Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

IUP dropped like a rock after an undermanned IUP lost to your team.
    SRU kind of became 'media darlings' the past couple seasons. That is probably carrying over to these types of polls. As we saw in the unofficial SR1 rankings posted, they are coming in around 10th in SR1.

Not a soul on here can tell me SRU should be ranked ahead of Kutztown or IUP -- and state any kind of actual case to justify it.

Comment

Who cares about these polls. The region ranking are what matters. GO IUP!!!

Comment

Most coaches at this level are pretty regional. Few know much about SD Mines or Arkansas Tech if they've spent most of their career in the PSAC, so no offense to the AFCA coaches but they're most likely to go off of reputation, especially with the preseason poll. Naturally that should help Cal, IUP, Shepherd, and Slippery Rock.

With the D2football.com poll, the guys who write for this site are passionate about D2 football and I would assume would be more informed about what's going on in D2 football beyond the conference they cover. IIRC, there are two "national" votes in Brandon & Bob Eblen. What hurts us this year is that without a PSAC columnist, the conference lacks a more informed vote. I trust Brandon & Bob as well as some others to know what's going on in the PSAC (for example, the SAC columnist is a Bloom grad & former PSAC columnist).

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

IUP dropped like a rock after an undermanned IUP lost to your team.
          Well, they did get whooped.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

SRU kind of became 'media darlings' the past couple seasons. That is probably carrying over to these types of polls. As we saw in the unofficial SR1 rankings posted, they are coming in around 10th in SR1.

Not a soul on here can tell me SRU should be ranked ahead of Kutztown or IUP -- and state any kind of actual case to justify it.
            I agree. I personally think the current hierarchy of the conference is like this:

1. IUP- seem to be hitting their stride and Harry has the offense moving. Good time to be peaking.
            2. Kutztown- If not for a ridiculous pick 6 by a DL, probably are undefeated.
            3. Shepherd- Going through the motions at times since that tough start to the season. Big game this week with WC.
            4. California- Will get their first test of the season this week.
            5. Rock- Bad game or exposed? They have 2 chances to prove it was just a bad game to end the season and keep playoff hopes alive.

As long as Kutztown and IUP hold serve, they get round 2 in the championship. Both teams I think are in the playoffs regardless of the outcome of that game. If Shepherd can get by WC, and then it looks like Rock/Shepherd will be the de facto 2nd place championship game and will be the 3rd and likely final playoff participant from the PSAC. Cal can certainly throw a wrench into that perception, but I'm taking the wait and see with them pending their result with IUP this weekend.

Comment

The actual regional rankings would look entirely different.
              Welcome to every poll ever. Why this is a constant issue every single year is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by Iupgh View Post
                I use to think the Afca poll was legit
                Wut. Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I agree. I personally think the current hierarchy of the conference is like this:

1. IUP- seem to be hitting their stride and Harry has the offense moving. Good time to be peaking.
                  2. Kutztown- If not for a ridiculous pick 6 by a DL, probably are undefeated.
                  3. Shepherd- Going through the motions at times since that tough start to the season. Big game this week with WC.
                  4. California- Will get their first test of the season this week.
                  5. Rock- Bad game or exposed? They have 2 chances to prove it was just a bad game to end the season and keep playoff hopes alive.

As long as Kutztown and IUP hold serve, they get round 2 in the championship. Both teams I think are in the playoffs regardless of the outcome of that game. If Shepherd can get by WC, and then it looks like Rock/Shepherd will be the de facto 2nd place championship game and will be the 3rd and likely final playoff participant from the PSAC. Cal can certainly throw a wrench into that perception, but I'm taking the wait and see with them pending their result with IUP this weekend.

I reviewed Cal pretty closely for the first time this year.

They are tough to get a read on right now ... much like SRU was last week at this time. On the surface, sure, they have fancy stats. But -- big but -- their level of competition has been awful (12-29 combined record. Had the Clarion game not been cancelled, that would have been 12-36.

Further, they have single-digit wins (at) Fairmont State and (at) Edinboro. Edinboro got a score with 3 mins left to cut the deficit.

I've heard a few call their defense 'great' ... maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. That can't be said yet either way. The best offense they've faced this year was Gannon. GU is decent but nothing special. Yes, they've pitched three shutouts -- Millersville, Lock Haven and Mercyhurst. Not exactly offensive juggernauts but nonetheless it's still hard to put up the goose egg. But, to use the word 'great' ... we need to see more against teams that can actually punch back.

Oddly, Cal is only running for 77 ypg. They are passing for 325 ypg. The stat inside the stat there is despite 77 ypg on the ground, their season total Time of Possession is +10 mpg. Granted, a lot of that has to do with the abysmal offenses they've faced.

The question entering the game is how will the Cal defense hold up against the suddenly red hot IUP offense? IUP -- with a now-healthy and improving defense -- will also be the strongest unit the Vulcans have seen.

Slippery Rock hadn't played a good team and it was very obvious within minutes of the first quarter last week. They looked shell-shocked in the first quarter -- especially offensively. When you're in Week 8 and you haven't really been tested yet ... hard to say how a team will respond to adversity. That's a big advantage for IUP in this game. They've been through this circus three times already this year. This is Cal's first 'big' game of the season -- and, it's on the road.

They may come off the 'bye' and look tremendous. Other teams come out of a bye looking sloppy. We'll find out soon enough.

Comment

Nothing to do with IUP. How is Kutztown getting no love in either poll? D1 polls seem to make sense and get taken seriously. These are just pretty bad. How often do you ever see a D1 team ranked No. 5 in one poll and No. 20 in the other? Not too often.

How can Kutztown possibly be behind SRU? It makes not a wink of sense. How can IUP possibly be behind SRU? It makes not a wink of sense. It just loses all credibility for the polls.
                    I'm basically a lurker here, but to answer this specific question about Kutztown - they don't have brand recognition. Right or wrong, that matters in these polls.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                      Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Well, they did get whooped.
                        So did Slimey Pebble. Even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                          Agreed ... BUT, they shouldn't be this jacked up by Oct. 19. It's that bad.

Week 1 is understandable.

Comment

This is Cal's first 'big' game of the season -- and, it's on the road.

They may come off the 'bye' and look tremendous. Other teams come out of a bye looking sloppy. We'll find out soon enough.
                            Having watched the first six games, I'll say straight up that the VULCANS will be sloppy but it has little if anything to do with the week off. In no particular order you will see 1) no running game 2) dropped passes 3) missed receivers who are wide open and 4) play calls that take so long to develop they get easily blown up.
                            It will become very clear by halftime that the glitzy 6-0 is a sham and yet the team will likely end the season at 8-2 and have an outside shot at the PO depending on what other teams do.
                            I absolutely wish none of this is true, but I'll be amazed if I'm proven wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                              Having watched the first six games, I'll say straight up that the VULCANS will be sloppy but it has little if anything to do with the week off. In no particular order you will see 1) no running game 2) dropped passes 3) missed receivers who are wide open and 4) play calls that take so long to develop they get easily blown up.
                              It will become very clear by halftime that the glitzy 6-0 is a sham and yet the team will likely end the season at 8-2 and have an outside shot at the PO depending on what other teams do.
                              I absolutely wish none of this is true, but I'll be amazed if I'm proven wrong.
                              This Cal team reminds me a bit of the 2016 Edinboro team that went from 0-11 to 9-2. Finding ways to win but will struggle against better teams. The weak SOS will probably keep Cal out of the playoffs and spare any possible embarassment.

Comment

Does anyone know when the regional rankings come out?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X