X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Bart View Post
    Mostly they are farm boys and coal crackers who grow up wanting to play for the Tigers. There isn't much else to do that results in glory days around there.
    Bingo! Farm boys and coal crackers do make excellent football players.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    The Philly private schools look to complete the sweep tonight. Imothep Charter took 5A last night and St. Joe’s looking to put away North Allegheny tonight.
    The do have excellent recruiting. Lol

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

They have been the same as long as I have been here. The district serves about 10,000 people over 100 square miles; maybe 1200 students in all grades. They have a good coach like Curry in Jim Roth, the winning coach at any level in Pa. high school football. Roth once applied for the Lock Haven job, but even as an alumnus they passed on him, mostly because he was only a high school coach. Sure kids want to win and play for him, and there probably are some transfers. Mostly they are farm boys and coal crackers who grow up wanting to play for the Tigers. There isn't much else to do that results in glory days around there.

Aliquippa is talented, but Southern has beaten them in the past. I recall 2015 they routed Aliquippa, 49-14, in the PIAA Class AA Championship.
    Aliquippa has about 100 boys in the entire school. To win 4A this year was amazing.

Had they stayed in Class 1A (where they belong) they'd have probably won an incredible amount of PIAA gold.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    The Philly private schools look to complete the sweep tonight. Imothep Charter took 5A last night and St. Joe’s looking to put away North Allegheny tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Was Southern Columbia some other school or schools in the past? Did it change names or is it a result of a merger?

How do they do it? Haven't they had accusations of "recruiting", kind of like Berwick under George Curry. Seriously, I don't know but wondering how they do it. It's an auspicious record.
    They have been the same as long as I have been here. The district serves about 10,000 people over 100 square miles; maybe 1200 students in all grades. They have a good coach like Curry in Jim Roth, the winning coach at any level in Pa. high school football. Roth once applied for the Lock Haven job, but even as an alumnus they passed on him, mostly because he was only a high school coach. Sure kids want to win and play for him, and there probably are some transfers. Mostly they are farm boys and coal crackers who grow up wanting to play for the Tigers. There isn't much else to do that results in glory days around there.

Aliquippa is talented, but Southern has beaten them in the past. I recall 2015 they routed Aliquippa, 49-14, in the PIAA Class AA Championship.
    Last edited by Bart; 12-09-2023, 11:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Another team that has success is Southern Columbia with it's 7th straight state title and 14th overall.
    Was Southern Columbia some other school or schools in the past? Did it change names or is it a result of a merger?

How do they do it? Haven't they had accusations of "recruiting", kind of like Berwick under George Curry. Seriously, I don't know but wondering how they do it. It's an auspicious record.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

What's amazing is the success year after year. It's unbelievable in a town that size.

Those teams just have a toughness others do not.
    Another team that has success is Southern Columbia with it's 7th straight state title and 14th overall.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

What's amazing is the success year after year. It's unbelievable in a town that size.

That's still the way out for those kids. That's the truth in the matter. They are a low-income community, the school district isn't great, and there is temptation for kids at a young age to get mixed into the wrong crowd. The only constant is football.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

And because of their success, the PIAA almost made them move up to 5A. Aliquippa successfully appealed.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Absolutely insane. And like some other schools like Clairton and Farrell, these are not economically prosperous communities like you typically see at the higher levels.

Aliquippa sits on the Ohio River downriver from Pittsburgh and is a former J&L Steel town. The mill at one time employed almost 30,000. The town population is 1/3 of what it once was with little sustaining it and a neighboring white flight community and school district (Hopewell) that is relatively stable. But they've produced several NFL Hall of Famers and a few other notables like Henry Mancini.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Aliquippa won the PIAA 4A title yesterday, 60-14.

Keep in mind the Quips should in in 1A, enrollment-wise.
    Absolutely insane. And like some other schools like Clairton and Farrell, these are not economically prosperous communities like you typically see at the higher levels.

Aliquippa sits on the Ohio River downriver from Pittsburgh and is a former J&L Steel town. The mill at one time employed almost 30,000. The town population is 1/3 of what it once was with little sustaining it and a neighboring white flight community and school district (Hopewell) that is relatively stable. But they've produced several NFL Hall of Famers and a few other notables like Henry Mancini.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Aliquippa won the PIAA 4A title yesterday, 60-14.

Keep in mind the Quips should in in 1A, enrollment-wise.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Oklahoma QB in portal
    This is an evergreen post... doesn't it seem like an Okie Doke QB is in the portal every year?

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post

I was wondering if IUPNation would call that other Indiana University "fake Indiana" or something like that. He didn't disappoint!

I'm proud of you of IUP Nation! :D
    I’m consistent!

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    IU took Shanahan as OC.

JMU is hiring Holy Cross HC Bob Chesney, a guy from Mt Carmel area. He made Assumption a competitive D2 program before going to Holy Cross.
    He's on the right trajectory from a coaching standpoint. He's very young and has climbed the ladder pretty quickly. I think for him to ultimately take the next step in his coaching career, he's eventually going to have to get away from Cignetti and take an OC job in a similar or lesser program in a lateral move of sorts. He's been attached at the hip of Cignetti since coaching at IUP. Curt is heavily involved in the offense and I believe he is still calling a lot of the plays on that staff.

I had actually read that those factors were things that had given some programs reservations on brining him in as a potential OC, even though he had that position at JMU. He's still very young. And things will open up for him with time. But I think he's going to need to get into a role where he can succeed without having Curt on the headset guiding him through what to call on 4th and 3 at the opponent's 42 yard line while nursing a 4 point lead with a running clock at the 3 minute mark of the 4th quarter. But again, I think those opportunities will open up with time.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X