replied
    Re: PASSHE - our alma maters

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
    Most telling line:

The economics of lesser demand, a steady supply, and increasing price just do not align. Unless Pennsylvania is going to import 18-year-olds in the next 5 years, then the other two factors will need to change.
    This is why I believe the PASSHE schools should be revamped into multi-faceted regional centers, retaining what's left of their traditional structure but morphing into centers for economic/laborforce/cultural development for the region they serve. As strictly academic institutions the writing is on the wall.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Read an article on the current generation of high school and college students. Theirs is the generation with the largest percentage growing up as the only child - and the rate is increasing with younger generations. Millennials wanted facilities that matched their homes or the homes they wish they had. Generation Z and younger expect attention and services that provide greater personal attention. That can't be done with technology. Should be an interesting collision.

Leave a comment:

• Horror Child
    replied

Originally posted by Bart View Post
    Article stated retention up at IUP, but they are losing potential students to Penn State, Slippery Rock, West Chester, Bloomsburg, Temple and California

https://www.indianagazette.com/news/...ea5041f15.html
    Most telling line:
    PASSHE is predicting a continued decline in the number of high school graduates in Pennsylvania, especially after 2025.
    The economics of lesser demand, a steady supply, and increasing price just do not align. Unless Pennsylvania is going to import 18-year-olds in the next 5 years, then the other two factors will need to change.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    IUP is looking at a 10% decline in its freshman class versus last year according to the IG. Fortunately some of that enrollment loss is mitigated by increased retention of enrolled students.
    Article stated retention up at IUP, but they are losing potential students to Penn State, Slippery Rock, West Chester, Bloomsburg, Temple and California

https://www.indianagazette.com/news/...ea5041f15.html

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    PASSHE - our alma maters

IUP is looking at a 10% decline in its freshman class versus last year according to the IG. Fortunately some of that enrollment loss is mitigated by increased retention of enrolled students.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Is that an IUP exclusive issue or is everybody else in the same boat?
    I haven't heard alot about all the others, everybody has been keeping this number quiet - not sure why IUP published this - it can give a kid buyers remorse, or lose someone on the fence. I'll bet everyone is down like last year, the question will be how much. I wouldn't want to be at Clarion the next few years.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
    That's a worst case, it probably will be somewhat less than 10 , but still a decline.
    Sure will - still a lot of hopeful high school seniors holding out that they can brag at their grad party about going to Penn State or Pitt...main campus of course. Both schools play a terrible game of waitlisting applicants for the main campus without requiring them to commit to any Pitt or Penn State campus. The local private school in Moon Township picks up 50 or so deposits in late June and July from these kids.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
    That's a worst case, it probably will be somewhat less than 10 , but still a decline.
    Is that an IUP exclusive issue or is everybody else in the same boat?

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
    College tuition increases by at least 5%/year which is far greater than the general inflation rate. And that's just tuition, not the amenity living facilities.

https://www.savingforcollege.com/tut...gher-education

For PASSHE, the demand has dropped, so it's time for the supplier to react like...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevefo.../#1bb8e9b223fb

The problem is, like healthcare, college is largely driven by personnel costs. And the cost of hiring people has increased significantly, even as technology has become much cheaper. Case in point, the worthless sandusky law that has ended up requiring the university does a background check of anyone who might encounter a 17 year old - most PASSHE universities had to do this for every academic employee, including student workers. If minimum wage for student workers goes to $15, there will be another huge increase in expenses. Costs to pay prevailing wage for construction, ever more personnel to monitor the ever increasing state imposed regulations. And yes, as some have mentioned, Faculty salaries at the top of the scale even for the expensive northeast. BTW, faculty compensation at Passhe has been decreasing relative to inflation - you should have seen the contract 30 years ago. Then there is the huge amount of corruption in the college's administration - I was reading recently of some problems at Bloom with their newly hired President, though all universities seem to have the same problems. IUP has had real problems getting good people to work in administration as well - sort of a peter principle thing I guess, but why college trustees always seem to screw up checking previous positions, and get fooled by smooth talkers has been disappointing.

Leave a comment:

• Horror Child
    replied

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    That's an interesting observation. When I was in school all I needed was that cinderblock-walled dorm room. Amenities didn't mean anything to me. The storyline was that they built these facilities to keep up with the rest of the world and remain competitive on that front. Nevertheless, the decline in the state appropriation is the killer and I don't really think the legislature solicits feedback from the their constituents when doling it out. They just haven't supported it. And if you follow the changes during Democratic and Republican administrations in PA it's like a see-saw. It has come up during Dem administrations but overall it's dropped precipitously. I blame Republicans. It's black and white.
    College tuition increases by at least 5%/year which is far greater than the general inflation rate. And that's just tuition, not the amenity living facilities.

https://www.savingforcollege.com/tut...gher-education

For PASSHE, the demand has dropped, so it's time for the supplier to react like...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevefo.../#1bb8e9b223fb

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Also remember that the faculty union (to their credit) have negotiated salaries that are in the 90th percentile with a focus on teaching not research. So the average professor is making in the $80s which is often close to double the median income for the immediate area save the two Chester County schools.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    Also, in my hometown of Lock Haven, there has always been pretty good town-gown relations. "The college" has always been an integral part of the community. However, I get your point because a lot of people probably see these profs as politically correct libs. Need I say more? I don't think they would be ok with it shutting down, though.
    I live in Indiana and also was once a student here so I see both sides.

I know yesterday was like a yearly holiday in town (when all the students leave). That said, IUP students pump a lot of coin in to the town, and I think most realize it.

As these Taj Mahal apartments went up, it killed the slumlord market in Indiana. So, the students don't mingle with the locals as much. Few live in the neighborhoods anymore. But, most would prefer they build a huge wall around that campus to segregate it.

Personally, I think it keeps things lively.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 05-12-2019, 03:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X