Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LHU adding Women's Wrestling

I called this one a while back. Gannon, ESU and now Lock Haven have it. I'm looking for Bloom to add it and then others.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/21947

Comment

Re: LHU adding Women's Wrestling

How many females are wrestling on the high school level? I can't assume many?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Yes but its growing at a surprisingly rapid pace. I imagine the PIAA will vote on adding it within the next five years.

Comment

Yes, it's growing slowly. A number of schools around here fielded females in the low weights this year.

Gettysburg High has a very good wrestler named Montana Delawder, wrestled in districts at 119, I think. She's nationally ranked among females.

This got sidetracked in 2014 when the Roman Catholic Diocese in Harrisburg mandated that if one of its non-public schools was to face a female on the wrestling mat, the parochial male would have to forfeit the match. I don't know what adjustments have been made since.

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2014...harrisbur.html

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...hs/2349243002/

Comment

It's a natural thing for LHU to have women's wrestling. They had a fledgling program in the 2000's for several years. The first American Olympic medalist in Women's Wrestling was from LHU. Sara McMann won silver at the 2004 Olympics and became the first American woman to win an Olympic medal in the sport. She worked out with the men.

Here's a pretty cool video of Sara in the '04 Olympics.

Of course, this also helps men's sports for Title IX reasons. That's why Bloom will be next.
              Last edited by iupgroundhog; 05-23-2019, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                Yes, it's growing slowly. A number of schools around here fielded females in the low weights this year.

Gettysburg High has a very good wrestler named Montana Delawder, wrestled in districts at 119, I think. She's nationally ranked among females.

This got sidetracked in 2014 when the Roman Catholic Diocese in Harrisburg mandated that if one of its non-public schools was to face a female on the wrestling mat, the parochial male would have to forfeit the match. I don't know what adjustments have been made since.

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2014...harrisbur.html
                It's growing rapidly nationwide and the pre-eminent wrestling state of PA is behind the times. Not surprising. With NJ and MD making it a sanctioned sport PA will soon follow. These college programs will fuel the growth of girls' wrestling in PA.
                Last edited by iupgroundhog; 05-23-2019, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Can't see Bloom adding women's wrestling. They have a hard enough time recruiting for the men. High school wrestling seems to have fallen off, and it surely has affected the college product. In high school girls wrestle boys, maybe that is how it should be in college. If Bloom added a women's team, it should be rugby, since they have a good club team.

Comment

Well, if we close our eyes and just wish, maybe the PSAC will catch up to the men's lacrosse boom.

Nahhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                      Well, if we close our eyes and just wish, maybe the PSAC will catch up to the men's lacrosse boom.

Nahhhhhh.
                      They want to pretend like it doesn't exist.

Comment

Women can add whatever they want but guys have to make cuts every year b/c of the horrid title 9 crap!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                          Women can add whatever they want but guys have to make cuts every year b/c of the horrid title 9 crap!
                          You obviously don't have a daughter or care about fairness. Women are 60% of all college students. Before Title IX they were 10% of the opportunities to play collegiate sports. IUP is 58% women.
                          Last edited by Fightingscot82; 05-24-2019, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Another article.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/21957

There has been a lot of pressure from the women's side recently at Lock Haven (even though the women have a better situation at LH than most places.) More pending lawsuits, etc. Adding women's wrestling is a great response to that pressure. As I said, it helps the men's sports, too, in terms of Title IX.

The article above doesn't go into detail about what the men's coach (Scott Moore) really thinks. However, I know that Wrestling is a business in Lock Haven. Not only will LHU be a national leader in Womens Wrestling but there will be Camp opportunities. Revenue $$$.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                              You obviously don't have a daughter or care about fairness. Women are 60% of all college students. Before Title IX they were 10% of the opportunities to play collegiate sports. IUP is 58% women.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X