X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

It's very possible this was in the works and Alabama was doing its due diligence before Saban announced. But Alabama is actually run by its secret society, The Machine (not Bert Kreischer). They call the shots and act like a shadow council of trustees. If you defy their wishes, you're asked to resign or your contract isn't renewed. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a Machine pick and they presented everything, contract terms and all, within hours of Saban going public.
    It’s not called the See Everyone Cheat conference for nothing

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by TDBoi8136 View Post

Called it!
    The guy had a pretty good gig at Washington. I know they probably waved the big bucks at him in Alabama, but I wouldn't love to be the one following Saban there. The coaches who immediately followed Bear Bryant did not have an easy time of it. You certainly can't accuse him of backing away from a challenge.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's hilarious a multi-billion dollar organization can hire a new HC in 48 hours and it takes a PSAC team 7 weeks because of all the hoops to jump.
    It's very possible this was in the works and Alabama was doing its due diligence before Saban announced. But Alabama is actually run by its secret society, The Machine (not Bert Kreischer). They call the shots and act like a shadow council of trustees. If you defy their wishes, you're asked to resign or your contract isn't renewed. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a Machine pick and they presented everything, contract terms and all, within hours of Saban going public.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

It's hilarious a multi-billion dollar organization can hire a new HC in 48 hours and it takes a PSAC team 7 weeks because of all the hoops to jump.
    I would have thought that the job would've had to be posted in a similar way to how a coaching job at a PASSHE school would be posted, but Alabama laws could be very different compared to Pennsylvania. (For context: Iowa's offensive coordinator's job had to be publicly posted like any other UofIowa job due to state law.)

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Could Washington hire Pete Carroll?

Some seem to think so.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Called it!

Leave a comment:

• TDBoi8136
    replied

If I were a Bama fan, I would be pushing for DeBoer. But I think it really could be just about anyone
    Called it!

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied

If he goes to Bama ... Primetime will be headed to Tallahassee
    Norvell is staying at FSU. 8 year extension.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Mike Norvell
    If he goes to Bama ... Primetime will be headed to Tallahassee

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Couldn't agree more with this. He's a really good coach. He's got the right makeup. He's really young. And I bet you he comes at a much cheaper price than many of the other names circulating. Not to say that's why they should hire him, but I think he would overall be very much interested. He took over FSU when they were, I'll say it like this, not good. He quickly turned them back into what we know FSU as.

I do wonder though, what the last 6 weeks mean for that program and his future there. He's recruited extremely well, but that team was very, very senior heavy. He also had a ton of guys (and most of his best returning players) hit the portal in spite of the NCAA and CFP committee. It's fair to ask what they will be next year (and at no fault of Norvell's). I think it would be a really good fit for both parties.
    FSU is still going to be pretty good next year. Should still be ACC favorites with what they've gotten in the portal thus far, of course a lot could change depending on this ripple effect of coaching hires. Next year they will have more upperclassmen than even this year, should still be pretty good if the Oregon State QB can pick up where Jordan Travis left off. Might even push the offense forward because he's a more well rounded thrower than Jordan Travis was.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Mike Norvell
    Couldn't agree more with this. He's a really good coach. He's got the right makeup. He's really young. And I bet you he comes at a much cheaper price than many of the other names circulating. Not to say that's why they should hire him, but I think he would overall be very much interested. He took over FSU when they were, I'll say it like this, not good. He quickly turned them back into what we know FSU as.

I do wonder though, what the last 6 weeks mean for that program and his future there. He's recruited extremely well, but that team was very, very senior heavy. He also had a ton of guys (and most of his best returning players) hit the portal in spite of the NCAA and CFP committee. It's fair to ask what they will be next year (and at no fault of Norvell's). I think it would be a really good fit for both parties.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied

Lanning has said repeatedly he's not leaving Oregon. It is a great job and he's swimming in money.

That said, Tuscaloosa changes a lot of minds.

It's never easy to follow a God-like figure -- especially down south.

But, money talks. And, they have a ton of it.
    I think Lanning looks at this like I'm 37 years old and don't need to follow Saban immediately after he retires. Let them hire the sucker who can't do it in Sabans shadow and he'll still be available in 4-6 years in his early to mid 40's. Still plenty young. Plus, I think Oregon has a ton coming back and should be very strong next year as well.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Anyone taking the job at Alabamastan is in a no win situation. Look at how the program wallowed for many years after Bear Bryant passed away. Everyone is going to use no Saban to recruits as a reason for them to
    look elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Who gets the Alabama job ?
    Mike Norvell

Leave a comment:

• TheBigCat2192
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

When you say "buzz" is that talking heads just throwing names out there as "candidates" who are actually just people who's names they know? Or is that sources from Alabama saying they've been in contact? Dan Lanning pushed team meetings back 2 hours today and there was a private charter from Eugene, Oregon to Tuscaloosa, Alabama. That's buzz.

Personally don't think they are going to be interested in Lane Kiffin. Good coach, but he's not Alabama's head coach (at least not this version of Alabama). He's mellowed out a lot, but he comes with some baggage and antics. I also genuinely think he's enjoying his time and happy at Ole Miss. I get that's not Bama, but few have the makeup or temperament to be the head guy there.

Not sure why Sark is getting a ton of buzz. He's been a P5 head coach 10 years. He's won 10+ games one time. But I get recency bias carries a lot of weight.

I bet a guy like Mike Norvell is attractive to them. Young and quickly turned around a struggling Florida State program. Done very well with building his program through a combination of high school recruits and transfers. He's a great mix of what you want in a coach nowadays. And I bet he's very interested. Florida State had a ton of seniors.
    Sarkisian did have a reasonably successful stint as the OC at Bama and even coached them to a win over Auburn in a game where Saban was out with COVID. On the whole though I agree that his head coaching track record doesn’t scream consistent national championship contender.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X