Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

You're probably correct. None of that stuff bothers me so long as LHU can stay in the top 25 of D1 wrestling. I would add an "lol" except that I'm serious.
    There is another question there. Does it end up being one athletic fundraising arm for all three? What happens with endowed scholarships should a school give up a sport? Bloom received a gift of 10 million dollars this year, do they have to share? Students receive free admission to athletic events, I believe partly because some student fees are approved by student government for certain athletic related events, such as supporting coaches to travel to conferences. What happens now?

Another question, does state appropriation get cut equally among the three schools by the assigned school leadership? If Bloom has twice as many students as the other two combined, who gets the student paid tuition dollars? Do they get split among the three or do the dollars follow the student to the school they go too? (like Republicans have been pushing for elementary and h.s.)

I don't want to support another school's athletic program with my donation, like LHU wrestling. No offense. I think schools could lose the support of their alumni.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

There is another question there. Does it end up being one athletic fundraising arm for all three? What happens with endowed scholarships should a school give up a sport? Bloom received a gift of 10 million dollars this year, do they have to share? Students receive free admission to athletic events, I believe partly because some student fees are approved by student government for certain athletic related events, such as supporting coaches to travel to conferences. What happens now?

Another question, does state appropriation get cut equally among the three schools by the assigned school leadership? If Bloom has twice as many students as the other two combined, who gets the student paid tuition dollars? Do they get split among the three or do the dollars follow the student to the school they go too? (like Republicans have been pushing for elementary and h.s.)

I don't want to support another school's athletic program with my donation, like LHU wrestling. No offense. I think schools could lose the support of their alumni.
      Don't worry. They know what they're doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

Seriously, though, I think it's premature to ask these questions. These questions might become relevant in the future, i.e. maybe in 2-3 years but right now I think the focus is on trying to "right-size" things at LHU and Mansfield and become more fiscally viable. They aren't going to be that integrated during the 2021-22 academic year, although the current scenario did develop really fast.

Plus, this model is going to hit all of the member schools so the 3 schools shouldn't feel too special.

Comment

Seriously, though, I think it's premature to ask these questions. These questions might become relevant in the future, i.e. maybe in 2-3 years but right now I think the focus is on trying to "right-size" things at LHU and Mansfield and become more fiscally viable. They aren't going to be that integrated during the 2021-22 academic year, although the current scenario did develop really fast.

Plus, this model is going to hit all of the member schools so the 3 schools shouldn't feel too special.
          I have heard that several PASSHE schools, specifically IUP, have some ultra successful alums. Does anyone think that as the process proceeds it would be in any way imaginable that a package of funding could be accrued that would allow one or more of the schools to go private? I seem to recall Dr Armenti discussing this and vaguely remember that CAL U may have had a package tentatively arranged. Or I may just be too old.

Comment

Who wants to be the guinea pig? If it's going to hit everywhere, more people should be trying to stop it. First they came for you.......Then they came for me. And there was no one left To speak out for me

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

I have heard that several PASSHE schools, specifically IUP, have some ultra successful alums. Does anyone think that as the process proceeds it would be in any way imaginable that a package of funding could be accrued that would allow one or more of the schools to go private? I seem to recall Dr Armenti discussing this and vaguely remember that CAL U may have had a package tentatively arranged. Or I may just be too old.
              Rare short answer from me: no.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Rare short answer from me: no.
                Noted .

Comment

One of the things "merger" does, is it provides a way for upperclass students to finish up despite cutting programs and faculty. One of the biggest arguments against cutting back is what to do with current students. By having the merger, that argument against cutting goes away. In the end I think it ends with Bloom getting many of the students that would have gone to LHU or Mansfield.

Comment

I think the PASSHE BOG is on a serious clock. They had three years to implament changes without legislative approval. I think they want to have all changes 100% in place by the time the law sunsets for fear that the legislature will stop any changes that are not fully in-place when the authority reverts. AND I think beyond that, they want to impliment their changes in time to show that they are achieving the desired results.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I think the PASSHE BOG is on a serious clock. They had three years to implament changes without legislative approval. I think they want to have all changes 100% in place by the time the law sunsets for fear that the legislature will stop any changes that are not fully in-place when the authority reverts. AND I think beyond that, they want to impliment their changes in time to show that they are achieving the desired results.
                      I don't think they really care. If the BOG members aren't legislators, they're appointed by the Governor. For the most part, they aren't there because they care about the mission of PASSHE. I know that one member (Brad Roae) is against public funding of schools. I don't know how that helps.

Comment

I don't think they really care. If the BOG members aren't legislators, they're appointed by the Governor. For the most part, they aren't there because they care about the mission of PASSHE. I know that one member (Brad Roae) is against public funding of schools. I don't know how that helps.
                        Just a quick review of Roae's statements and voting record, seems he is not in favor of increasing taxes to provide additional funds for public schools. If my quick review is correct, that's quite a bit different than being against public funding of schools. If the BOG is really uninterested in doing anything to improve the plight of the PASSHE, nothing is forcing them to make any changes.

Comment

Just a quick review of Roae's statements and voting record, seems he is not in favor of increasing taxes to provide additional funds for public schools. If my quick review is correct, that's quite a bit different than being against public funding of schools. If the BOG is really uninterested in doing anything to improve the plight of the PASSHE, nothing is forcing them to make any changes.
                          He's made public comments that he doesn't support tax dollars supporting public education. Given where he lives, I assume the only option for his kids is public school. He attended Gannon. Roae was appointed by former PA House speaker Mike Turzai, who appointed himself before resigning from politics to take a high paying corporate gig. Both are typical pols who vocally criticize spending but once elected do very little to identify the waste and inefficiency that got them elected other than being a lock to vote against any raises to taxes/tuition.

I think the board is made up of politicians and political power players who wish to be good soldiers so they can move up the food chain. Like I said, not there because they have a passion for the mission of PASSHE. If I'm incorrect in that, I've never heard or seen one of them say so.

Comment

No, that's incorrect. He is part of the movement, or at least a tentacle of the movement, to defund public education in PA. Of course, it could be wrongly viewed as fiscal restraint but it has its roots with evangelicals who essentially want all education to be religious-based and/or privately funded. As outrageous as that seems, it is a real thing in PA.

Comment

No, that's incorrect. He is part of the movement, or at least a tentacle of the movement, to defund public education in PA. Of course, it could be wrongly viewed as fiscal restraint but it has its roots with evangelicals who essentially want all education to be religious-based and/or privately funded. As outrageous as that seems, it is a real thing in PA.
                              Correct. His wife has a peculiar career writing novels with Amish characters where God intervenes to save the day, blossom romance, etc. I guess that's exciting in the country between the bustling cities of Meadville and Titusville.

Comment

Correct. His wife has a peculiar career writing novels with Amish characters where God intervenes to save the day, blossom romance, etc. I guess that's exciting in the country between the bustling cities of Meadville and Titusville.
                                I take it you have a problem with that?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X