Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I suggested a long time ago that he would ultimately bail out on this job. Things are starting to fray.

He is casting blame at the Lock Haven community now for not just standing by and allowing him to destroy the community. That's interesting. It was his (possibly) fatal mistake taking SRU out of the mix and adding Bloomsburg in. When he changed course and did that, he screwed up.

I don't think he understands these communities that host the schools. I don't think he grasps that these schools support an entire area of the state. The school can't be dealt with in isolation.
    What are the odds this doesn't get the go ahead at this point though? The PASSHE Board is who approves it. There will be a 60 day comment period where I'd imagine there will be A LOT of opposition, but ultimately it goes forward.

I guess it really depends on how bleak the situation really is. Lock Haven for instance says they have $45 million in reserves. IF that money was theirs and theirs alone, they could likely lose enrollment for several plus more years and survive.

The Chancellor and PASSHE see the system collapsing in a short period of time going at the current trend.

And maybe both are right. Maybe Lock Haven would be ok, but a bunch of other schools fail? The Chancellor is working to save ALL schools. Not just 1.

I tend to think his view is highly correct. Although, in his town halls and PR appearances he's talking about how he's seeing amazing work in these Integrations. Everything I hear is there is confusion and lack of communication and decisions. Unless the consultants built this thing heavily and just haven't released the info yet...

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I don't blame him - they were really the only campus & community to put up a fight. Bloom to a much lesser degree but more of a "hey why are you dragging us into this mess?" attitude. I do wish Edinboro folks would have fought this but unfortunately they've been overcome by Stockholm Syndrome.

I think its fair to say Greenstein doesn't understand the symbiotic relationship of PASSHE schools and their communities. He came from the University of Cal system where the smallest campus (UC-Merced) is PASSHE-sized but in a city of nearly 85,000 but all other campuses average over 30,000 students and are in much larger cities that don't rely on the universities to drive economy and culture. California most likely placed campuses in those locations - in PA these towns often started the schools before the state took control.
        When you say "they" were the only campus and community to put up a fight who are you referring to?

Comment

• Cal U Trims Costs for Westmoreland County Community College Grads (20% discount) -

Cal U trims costs for Westmoreland County Community College Grads

Comment

When you say "they" were the only campus and community to put up a fight who are you referring to?
            Lock Haven -

Comment

Lock Haven

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

What are the odds this doesn't get the go ahead at this point though?
                I don't know what those odds are.

Comment

Lock Haven
                  That is untrue. In his initial rollout of the plan for the West there was so much resistance that, according to you, Edinboro did not want to go along with the plan for fear of being subservient to Slippery Rock, and Slippery Rock did not want to go along with the plan unless the other campuses were 2nd tier under SRU direction. Confronted with that resistance it's clear that Greenstein attempted to follow the path of least resistance which he thought was adding Bloom into a Northeast triad. Mainly due to the size difference between LH and Bloom his plan is unfairly detrimental to LHU and the LH community. That's why there is the resistance.

Comment

• I think the biggest story is that the concept of "dissolution" has been introduced. Revert back to the way things were pre-PASSHE.

The state senator from Indiana volunteered that he would sponsor that bill. It would be every school for themselves. Senator Pittman described how the "cross-subsidization" has hurt IUP. He's right. If dissolving PASSHE is an option, I am all for it.

dissolution - Legal Definition. n. The termination, cessation, or winding up of a legal entity such as a corporation or partnership; the consensual or judicially ordered undoing of a contract by placing the parties back into the positions they held before entering into it; the termination of a marriage.

Comment

That is untrue. In his initial rollout of the plan for the West there was so much resistance that, according to you, Edinboro did not want to go along with the plan for fear of being subservient to Slippery Rock, and Slippery Rock did not want to go along with the plan unless the other campuses were 2nd tier under SRU direction. Confronted with that resistance it's clear that Greenstein attempted to follow the path of least resistance which he thought was adding Bloom into a Northeast triad. Mainly due to the size difference between LH and Bloom his plan is unfairly detrimental to LHU and the LH community. That's why there is the resistance.
                      I guess I should say public resistance. Lock Haven has been externally vocal. Edinboro folks didn't like the idea and Slippery Rock took their case to the Chancellor. They didn't do it in the press or hold events.

