Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The saddest thing for CAL U fans is that ADAMSON Field is an almost perfect spot for D2 level tailgating and not nearly enough people show up. Good size parking field, several picnic shelters surrounded by well maintained grassy fields should be a natural draw. Although it's a couple miles from campus, shuttle buses run on a regular basis to Vulcan Village which is right next to the stadium and houses 700+ students. And since there's an +80% chance of seeing a W, it's truly frustrating to try and figure out what else could be done. Living in NYC, visits to the valley are not frequent enough for me to speak to the drinking side of it, but whatever one's opinion of Dr Armenti's methods, it is undeniable that he made that section of the campus much nicer and more accessible.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
      The saddest thing for CAL U fans is that ADAMSON Field is an almost perfect spot for D2 level tailgating and not nearly enough people show up. Good size parking field, several picnic shelters surrounded by well maintained grassy fields should be a natural draw. Although it's a couple miles from campus, shuttle buses run on a regular basis to Vulcan Village which is right next to the stadium and houses 700+ students. And since there's an +80% chance of seeing a W, it's truly frustrating to try and figure out what else could be done. Living in NYC, visits to the valley are not frequent enough for me to speak to the drinking side of it, but whatever one's opinion of Dr Armenti's methods, it is undeniable that he made that section of the campus much nicer and more accessible.
      Could be different nowadays but Cal was really a suitcase school for years and years. It would be a ghost town on weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
        Bloom's Rules:

(Orange Lot) adjacent to softball outfield.
        but can last no later than two hours following the conclusion ofthe game.
        halftime, and one hour following the conclusion of the game.No alcohol can be consumed during game play.transport, or store alcoholic beverages (must have I.D. available at all times)
        alcoholic beverages must be offered.
        any tailgating event
        made of plastic or like substance. No visible cans or bottles.No glass allowed at tailgate.
        strictly prohibited (beer pong, beer funnels, etc.).
        noise, language, etc.
        All tailgate passes include two parking spaces but only admittance for one vehicle.TAILGATE POLICIES
        not permitted by anyone unless they have the proper University approval to do so
        hookups available.

additional amenities, grills, furniture, etc., must be used within the allotted space.
        area following the conclusion of each tailgate.

but those vehicles will have to purchase enough spots to fit properly. Call or email to confirm.
        tailgate areas.
        agency reserves the right to remove any individual or group who fails to abide by these guidelines, are deemed unruly, or are not abiding by the spirit of tailgating in the BU Community.
        anyone who fails to follow these policies.FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL (570) 389-3907

AKA... no fun zone, please don't come to the game!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Could be different nowadays but Cal was really a suitcase school for years and years. It would be a ghost town on weekends.
          We'd all be surprised how many Penn State kids go home most weekends. It's another generational thing. To me it's money wasted. But free laundry at home. Family and friends at home. Job at home. I saw it at RMU. Kids would go home every weekend to Bethel Park or Plum. Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

We'd all be surprised how many Penn State kids go home most weekends. It's another generational thing. To me it's money wasted. But free laundry at home. Family and friends at home. Job at home. I saw it at RMU. Kids would go home every weekend to Bethel Park or Plum. Why?
            Not everyone is into the weekend college social life thing. Since I was 5 hours from home, it was never an option for me. I think every weekend is excessive but once a month for a break is probably a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

AKA... no fun zone, please don't come to the game!
              Did I mention it cost 45 dollars a game to park there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post

Did I mention it cost 45 dollars a game to park there.
                That's cheap. I think a 'tailgate spot' at Miller Stadium costs $65 per game.

Comment

That's cheap. I think a 'tailgate spot' at Miller Stadium costs $65 per game.
                  Completely asinine. $45-65 maybe for a motorhome area or a lot with several spaces per tailgate. If you charge, it should be $10. $20 max. Its okay to make money over it - you'll have to cover the cost of additional garbage pickup, police coverage, etc. - but you also don't want to budget for these things then have the cost make it fail.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Completely asinine. $45-65 maybe for a motorhome area or a lot with several spaces per tailgate. If you charge, it should be $10. $20 max. Its okay to make money over it - you'll have to cover the cost of additional garbage pickup, police coverage, etc. - but you also don't want to budget for these things then have the cost make it fail.

