Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cavalier 1 View Post

I think they should take a shot and open it up. They are at the top end of schollies in the PSAC, and could get an interesting hire.

According to the books, yes, you are correct. But, the privates scholarship numbers are a bit deceiving.

For example, how could high-scholarship Mercyhurst be nothing more but an average (usually at best) PSAC West team year after year? How can (wink) 5-scholarship West Chester be an elite PSAC East team year after year?

Why does Gannon technically have more scholarships than IUP and Slippery Rock ... but gets clobbered by IUP and Slippery Rock every time they play?

But, to your point, I think they'd be crazy not to open the job up. Never know who will show up.

Comment

Private schools offer a discount not money. PASSHE schools have that scholarship money sitting in a bank account waiting to be divvied up. The private "scholarships" are bigger because the starting point is artificially high. So Gannon doesn't think that much higher of your precious Suzie when they offer her a $20,000 scholarship versus IUP's $2,500. Someone gave IUP $2,500 to fund Suzie's scholarship, Gannon's offer is just a discount built into the budget. Its exactly like a car dealer pricing. So I imagine Gannon, Mercyhurst, and Seton Hill get some guys because the dollar amount they're offering sounds like so much more.

They have disadvantages too. After that football money tuition may be the same as the starting point for PASSHE. None of them have an impressive stadium. Mercyhurst's is the nicest of the three but Seton Hill uses the local high school field off campus and while Gannon has the nice indoor facility their field is really the astroturf version of an elementary school multipurpose room. All three are Catholic and not everyone is keen on that. Gannon and Mercyhurst are not diverse - 5% or less black students.

This isn't a knock on Marty's coaching but he's an old white guy. That only works if you're winning and have a young staff that identify with young kids. Kids are less likely to want to play for someone who is a grandpa.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
        From his Bio:

Over his first 18 seasons, Schaetzle has guided the Lakers to a 93-105 overall record and a 62-84 mark in conference play. Since Mercyhurst joined the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) in 2008, which ended a 13-year affiliation with the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC), Schaetzle and the Lakers have gone 72-62 overall and 44-44 against PSAC West foes.

Mediocrity at it's finest.
        Wow. Hate on the guy all you want. How long has your career lasted?! How many young men have learned from your wisdom?! How sorry of a human being are you?!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

According to the books, yes, you are correct. But, the privates scholarship numbers are a bit deceiving.

For example, how could high-scholarship Mercyhurst be nothing more but an average (usually at best) PSAC West team year after year? How can (wink) 5-scholarship West Chester be an elite PSAC East team year after year?

Why does Gannon technically have more scholarships than IUP and Slippery Rock ... but gets clobbered by IUP and Slippery Rock every time they play?

But, to your point, I think they'd be crazy not to open the job up. Never know who will show up.
          Recruiting and Coaching. I would guess. Gannon in particular has been a revolving door who just hired from within an average program.

Comment

Recruiting and Coaching. I would guess. Gannon in particular has been a revolving door who just hired from within an average program.
            I forgive Gannon hiring Raeburn. He had only been on staff for a year before being hired. He's had a lot of success as a DIII head coach. Hopefully he hired someone who knows how to manage the coupon code budget.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Wow. Hate on the guy all you want. How long has your career lasted?! How many young men have learned from your wisdom?! How sorry of a human being are you?!
              Are those records not mediocre? Average?

Go take a valium and calm down Karen, my career is going just fine thanks for asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Are those records not mediocre? Average?

Go take a valium and calm down Karen, my career is going just fine thanks for asking.

I suppose it's what the school wanted for the program. Obviously, at Mercyhurst, winning wasn't first and foremost. At IUP, Rock or Shepherd, a coach with that record would have been canned long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I suppose it's what the school wanted for the program. Obviously, at Mercyhurst, winning wasn't first and foremost. At IUP, Rock or Shepherd, a coach with that record would have been canned long ago.
                  Totally get it, and by all accounts from those who have posted he seems like a great man. Doesn't change his record though.

Comment

regarding marty being an "old white guy" and kids not wanting to play for someone like that. It seems to me, if I remember correctly, there have been a lot of "older" college coaches who have had success. But hey, who only wants diversity especially in college if its not your diversity. On the other hand, I can see the appeal of a young guy who is unproven selling a program like a used car. Talk a lot of bells and whistles, print out nice name tags for recruiting days, even donuts, not Little Debbies in the wrapper (a whole 'nother recruiting story) at the meet and greet. Marty's record could have been better and maybe the next guy will improve things. As far as "coupon codes" go for scholarships, I have a kid who played at our local hs and plays for a private school in the psac who pays $1800 per year for college and to play DII football. Coupon Code or Scholarship...he's still only paying $1800 per year for tuition, room, and board

Comment

There are .400 and .500 coaches in every PSAC sport who will be able to hold their positions as long as they like. Their administration likes them, their student-athletes don't flunk out and they don't create controversy. That's all.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                        There are .400 and .500 coaches in every PSAC sport who will be able to hold their positions as long as they like. Their administration likes them, their student-athletes don't flunk out and they don't create controversy. That's all.

Comment

I think they should take a shot and open it up. They are at the top end of schollies in the PSAC, and could get an interesting hire.
                          Any word on who and when they are interviewing???

Comment

Any word on who and when they are interviewing???
                            They'll wait until the end of the season. Probably offer someone on staff the interim tag. Most likely the DC who has every possible tag but head coach but I also wouldn't be surprised if they tap Tom Herman since he has HC experience. I always wondered if Herman was sticking around for the day Marty departs but Herman is now 70 and may consider going out with Marty.

Comment

Interviewed Marty once: "If we bring our B+ game we should win"

Comment

Originally posted by RocknTheSnackBar View Post
                                Interviewed Marty once: "If we bring our B+ game we should win"
                                Did he have any other comments about playing Cheyney?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X