X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iupgh
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

LOL, why not ? Or should we always set the bar low enough for your buddies to look good ?
    Nothing to due with buddies, called being smart, scheduling tough non conference not worth it in football for numerous reasons. If your not smart enough to figure it out then so be it.

Leave a comment:

• IUP PSAC Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

In recent history (past 10-15 years) the basketball program has blown past the football program. Joe's won numerous conference titles (including the past two) and played in the national title game twice. They could make a real deep run this year.

They are both good programs, but Joe has just elevated his program a full step above.

Joe is fully-funded and does have a Top 5 arena (nicer than most D1 mid-majors, in fact). The football program uses facilities on par with most WPIAL Class AA programs. What IUP lacks in football facilities, I think they make up in other area's -- big campus, nice college town, etc. I have no idea if they lose recruits over the facilities. IUP has been winning for a long time in football so I don't they play that much of a role. They can still give out a lot of money to offset the aesthetics of the facilities and stadium.
    I hear what you saying buddy, but the PSAC in basketball compared to football is like 6A in the WPIAL to 1A. PSAC Basketball stinks! On the other hand PSAC Football, has IUP, Slimy Pebble, Cal U, Shepherd, Kutztown, West Chester etc in the past, so much better and way more competitive. Joe has the nicest basketball arena in D2, while Football might have the worst stadium in D2. The Athletic administration needs to step it up on the football end. Absolutely ridiculous, that they play in that stadium and have those facilities.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

LOL, why not ? Or should we always set the bar low enough for your buddies to look good ?

In recent history (past 10-15 years) the basketball program has blown past the football program. Joe's won numerous conference titles (including the past two) and played in the national title game twice. They could make a real deep run this year.

They are both good programs, but Joe has just elevated his program a full step above.

Joe is fully-funded and does have a Top 5 arena (nicer than most D1 mid-majors, in fact). The football program uses facilities on par with most WPIAL Class AA programs. What IUP lacks in football facilities, I think they make up in other area's -- big campus, nice college town, etc. I have no idea if they lose recruits over the facilities. IUP has been winning for a long time in football so I don't they play that much of a role. They can still give out a lot of money to offset the aesthetics of the facilities and stadium.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Iupgh
    replied

If Joe was the coach, they'd schedule Ferris state.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    I'd target Glenville State or Ashland for the opener. It will be Kellar's fourth season at GSU so they should be at least decent. Ashland is obviously a tougher venture. They went 5-5 this year but lost their starting QB along the way. They lost to Notre Dame (OH) 42-35 in OT. They also took a loss to No. 1 Ferris State. So, they played two elite programs in non-conference. Ashland then lost close to Ohio Dominican, Tiffin and Findlay. So, it's pretty clear that .500 record was deceiving.

IUP's crossover isn't as difficult as this year but it should produce two above .500 opponents in ESU and Shippensburg. ESU tanked down the stretch this year but by all accounts are a team on the rise. Shippensburg is getting a lot of buzz as a potential East contender next year. Throw in Rock and Cal and the SOS should be fine.

Ashland is the marquee match-up. Glenville State would be the safest opponent. Charleston would also pose a playoff-level game. No interest in seeing Alderson-Broaddus.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    AB would be a waste of time and a big SOS hit. No thanks!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    I'd target Glenville State or Ashland for the opener. It will be Kellar's fourth season at GSU so they should be at least decent. Ashland is obviously a tougher venture. They went 5-5 this year but lost their starting QB along the way. They lost to Notre Dame (OH) 42-35 in OT. They also took a loss to No. 1 Ferris State. So, they played two elite programs in non-conference. Ashland then lost close to Ohio Dominican, Tiffin and Findlay. So, it's pretty clear that .500 record was deceiving.

IUP's crossover isn't as difficult as this year but it should produce two above .500 opponents in ESU and Shippensburg. ESU tanked down the stretch this year but by all accounts are a team on the rise. Shippensburg is getting a lot of buzz as a potential East contender next year. Throw in Rock and Cal and the SOS should be fine.

Ashland is the marquee match-up. Glenville State would be the safest opponent. Charleston would also pose a playoff-level game. No interest in seeing Alderson-Broaddus.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

SRU has Wayne State another two years.
    Same sentiment with an increase in their chances of winning.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I bet Rock will schedule Ferris. They'll take the L and some Spacebucks for lunch, gas, and tolls. Whatever they can do to continue the novelty of Slippery Rock in Michigan.
    SRU has Wayne State another two years.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

True. Joe traditionally plays one of the toughest non-conference schedules in the country. It's bit them a couple times. Greatly benefited them several times, too.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

I bet Rock will schedule Ferris. They'll take the L and some Spacebucks for lunch, gas, and tolls. Whatever they can do to continue the novelty of Slippery Rock in Michigan.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    IUP advertised for a Week 1 opponent yesterday.

Quick search there are (3) teams in relative short distance also looking:

Glenville State
    Alderson-Broaddus
    Ashland

Obviously, former Cal coach Mike Kellar is now the HC at Glenville State. A-B is on par with Clarion so avoid that anchor. Ashland would be another great series.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    IUP advertised for a Week 1 opponent yesterday.

Quick search there are (3) teams in relative short distance also looking:

Glenville State
    Alderson-Broaddus
    Ashland

Obviously, former Cal coach Mike Kellar is now the HC at Glenville State. A-B is on par with Clarion so avoid that anchor. Ashland would be another great series.
    Charleston I read on another thread was available as well. That would be a good series for IUP as Charleston typically is above .500 in the MEC.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    The problem with that argument is that we all saw what happened in those two games. I don't think the facilities or locker room caused IUP to lose the games.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X