Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pa fall sports expected to start on time.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

It's not being terrified of dying, it's trying to keep student-athletes safe. Always has been, always will be. From a community standpoint, it's about making sure that hospital beds aren't full of Covid patients, leaving none available for anyone else. These things are REAL. There's been a FIELD HOSPITAL inside ESU's fieldhouse since April!. I realize that MOST affected are older folks, but no one should be put at MORE risk, when it can be avoided easily. Name call all you like. That says more about you than anyone else.
      Last edited by WarriorVoice; 06-23-2020, 04:29 AM.

Comment

The same guy who votes by mail, but says no on else should? I think it's the same guy...

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

The same guy who votes by mail, but says no on else should? I think it's the same guy...
          Sounds like that comment is all about the student athlete safety too. Give me a break. Your nothing but a political hack and phony.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post

Sounds like that comment is all about the student athlete safety too. Give me a break. Your nothing but a political hack and phony.
            Keepin' it real for over 55 years...You scored points for using a 4-syllable word in a sentence though...I'll be the first to admit I'm no fan of the man in the WH, but none of these posts about Covid-19 have been political. We need more testing to know who has the virus and who doesn't, we need more resources because hospitals ARE facing shortages all over the country. We need a virus before we can have ANY hope of herd immunity. None of that is politics, it's public health 101...If you want to look at it from an economic standpoint, what business can afford to have customers dying by the thousands every day?! From a political standpoint, since the virus seems to be more dangerous to older people, can POTUS afford to have older voters dying off? Now here's your challenge for today: try to read this post without moving your lips as you read it...GO!!!
            Last edited by WarriorVoice; 06-23-2020, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Why are most schools planning to open in less than two months? Surely, they know what's going to happen when you put thousands of drunk (and high), hormone-raging 18-21 year-olds back on these campuses. Will there be social distancing enforcers at the Alpha Beta house or in college bars (no chance)? How clean will the campus dining spots -- largely run by 19-year-old students -- be kept? Better yet, what if they do go online only? How many students drop out and say they'll be back when things are normal (and then never come back, or go somewhere else)? Opening is a gamble but they can't afford not to roll the dice. Parts of the country will play football. Some won't.

What's it going to cost West Chester if they cancel the football season there and 60 players enter the transfer portal within 24 hours? I can guarantee that will happen. That's a whole lot of enrollment coin for a team of alleged walk-ons -- not to mention it would set the program back years.

Many schools are going to play the PR game and say all the right things. Reality is they can't control students when they aren't in their buildings. College life is going back to college life the moment these kids come back to town. Who knows. Maybe nothing drastic happens. Athletes would be given the opportunity to be kept safe -- if they follow protocols and make smart decisions off the field. And, ... that's a real big freakin' IF. Boys will be boys.

Taking the field is a real big decision. It's not an easy one. We keep mentioning student-athletes on here. Regular students may be at more risk than athletes. Then again, we're all at risk. Is a football player at any more risk than the cashier at Wal-Mart? Probably not.

ESPN ran a great piece a couple days ago and it centered around former Michigan QB Devon Gardner. He said football is the means to college for so many of these players. And, playing today is a risk most would easily take. He said he'd have never got in to Michigan if he wasn't a football player -- or, even if he could get in, could have never afforded it.

The only certainty is you can't stop time. Each hour that passes gets closer to August. I guess we'll know soon enough. We may even see some athletes who say they aren't going to take the chance and walk away from it. They'd just be replaced.

Comment

The Steelers announced today they've had two players test positive. Both went through the protocol and both are now back with the team.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  Why are most schools planning to open in less than two months? Surely, they know what's going to happen when you put thousands of drunk (and high), hormone-raging 18-21 year-olds back on these campuses. Will there be social distancing enforcers at the Alpha Beta house or in college bars (no chance)? How clean will the campus dining spots -- largely run by 19-year-old students -- be kept? Better yet, what if they do go online only? How many students drop out and say they'll be back when things are normal (and then never come back, or go somewhere else)? Opening is a gamble but they can't afford not to roll the dice. Parts of the country will play football. Some won't.

What's it going to cost West Chester if they cancel the football season there and 60 players enter the transfer portal within 24 hours? I can guarantee that will happen. That's a whole lot of enrollment coin for a team of alleged walk-ons -- not to mention it would set the program back years.

