Clear All

• Marty Schaetzle Announces Retirement at the End of 2021 Season

https://hurstathletics.com/news/2021...21-season.aspx
    Starts
    07-21-2021
    Ends
    07-22-2021

From his Bio:

Over his first 18 seasons, Schaetzle has guided the Lakers to a 93-105 overall record and a 62-84 mark in conference play. Since Mercyhurst joined the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) in 2008, which ended a 13-year affiliation with the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC), Schaetzle and the Lakers have gone 72-62 overall and 44-44 against PSAC West foes.

Mediocrity at it's finest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
      From his Bio:

Over his first 18 seasons, Schaetzle has guided the Lakers to a 93-105 overall record and a 62-84 mark in conference play. Since Mercyhurst joined the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) in 2008, which ended a 13-year affiliation with the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC), Schaetzle and the Lakers have gone 72-62 overall and 44-44 against PSAC West foes.

How has he kept his job at Mercyhurst for so long with those much less than impressive numbers?
      Last edited by crixus; 07-22-2021, 07:25 PM.
      Western New Mexico Mustangs

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
        From his Bio:

He won one Pee Sack title in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

He won one Pee Sack title in 2010.
          That will keep you at the helm for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

How has he kept his job at Mercyhurst for so long with those much less than impressive numbers?
            Stability. He may also be cheap.

I think winning at the private schools in the PSAC is very difficult. They're recruiting with coupon codes in a region that is somewhat overvalued and overpopulated with programs offering partial scholarships. Plus not everyone is interested in a Catholic education and none of the three are considered destination student experiences. There's no rumor that Mercyhurst was once a Playboy top party school (almost every school has this rumor along with the dead roommate & get hit by a car myths).

Should be interesting to see what they do. I imagine the job is Ryan Riemedio's to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

That will keep you at the helm for a few years.

Comment

Marty was safe. Give or take .500-ish. No issues. Band plays on Homecoming. Blah blah blah.

I will say he had some very talented teams there in the past 5-6 years drastically underperform.

Comment

Take a timeout ... and relax.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Take a timeout ... and relax.

Comment

It was a pun to the famous retirement timeout walk-off.

Comment

It was a pun to the famous retirement timeout walk-off.

Comment

Marty was safe. Give or take .500-ish. No issues. Band plays on Homecoming. Blah blah blah.

I will say he had some very talented teams there in the past 5-6 years drastically underperform.
                          I agree. This sounds like a knock on Marty but he's pretty well-liked within the conference. I've never met him but have repeatedly been told he's a great guy.

Seeing what coaching turnover has done to Edinboro's program, I can see why they stuck by Marty and while the wins didn't always pile up as much as they could, stability is important. Marty has assisted on some decent fundraising for their programs. I also never sensed that he allowed young assistants to give his program an uncharacteristic attitude nor did he get stubborn playing an old-fashioned scheme. Safe and stabile has been good for Mercyhurst. His successor just needs to figure out how to get more players to choose the Chatham of Erie.

Comment

I had the opportunity to meet Marty a couple times. He is well respected by his players (they call him "The Man"). He may not have won more games and championships than some others but he has been consistent, had had some very successful players move on as coaches, front office personnel, and players, and is actually a part of Mercyhurst. I believe he will be very visible on campus and within the Mercyhurst family after he retires. He believes in what the school offers and the Catholic education. He has had opportunities to move on but is, and will continue to be part of the Mercyhurst community.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Stability. He may also be cheap.

I think winning at the private schools in the PSAC is very difficult. They're recruiting with coupon codes in a region that is somewhat overvalued and overpopulated with programs offering partial scholarships. Plus not everyone is interested in a Catholic education and none of the three are considered destination student experiences. There's no rumor that Mercyhurst was once a Playboy top party school (almost every school has this rumor along with the dead roommate & get hit by a car myths).

Should be interesting to see what they do. I imagine the job is Ryan Riemedio's to lose.
                              I think they should take a shot and open it up. They are at the top end of schollies in the PSAC, and could get an interesting hire.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X