utah, Boise State, and Texas Christian interloper years were a big factor in creating the P5/G5 setup.
    To clear up the post I made regarding my feelings on the “Cinderella” teams. I meant to say people hated UCF and rooted against them. It looked like I said people were rooting for UCF.

My point was we would’ve rooted hard for them in the BCS era. In the CFP era we were told that anyone outside of a few token schools weren’t deserving, largely because the narrative from the media creates that dynamic, but also because smaller schools don’t help them (although UCF is a massive institution).

I also think UCF’s fanbase was obnoxious and that contributed to people disliking them during their run.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

What’s inevitable? If they could’ve left, they would have already. You’re a smart guy; I know you know that.

Has anyone on this thread actually read the ACC’s Grant of Rights? That’s a legitimate question.

Oklahoma. Texas. Texas A&M years back. Colorado. Arizona. Oregon. Washington. I’ll stop. Every single one of these schools just up and left their conferences without saying a word. No warning. No complaining. No nothing. FSU, Clemson, and Miami have *****ed and moaned for two years. And here they are. Still unable to leave. If they could’ve left the ACC, they would have been long gone.

I will give the parameters for everyone again…

1) Any team wishing to leave will be required to pay a buyout up front of approximately 150 million dollars.
    2) When said team leaves after the buyout cost, they forfeit every cent of television revenue they would be set to earn in their new conference until the ACC’s Grant of Rights expires in 2033. That means your 150 million dollar buyout gets close to 1 billion dollars.
    3) The other member schools still have a say in allowing you to leave without additional financial penalty. You think Boston College will vote to just let Florida State walk out the door?

Is that money better spent going to the B1G or SEC? Or is it better spent on NIL and your program?

Every member school voted and agreed on this to protect their league from getting destroyed. They had foresight to at least predict that there would be chaos. Now the members want to be part of the chaos and they can’t, so they are pissed off.

Will the ACC exist as is until 2033? Hard to say. But anybody who thinks anybody leaving is just a simple forgone conclusion probably doesn’t have a good grasp on the GOR.
    I like Chip Kelly’s suggestion that there should be no conferences, just independent programs.

Wouldn’t that be interesting?

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Because Florida's gotta Florida...

The Florida State trustees have called a special meeting to discuss the financial and legal steps needed to leave the ACC.
    This is also like the 6th or 7th time they’ve done this in the last year. If they had a clear exit strategy, they would’ve left by now.

All ACC members voted and agreed to these terms.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's inevitable. Buyout be damned - and, it's a big one. They've been unhappy with the ACC. This was the final straw.

Most would think the SEC would be logical, but don't rule out the BIG.

I don't know the logistics of it, but I'd venture to guess the BIG would punt Rutgers and Maryland in a second.

I can promise one thing: When the Noles leave, Miami won't be far behind.
    What’s inevitable? If they could’ve left, they would have already. You’re a smart guy; I know you know that.

Has anyone on this thread actually read the ACC’s Grant of Rights? That’s a legitimate question.

Oklahoma. Texas. Texas A&M years back. Colorado. Arizona. Oregon. Washington. I’ll stop. Every single one of these schools just up and left their conferences without saying a word. No warning. No complaining. No nothing. FSU, Clemson, and Miami have *****ed and moaned for two years. And here they are. Still unable to leave. If they could’ve left the ACC, they would have been long gone.

I will give the parameters for everyone again…

1) Any team wishing to leave will be required to pay a buyout up front of approximately 150 million dollars.
    2) When said team leaves after the buyout cost, they forfeit every cent of television revenue they would be set to earn in their new conference until the ACC’s Grant of Rights expires in 2033. That means your 150 million dollar buyout gets close to 1 billion dollars.
    3) The other member schools still have a say in allowing you to leave without additional financial penalty. You think Boston College will vote to just let Florida State walk out the door?

Is that money better spent going to the B1G or SEC? Or is it better spent on NIL and your program?

Every member school voted and agreed on this to protect their league from getting destroyed. They had foresight to at least predict that there would be chaos. Now the members want to be part of the chaos and they can’t, so they are pissed off.

Will the ACC exist as is until 2033? Hard to say. But anybody who thinks anybody leaving is just a simple forgone conclusion probably doesn’t have a good grasp on the GOR.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    The bowls are a relic. Teams that go 6-6 get in them.

I opted out of them a long time ago.
    Some teams that are 5-7 have gotten in them.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Its possible. Before the recent west coast expansion, I would have said no only because the Big Ten likes to think of themselves as the public flagship version of the Ivy League. Northwestern gets grandfathered in but along with USC, they are both top R1 institutions. FSU's academics are underrated but they would have the smallest endowment in the conference. I also believe there's a chance the latest B1G expansion may have a limited shelf life. Football and basketball run the ships but the impact on every other team is going to quickly wear down ADs.
    Palo Alto to Piscataway for a volleyball game is quite the haul.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's inevitable. Buyout be damned - and, it's a big one. They've been unhappy with the ACC. This was the final straw.

I don't know the logistics of it, but I'd venture to guess the BIG would punt Rutgers and Maryland in a second.

Its possible. Before the recent west coast expansion, I would have said no only because the Big Ten likes to think of themselves as the public flagship version of the Ivy League. Northwestern gets grandfathered in but along with USC, they are both top R1 institutions. FSU's academics are underrated but they would have the smallest endowment in the conference. I also believe there's a chance the latest B1G expansion may have a limited shelf life. Football and basketball run the ships but the impact on every other team is going to quickly wear down ADs.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

The Florida State trustees have called a special meeting to discuss the financial and legal steps needed to leave the ACC.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

I would argue that under the BCS system, those teams had a better chance to break the glass ceiling and reach that level or stage. Keep in mind that the culture was much different pertaining to bowls then. Playing in the Orange Bowl wasn’t an unjust punishment. So Boise State playing in the Fiesta Bowl was a big, big deal at the time. And we rooted for those teams. We don’t root for those team anymore - not in the same way at least. Largely because the media doesn’t benefit from those schools with small followings, so a narrative gets shoved down our throats that those teams are so much lesser than everyone else.

UCF was a great example. Perhaps their outspoken fanbase contributed, but people rooted for UCF every week for a 2 year stretch or so. In the BCS era we would have loved UCF.
    I guess you're right. Because those Utah, Boise State, and Texas Christian interloper years were a big factor in creating the P5/G5 setup.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

They should have gone to a 16 team playoff or something like FCS immediately. Get rid of the bowls. Money rules I get it, but the bowls were and are completely meaningless once a playoff started. Perhaps keep some bowls similar to what HBCU's do, but beyond that it's a dumb exhibition.

80% of all these bowls, people don't attend and I find it hard to believe that it really is bringing in any extra business into the area. It's just TV revenue I guess, but isn't viewership of these bowls like WAY down as well? How do they warrant the cost or have TV deals continue to shell out for it?
    This is what I was thinking reading through the discussion. I do like a playoff because I like having a champion at the end that was determined on the field. I never thought the BCS truly provided that because it involved so few teams and too much conjecture. That said, this season was the first time it ended in a complete mess with seven teams having reasonable arguments of why they should have been in.

Maybe bowls have run their course. It’s a different time we’re living in now and it’s time to move on. I haven’t watched a full quarter of any of the bowl games so far, and I like football about as much as anyone. I’m sure I’ll watch some of the New Year’s Bowls because that’s just what you do, but I won’t be glued to them like I would have been 20 years ago.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X