Many schools are going to play the PR game and say all the right things. Reality is they can't control students when they aren't in their buildings. College life is going back to college life the moment these kids come back to town. Who knows. Maybe nothing drastic happens. Athletes would be given the opportunity to be kept safe -- if they follow protocols and make smart decisions off the field. And, ... that's a real big freakin' IF. Boys will be boys.

Taking the field is a real big decision. It's not an easy one. We keep mentioning student-athletes on here. Regular students may be at more risk than athletes. Then again, we're all at risk. Is a football player at any more risk than the cashier at Wal-Mart? Probably not.

ESPN ran a great piece a couple days ago and it centered around former Michigan QB Devon Gardner. He said football is the means to college for so many of these players. And, playing today is a risk most would easily take. He said he'd have never got in to Michigan if he wasn't a football player -- or, even if he could get in, could have never afforded it.

The only certainty is you can't stop time. Each hour that passes gets closer to August. I guess we'll know soon enough. We may even see some athletes who say they aren't going to take the chance and walk away from it. They'd just be replaced.
                  How many IUP players will bolt if their season is cancelled?...It's not like there's a dome around one particular school's facilities...Do you guys actually talk to players or do you just like making stuff up?!

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

How many IUP players will bolt if their season is cancelled?...It's not like there's a dome around one particular school's facilities...Do you guys actually talk to players or do you just like making stuff up?!
                    If IUP decides not to play and the rest of the league does ... goodbye program. There'd be nobody left. Wait and see what happens to West Chester if they can't go. They'll be gutted.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

If IUP decides not to play and the rest of the league does ... goodbye program. There'd be nobody left. Wait and see what happens to West Chester if they can't go. They'll be gutted.
                      Why would West Chester not play football? They are in the green phase just like everyone else. If they don't play, nobody else plays.

Comment

I think it's more likely that if ANY school has a serious issue, the league will step in, and the season would end. That assumes the NCAA doesn't act first. I'd expect solidarity among the schools...I base that on what has happened so far...Everything thus far has been done from a sanctioning body rather than an individual team. MLB shut down EVERY facility when the Phillies announced an outbreak...Have to expect the same thing in the Collegiate ranks...Fair or not, it has to be that way...It won't be a competition based on who can stay healthier...

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

I think it's more likely that if ANY school has a serious issue, the league will step in, and the season would end. That assumes the NCAA doesn't act first. I'd expect solidarity among the schools...I base that on what has happened so far...Everything thus far has been done from a sanctioning body rather than an individual team. MLB shut down EVERY facility when the Phillies announced an outbreak...Have to expect the same thing in the Collegiate ranks...Fair or not, it has to be that way...It won't be a competition based on who can stay healthier...
                          That may be a tough call for any conference let alone the NCAA if a SUBSTANTIAL MAJORITY of teams are ready and willing to play. In the PSAC if 1-3 teams e.g.WCU, MU, SHU say they're not able to get it together but the other 13 say let's get it on, the complete shutdown may be a rather hard sell. We'll know in 10 weeks or less.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

That may be a tough call for any conference let alone the NCAA if a SUBSTANTIAL MAJORITY of teams are ready and willing to play. In the PSAC if 1-3 teams e.g.WCU, MU, SHU say they're not able to get it together but the other 13 say let's get it on, the complete shutdown may be a rather hard sell. We'll know in 10 weeks or less.
                            The D2 ranks ... I could see the solidarity thing happening. There's next to no media pressure and, being honest, next to no money to be made.

The D1 ranks, however, solidarity won't exist. If Rutgers can't play and the rest of the BIG can ... see ya next year Rutgers. The TV deals, etc., ... the money is just too big.

I'm still betting the PSAC gives it a shot. How you control a football team once the pretty girls come back, etc., just seems like an impossible task.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

As I've said numerous times now, we saw it happen in March. Why would now be any different with no vaccine in place? It seems we've learned nothing in the last 3 months and that is really sad...March Madness is one of the NCAA's biggest money makers and they didn't hesitate to pull the plug...What's changed since March? Many more people are sick...

Comment

The D2 ranks ... I could see the solidarity thing happening. There's next to no media pressure and, being honest, next to no money to be made.

The D1 ranks, however, solidarity won't exist. If Rutgers can't play and the rest of the BIG can ... see ya next year Rutgers. The TV deals, etc., ... the money is just too big.

I'm still betting the PSAC gives it a shot. How you control a football team once the pretty girls come back, etc., just seems like an impossible task.
                                The NCAA controls all athletics...If they say don't play, who's going to go against that?!?!? Why aren't you getting that?!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X