Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pa fall sports expected to start on time.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

CIte a source...just once, give us a source and not just an opinion...I suppose you didn't hear about the 5 Alabama players who caught it...
    https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/all-inju...odds-of-dying/
    Last edited by IUP24; 06-12-2020, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I appreciate your research!

Comment

In a typical 3 month period in the United States about 8,000 people die in auto accidents. In the 3 month period from March-May of this year over 100,000 people died from COVID-19 in the United States. You do the math.

But the question is whether high schools will be able to play football this year.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

In a typical 3 month period in the United States about 8,000 people die in auto accidents. In the 3 month period from March-May of this year over 100,000 people died from COVID-19 in the United States. You do the math.

But the question is whether high schools will be able to play football this year.
          Why we're comparing accidental auto deaths with a pandemic virus is beyond me. We dealt with H1N1 just over 10 years ago, and rather successfully considering the numbers. Wearing a mask for protection has become a political divide, and right now, outside of social distancing, wearing a mask is the best defense we have...But you can't tell people anything these days without automatic suspicion and blowback...
          Last edited by WarriorVoice; 06-13-2020, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Wearing a mask was probably the least restrictive thing after "having" to stay 6 feet apart. I was hoping we'd see mask wearing normalized especially during cold & flu season but you're right. Politics of division gotta divide us.

Comment

Look, all these doomsday projections are well and good, but everyone might as well face it -- social distancing is going to be an endangered species within a month. Too many people are clamoring for "normal," not a "new normal."

Will it create a second or third spike? Probably. But a large cross-section of the state has been hammering Wolf and Levine for two months over stay-at-home orders. If any of these counties are returned to the red or yellow phase, I believe it's going to be largely ignored.

Don't mistake this for agreement with their stance. I'm just saying that is what is going to happen, and that's going to include 5,000 people in a football stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                Look, all these doomsday projections are well and good, but everyone might as well face it -- social distancing is going to be an endangered species within a month. Too many people are clamoring for "normal," not a "new normal."

Will it create a second or third spike? Probably. But a large cross-section of the state has been hammering Wolf and Levine for two months over stay-at-home orders. If any of these counties are returned to the red or yellow phase, I believe it's going to be largely ignored.

Don't mistake this for agreement with their stance. I'm just saying that is what is going to happen, and that's going to include 5,000 people in a football stadium.
                Already talk of IUPatties being held the second weekend back on campus. That will be a great social distancing event. Lol.

The restaurants and bars re-opened in Indiana .. hardly a mask to be seen. Right or wrong ... just reality. And, there's no students here.

Comment

U of Houston shuts down workouts after 6 players test positive...We'll see alot more of this...

Comment

U of Houston shuts down workouts after 6 players test positive...We'll see alot more of this...
                    How many schools "didn't" shut down?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

How many schools "didn't" shut down?
                      Joke all you want but when football season gets shut down halfway through the season, don't wonder why...Many schools are planning to open with face-to-face instruction, only to shift to online instruction midway through the Fall semester, so at least the academic side is paying attention...

Comment

Joke all you want but when football season gets shut down halfway through the season, don't wonder why...Many schools are planning to open with face-to-face instruction, only to shift to online instruction midway through the Fall semester, so at least the academic side is paying attention...
                        That wasn't joking. So, of all the D1 schools, Houston has shut down. That's one out of 100-and-some that had athletes report. I'll take those odds.

Maybe there will be more. Maybe football season gets cancelled. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe the whole world is unemployed in six months. Maybe life goes back to normal (it has for many). Maybe we should all live in a bubble.

Houston shut down. Nobody else has. Time is going on football or not. If it's cancelled ... yeah ... it will suck but we'll get over it pretty quickly. Other than three hours on Saturday and a message board ... it doesn't really effect any of our lives that much.

The economic impact on D1 towns ... whole different topic. No football would alter lives for many. Take (7) home dates out of Happy Valley.

Money drives many ships. Should we really be 'green' in most of PA? Not for me to say. But, I do know one other item that is 'green' ... and it does a whole lot of talking.

Will athletes be put in harms way for the sake of money? Probably. Will those who test positive be shut down for 14 days and right back on the field? Probably. Or, they'll die. Same as the kid in history class or Joe Six Pack working at the electric company.

Forget athletics. The moment these campuses open all hell is going to break loose. No chance you are controlling 18-21 year-olds on a college campus. Hang all the signs you want and schools can Tweet all day. Once they are back it will be like nothing is even going on.

Comment

Alabama had 5 players test positive a week before Houston. Don't think they'll be the only two schools to face this. To think otherwise is folly...

Comment

Alabama had 5 players test positive a week before Houston. Don't think they'll be the only two schools to face this. To think otherwise is folly...
                            I dare say nearly every university will have cases on campus and sports teams, in dorms and frat houses, among students and staff. The question will be how prepared are they to react promptly with testing and tracing. Some will finish the entire semester with little trouble. Some will finish with disruption including cancelling some activities, including sports, mid term. Probably some will give it a try at opening, encounter an outbreak and shut it down. As far as sports go, I expect teams in the Power 5 conferences to be aggressive in trying to play some semblance of a regular season. Too much television money is st stake for them to do otherwise. Individual schools within those conferences may not go along, say VANDERBILT in the SEC or ARIZONA in the PAC 12. This is all wild speculation but about as accurate as anyone else's prediction.

Comment

I read the article below this morning. Some perspectives from decision-makers. However, the conclusions are the same as what our posters see. Nobody knows what's going on.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...cid=spartanntp

Comment

Why we're comparing accidental auto deaths with a pandemic virus is beyond me. We dealt with H1N1 just over 10 years ago, and rather successfully considering the numbers. Wearing a mask for protection has become a political divide, and right now, outside of social distancing, wearing a mask is the best defense we have...But you can't tell people anything these days without automatic suspicion and blowback...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X