Comment

Interestingly, on the West Triad, Greenstein recently said that when they did a review of the finances...they decided to add Edinboro into it because Cal and Clarion needed 'more mass'. First, I heard of that.

Also, he said that the input from the teams is critical and will be followed. He said, going in he kind of thought that some sports would be losing money and get cut. But, after analysis, they determined that they weren't and decided to keep them. He used this as an example of following the data and input from the groups.

re: Resistance - I think there is a lot. It's just not public. Like probably none of the schools are 100% on board with this. They say the right things in public, but I think there is skepticism.
                        Last edited by complaint_hopeful; 03-19-2021, 09:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

Interestingly, on the West Triad, Greenstein recently said that when they did a review of the finances...they decided to add Edinboro into it because Cal and Clarion needed 'more mass'. First, I heard of that.

Also, he said that the input from the teams is critical and will be followed. He said, going in he kind of thought that some sports would be losing money and get cut. But, after analysis, they determined that they weren't and decided to keep them. He used this as an example of following the data and input from the groups.
                          The Clarion/Edinboro president characterized it as Cal and Clarion proactively advocating for Edinboro to join them since their finances, enrollment, and academic offerings overlap well. I don't know what to believe at this point.

Comment

I guess I should say public resistance. Lock Haven has been externally vocal. Edinboro folks didn't like the idea and Slippery Rock took their case to the Chancellor. They didn't do it in the press or hold events.
                            The town/gown relationship is different in all of these communities. As far as I can recall from the one time I passed through Edinboro, PA there is not much of a community surrounding EUP. In contrast, LHU, while it has always been small, is in many ways the lifeblood of the community. The way the plan is structured portends a devastating economic hit to the community because LH stands to lose the most under the current plan.

At this point, he should allow LHU to withdraw from the triad and pull in another school, e.g. ESU, Ship, or Kutztown. See how they like being the sacrificial lamb.

Comment

I think the biggest story is that the concept of "dissolution" has been introduced. Revert back to the way things were pre-PASSHE.

The state senator from Indiana volunteered that he would sponsor that bill. It would be every school for themselves. Senator Pittman described how the "cross-subsidization" has hurt IUP. He's right. If dissolving PASSHE is an option, I am all for it.

dissolution - Legal Definition. n. The termination, cessation, or winding up of a legal entity such as a corporation or partnership; the consensual or judicially ordered undoing of a contract by placing the parties back into the positions they held before entering into it; the termination of a marriage.
                              Well...IF the State funding went to 0...likely no school survives. So I think that's the critical detail. Like they dissolve PASSHE and the state funding goes away.

I don't know. IUP would have probably benefitted if it happened years ago. Now, I don't know. They've been losing enrollment too.

Interestingly, PASSHE has A LOT of high paid employees. And they're just now starting to provide a lot of value in things like procurement, etc. Actually, for a lot of years...it was kind of unclear what value they provided. That seems to be changing.

Comment

The town/gown relationship is different in all of these communities. As far as I can recall from the one time I passed through Edinboro, PA there is not much of a community surrounding EUP. In contrast, LHU, while it has always been small, is in many ways the lifeblood of the community. The way the plan is structured portends a devastating economic hit to the community because LH stands to lose the most under the current plan.

At this point, he should allow LHU to withdraw from the triad and pull in another school, e.g. ESU, Ship, or Kutztown. See how they like being the sacrificial lamb.
                                I think the Chancellor's main point on the dissolution of PASSHE was that: IF schools think they have the leverage to fight this...they don't. It's either Integrate or go out of business.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X