Well, at least in regard to IUP's situation, the expensive spots accomplished what they wanted to accomplish.

1) It pleased the 40-60 year-old crowd who was pushing for it.
                    2) It's too expensive for the students to have any interest
                    3) It's almost exclusively an older crowd in the lot so students don't seem to have much excitement toward it.
                    4) After two years of permitting it, IUP hasn't had any negative situations arise in the lot. The last thing in the world they wanted was some IUPatties-type chaos to break loose (it is IUP, after all).

The only negative event I've seen over the two years was the 2018 Homecoming game against SRU. Now, the team certainly played a factor. IUP came out and got run over in the first half. Then came a weather delay. Add the two together and the home side was empty in the second half -- but, the lot was booming. Of course, IUP made a massive comeback and should have won the game in the end but couldn't get a stop on 4th-and-7. I think they need to take a PSU approach and not permit tailgating while the game is being played.

Overall, it's been good for IUP. The core audience here isn't students. So, it's been a win-win for the bulk of IUP's fan base and for IUP.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

My satellite view of RAM STADIUM doesn't seem to show much in the way of parking space except Lots B,C and K which don't look huge. What am I missing ?
                        There is a good bit of parking on the west side of campus, but a decent walk to the stadium (free parking too I think). The east side closer to the stadium, are paid for and have a great atmosphere in the mornings of games for tailgating. Lots B, C and F are the ones permitted for alcohol (Lot F circles around the butcher center, it's a huge lot). Think its $20 for parking in lots B and C, but might have that wrong.

https://shepherdrams.com/documents/2...arking_Map.pdf

https://shepherdrams.com/news/2009/2...?path=football

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

There is a good bit of parking on the west side of campus, but a decent walk to the stadium (free parking too I think). The east side closer to the stadium, are paid for and have a great atmosphere in the mornings of games for tailgating. Lots B, C and F are the ones permitted for alcohol (Lot F circles around the butcher center, it's a huge lot). Think its $20 for parking in lots B and C, but might have that wrong.

https://shepherdrams.com/documents/2...arking_Map.pdf

https://shepherdrams.com/news/2009/2...?path=football
                          So game day is pretty much a campus wide event...sweet !!!

Comment

My current idea of pre game tailgating at IUP.

Stay at the Hilton Gardens.

Have a pre game cocktail and appetizer at the lobby bar.

Walk the 500 feet over to the The Cig for the game.

:-)

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                              My current idea of pre game tailgating at IUP.

Stay at the Hilton Gardens.

Have a pre game cocktail and appetizer at the lobby bar.

Walk the 500 feet over to the The Cig for the game.

:-)

The Hilton packs them in before and after basketball games.

I think IUP took a baby steps approach to tailgating. Obviously, they don't want the Alpha Beta Fraternity to roll down there with 19 cars and 5 kegs. Hence, the extremely high parking price in that lot. Sure, students can still come down there with their own coolers and just join the party. But, the average age in that lot is probably 50 years old, so, again, not real appealing to the student body. And, of course, let's remember that very few IUP students attend many games -- especially after the first or second one. They don't want a circus down there. It would turn in to a weekly outdoor frat party and the kids wouldn't go to the games.

I kind of thought by now they'd be selling beer inside the stadium. The KCAC has been for years during basketball games. Most D1 football games sell beer now.

Comment

The Hilton packs them in before and after basketball games.

I think IUP took a baby steps approach to tailgating. Obviously, they don't want the Alpha Beta Fraternity to roll down there with 19 cars and 5 kegs. Hence, the extremely high parking price in that lot. Sure, students can still come down there with their own coolers and just join the party. But, the average age in that lot is probably 50 years old, so, again, not real appealing to the student body. And, of course, let's remember that very few IUP students attend many games -- especially after the first or second one. They don't want a circus down there. It would turn in to a weekly outdoor frat party and the kids wouldn't go to the games.

I kind of thought by now they'd be selling beer inside the stadium. The KCAC has been for years during basketball games. Most D1 football games sell beer now.
                                Pretty sure there are alcohol sales in parts of Ram Stadium as well, think it may be for the booster part only though. There is also a section next to the visitors side that get rented out that might be BYOB as well.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X