X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Yikes. This is clearly a bunch of bologna but holy jeez what a load of accusations.

https://www.indianagazette.com/opini...f792828d8.html
    If I was pursuing an acting career and was going to get a degree...I certainly wouldn't pick a state system school. I mean you go to Carnegie-Mellon for that...

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

IUP has gotta get with the times. 21+ can drink in their rooms at Edinboro
    Maybe IUP does...I thought every campus was dry per the orders of the tools in Harrisburg.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

That's an interesting observation.

I think the dorm situation is a microcosm of American society itself and how it's changed. Forty years ago, when I lived in one of those cinderblock rooms it was perfectly fine. At that age, I didn't need or even want more. And I had had my own room since the age of 8 when my big sister moved out. Then, regardless of your own sense of individuality you just accepted the standard issue. You were content with it

Typically, you ate food at mealtimes. Maybe you had a small snack throughout the day. Today, you eat food whenever you want. We have become a fat society. I mean that literally and figuratively.
    Esch Hall wasn't bad in the rooms. It and Wallace were the only two dorms on campus where nothing was bolted to the walls so we could configure our rooms to our liking. I had my wardrobe and my dresser set up facing outward and had my bed behind them so I had privacy to sleep and my desk being the third wall. They were only 14 year old buidings when I moved in there in 1984. However...hot water for a shower was always a 50/50 chance.

I never really ate a lot either. I never went to breakfast despite it being part of my meal plan. I never ate breakfast until I was 30. Now I can't function without eating in the morning. It was basically lunch and dinner and that's why I was so thin then. I kept a dorm fridge in my room in Oakland Hall but I never had anything in it. Maybe a few sodas...there wasn't a grocery store over there in the 80's...just Hills and Montgomery Ward in Regency Mall. I wasn't shlepping all the over to the Giant Iggle for anything. There wasn't even a Sheetz on that part of town. Just the Mister Donut in front of Oakland Hall.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

The only downside of living on campus if you are 21 is you can't drink. Does anyone still live in Oakland Hall? That was my home from September 1985 to May 1988. I never moved out of my room. They let me keep my stuff in there even when I wasn't taking classes. I did Pre and Main in the summer of 86 and 87 because it was the only way to get done in four years. I so moved in once and moved out once. I had my own room.....and nobody there gave a damn if you had booze.
    IUP has gotta get with the times. 21+ can drink in their rooms at Edinboro

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

For all the bigger Indiana is it's kind of a strange dynamic living here. The campus is basically its own world. The two sides don't intersect a whole lot.

With the enrollment down and the hotel-like housing on campus now, there are less and less students living outside of that campus direct area. Outside of football or basketball games, I don't think many venture over there very often during the school year. There used be a handful of student houses on the 'townie' side of Philly, but they are pretty much all gone now - turned back in to residential housing by the flippers. The slumlord industry is really hurting right now.

They really wanted 7th Street cleaned up and that's pretty much been accomplished over the past decade. The sewer frat houses are almost all gone. I think two remain but they at least look nice. I don't know where they all relocated but they are spread out now which was the goal. There's basically a small city of apartments behind Regency mall now. A lot of students live up there. It's very secluded from town.

For the most part aside from IUPatties the two sides seem to be at peace most of the year.

Sign of the times is even the once-mighty Lazor Brothers housing empire near campus has cooled off. What were shiny new places in the 90s have become old and out-dated. Several of the larger units have gone up for sale over the past couple years.

It's amazing what the kids call 'dorms' now. They aren't anything like the 14' x 14' prison cells many of us knew. These are palaces compared to the 80s and 90s.

They still can't get a tenant in the Giant Eagle building near campus. That strip of Wayne has probably become the worst part of campus the past couple years in the eyes of the po-po.
    The only downside of living on campus if you are 21 is you can't drink. Does anyone still live in Oakland Hall? That was my home from September 1985 to May 1988. I never moved out of my room. They let me keep my stuff in there even when I wasn't taking classes. I did Pre and Main in the summer of 86 and 87 because it was the only way to get done in four years. I so moved in once and moved out once. I had my own room.....and nobody there gave a damn if you had booze.

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

I haven't watched any film of him but he is an athlete from everything that I have read about him. He may be in the mold of Mike Pietropola who played a bevy of positions at IUP.

He is interested in majoring in Homeland Security while being enrolled in the ROTC program. He wants to be an officer in one of the combat arms branches of the army. There is the very real possibility that he could end up dead before he is 25.
    Watching his film, not all 19 mins of his senior highlights ( https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9774177...50b10818844a1c ), I believe he may play defense and special teams. He is a pretty good athlete.

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied
    Late addition to the class:

Matthew Nelson (Indiana High).

6'3", 275 lbs ... played G, NG and DE at IHS.

No idea if this is a PWO or what.

This kid was a good player on a pretty bad team ... could be a sleeper. Potential to be a 'program guy' and develop over time.
    His tape not bad ( https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1099520...f9bd0688857096 ). But I would guess this would be a PWO/WO player. IUP is probably saving some scholarships for the Transfer Portal.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    I think the writer could have expressed herself more clearly but I can understand her frustration.

It's not like she's one of these right-wing Roseanna Roseanna Danna's spewing incoherent nonsense like other letters to the editor.
    Well said!

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    I think the writer could have expressed herself more clearly but I can understand her frustration.

It's not like she's one of these right-wing Roseanna Roseanna Danna's spewing incoherent nonsense like other letters to the editor.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Why would the IG even print that garbage?
    The Gazette itself is garbage. They print all that crap from local political hacks and that hatchet job they did on the former Blairsville magistrate a few weeks was really uncalled for. I guess they have gone full-blown supermarket tabloid.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Yikes. This is clearly a bunch of bologna but holy jeez what a load of accusations.

Why would the IG even print that garbage?

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

I don't think Mason was ever really going to consider anyone but Edinboro unless it was a D1 offer. Maybe kicking the tires to be sure Edinboro gave him the money he deserved.
    Actually, I heard it from the horses mouth. Now Cathedral Prep's coach Steve Piotrowicz got Jaymon down to IUP for a workout. Let's just say Joe didn't have much nice to say about the workout.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
    I am very much aware of what can happen when you join the military, and so is Ben Schmidt. If a guy wants to volunteer to serve our country, in any way, I wouldn't be as flippant to say "There is the very real possibility that he could end up dead before he is 25." It's not like your statement would be news to him.

When my oldest daughter turns 16 and gets her driver's license, I'm not going to sit her down and say "I hope you know that you might get killed in an accident tonight. Be home by 11."

I don't know man. You hit a nerve there.
    Okay, whatever. It's not like I care that much one way or another.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    I am very much aware of what can happen when you join the military, and so is Ben Schmidt. If a guy wants to volunteer to serve our country, in any way, I wouldn't be as flippant to say "There is the very real possibility that he could end up dead before he is 25." It's not like your statement would be news to him.

When my oldest daughter turns 16 and gets her driver's license, I'm not going to sit her down and say "I hope you know that you might get killed in an accident tonight. Be home by 11."

I don't know man. You hit a nerve there.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X