Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

The state as a whole does not support higher education, or public education for that matter, in the manner that it should, and the data supporting that is abundant. I agree with regard to the Penn State branches vs. PASSHE. The PSU branches are one of our biggest competitors at Ship. One problem is that Penn State is the big name and presents a unified front in lobbying state legislators.PASSHE has to get stronger in that area. A few months back, a Montgomery County legislator asked why the state insists on providing as much or more aid to "state-related" schools than to the state system it actually owns. It's a good question.
    That question needs to be asked. Its the same as having the state subsidize private wine & liquor stores that directly compete with FWGS stores.

I have a grad student interning with my office this fall. He went to Penn State Mont Alto and is now at Slippery Rock for his master's. He totally regrets his time at a Penn State branch and outside of Mont Alto's role in the school of forestry science says that it doesn't serve much purpose. He also shared that most of his upper level major-specific classes were online or video with faculty from State College.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

That question needs to be asked. Its the same as having the state subsidize private wine & liquor stores that directly compete with FWGS stores.

I have a grad student interning with my office this fall. He went to Penn State Mont Alto and is now at Slippery Rock for his master's. He totally regrets his time at a Penn State branch and outside of Mont Alto's role in the school of forestry science says that it doesn't serve much purpose. He also shared that most of his upper level major-specific classes were online or video with faculty from State College.
      The Mont Alto campus is actually located within the school district where I live. It's a big pain in the butt for Ship when it comes to recruiting.

Comment

I'm not forgiving their misdeads real or alleged. My only feeling is that closing Cheyney would have tested the public's appetite for closing campuses. I would bet if we polled the legislature right now most would favor keeping the Penn State BFE campuses over a struggling school like Clarion or Mansfield. Both PASSHE and our fellow PASSHE school alumni need to be ready for this fight for our survival.
        And what better test could there be? As iupgroundhog said, which school is more deserving of consideration of closure? Posts throughout this thread show that the demographics are causing the demand for higher education in the commonwealth to (a) wane and (b) change.

Comment

I'm not forgiving their misdeads real or alleged. My only feeling is that closing Cheyney would have tested the public's appetite for closing campuses. I would bet if we polled the legislature right now most would favor keeping the Penn State BFE campuses over a struggling school like Clarion or Mansfield. Both PASSHE and our fellow PASSHE school alumni need to be ready for this fight for our survival.
          You could be right. I've always looked at Cheyney's situation as a different thing from the other schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

The state as a whole does not support higher education, or public education for that matter, in the manner that it should, and the data supporting that is abundant. I agree with regard to the Penn State branches vs. PASSHE. The PSU branches are one of our biggest competitors at Ship. One problem is that Penn State is the big name and presents a unified front in lobbying state legislators.PASSHE has to get stronger in that area. A few months back, a Montgomery County legislator asked why the state insists on providing as much or more aid to "state-related" schools than to the state system it actually owns. It's a good question.

Comment

You constantly act like the Dems provide any better solutions when NONE of them are sane which makes sense as to why you parrot their nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by PSACfan1 View Post

You constantly act like the Dems provide any better solutions when NONE of them are sane which makes sense as to why you parrot their nonsense.
                Well, when it comes to public education in PA, he's right. Every Republican administration has decreased support for public education in the state and every Democratic administration has sought to reverse the damage done by Republicans. This is a severe thing in PA and it holds true for every level of public education. As I'm sure I mentioned in this thread somewhere there is an influential wing of the PA Republican Party that literally places no value in public education. I think every Pennsylvanian should understand this when they step into the voting booth.

Comment

Well your side has had control of the legislature and nothing gets fixed. Fat Yinzer Corbett ****ed over public education in PA when all he had to fo is tax the frackers like they do in every state where they frack.

Comment

I can tell you with confirmation from "University Park" that their solution to our state's demographic cliff coming in 2025 they're ramping up out of state recruitment. Expect 60% of "University Park" students to be out of state by 2025.

Comment

I can tell you with confirmation from "University Park" that their solution to our state's demographic cliff coming in 2025 they're ramping up out of state recruitment. Expect 60% of "University Park" students to be out of state by 2025.
                      They'll have to shave their out-of-state rate quite a bit to be competitive with public universities in other states.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Well your side has had control of the legislature and nothing gets fixed. Fat Yinzer Corbett ****ed over public education in PA when all he had to fo is tax the frackers like they do in every state where they frack.
                        My side? I never said I was republican lol.

Comment

Comment

My side? I never said I was republican lol.
                            You sure sounded like one.

Comment

From my personal experience, grad school enrollment costs at Ball State University in Indiana for online programs are comparable, if not slightly lower, for non-Indiana residents than grad school costs at PASSHE schools are for in-state Pennsylvania residents. Regardless of party, that speaks volumes about the obstacles PASSHE is facing, especially with the long-standing "one-size fits all" tuition approaches that other states (ie. Ohio, West Virginia, Indiana) have eschewed.
                              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

From my personal experience, grad school enrollment costs at Ball State University in Indiana for online programs are comparable, if not slightly lower, for non-Indiana residents than grad school costs at PASSHE schools are for in-state Pennsylvania residents. Regardless of party, that speaks volumes about the obstacles PASSHE is facing, especially with the long-standing "one-size fits all" tuition approaches that other states (ie. Ohio, West Virginia, Indiana) have eschewed.
                                Same in my experience. Arizona State is charging the same rates as PASSHE.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X