Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I think Ray Monica is a solid hire. Guy knows the PSAC, I just wonder what kind of staff he can put together and can he recruit western PA. He's got a solid resume. Coached under Bobby Wallace at North Alabama and Temple. I don't think Kutztown would be where it is now if not for Ray Monica. I think he ran into a turd sandwich situation at Arkansas Tech. He is a sitting FCS defensive coordinator so the guy knows what he's talking about.

My opinion for Clarion is similar to Lock Haven - you need a young energetic hungry coach who is willing to take on all the extra work necessary. Preferably a black coach. Monica isn't that but he knows what it takes to win this conference because he has.
    I agree. I think he will be good for Clarion and actually a great addition to the PSAC West. He's got a strong background, I'm sure he can leverage his connections and he knows the ropes. Plus, at this stage of his career, he's got nothing to lose. I don't think Clarion could have done better than Ray Monica.

Comment

• Any idea who the other finalists were?

Comment

I think Ray Monica is a solid hire. Guy knows the PSAC, I just wonder what kind of staff he can put together and can he recruit western PA.
        I don't think he needs to focus on Western PA. The competition there might be too much. I think the way to build from where they are now is to go outside of the region. Look at your own Scots' Fla. connection. Boro's recruiting wouldn't be looking too good without that Florida connection, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I agree. I think he will be good for Clarion and actually a great addition to the PSAC West. He's got a strong background, I'm sure he can leverage his connections and he knows the ropes. Plus, at this stage of his career, he's got nothing to lose. I don't think Clarion could have done better than Ray Monica.
          As for going young, they can look to groom that person for the future. For the immediate short term, I think Monica fits the bill. I don't think the program has time to bring in a young guy and wait for his learning curve to take shape.

Comment

• Originally posted by PSAC Statman View Post
            Sorry, I get what all of you are saying.....I just don't think 60 year old PSAC retreads is what Clarion needed. This just looks like an online search, no connections to anything......and when you do that you get what you get......so yes, I am unimpressed.
            Graduated High school in 1985, so if he was 18 then that would put him at 53/54 now. Plenty in the tank. Cheer up buttercup. I think with the obvious turmoil that program had during this Covid era, a young hot shot coach was a huge risk.

Comment

As for going young, they can look to groom that person for the future. For the immediate short term, I think Monica fits the bill. I don't think the program has time to bring in a young guy and wait for his learning curve to take shape.
              A bit of luck in the PSAC '22 schedule. If their OOC opener is @LEC, the GOLDEN EAGLES have a good chance to have a positive record by the time they hit the Big 3. The PSAC schedule is Bloom, @LHU and vs GANNON before CAL U shows up at Memorial Stadium on 10/1. With reasonable luck they could be 3-1 or 2-2 at that point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Graduated High school in 1985, so if he was 18 then that would put him at 53/54 now. Plenty in the tank. Cheer up buttercup. I think with the obvious turmoil that program had during this Covid era, a young hot shot coach was a huge risk.
                A young, hotshot could do well for a year and take the first bus out of town. I'll 'assume' this could be Monica's last job. So, they get a long ride out of him (if it works).

Comment

I don't think he needs to focus on Western PA. The competition there might be too much. I think the way to build from where they are now is to go outside of the region. Look at your own Scots' Fla. connection. Boro's recruiting wouldn't be looking too good without that Florida connection, IMO.
                  I don't know. Over the years, Weibel tried bringing in some kids from Florida and it didn't pan out for one reason or another.

Clarion is in a strange situation. It's relatively close to Pittsburgh, but it feels like it's a million miles away. There's nothing north, northeast and east of it. It's somewhat close to Erie, but it would be a hard sell to get recruits to drive past three other PSAC programs to get to Clarion. These things are not obstacles if you have either a history of success or a lot of scholarship money, and Clarion has neither. Throw in the uncertain future of the university, and you have quite the uphill climb.

Before you ask, I don't have an answer.
                  http://www.indianagazette.com
                  www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I don't know. Over the years, Weibel tried bringing in some kids from Florida and it didn't pan out for one reason or another.

Clarion is in a strange situation. It's relatively close to Pittsburgh, but it feels like it's a million miles away. There's nothing north, northeast and east of it. It's somewhat close to Erie, but it would be a hard sell to get recruits to drive past three other PSAC programs to get to Clarion. These things are not obstacles if you have either a history of success or a lot of scholarship money, and Clarion has neither. Throw in the uncertain future of the university, and you have quite the uphill climb.

Before you ask, I don't have an answer.
                    Just trying to be positive about it. I didn't mean Florida specifically but does he have connections in SE and SC PA after coaching at Temple and Ktown for 15 years? Out of state connections? Transfer connections? Can he recruit in Ohio?

Also, I would think the Clarion coach will have to sell the triad concept e.g. You can take 75% of your classes online! Some semesters you won't even see a classroom.

Comment

Just trying to be positive about it. I didn't mean Florida specifically but does he have connections in SE and SC PA after coaching at Temple and Ktown for 15 years? Out of state connections? Transfer connections? Can he recruit in Ohio?

Also, I would think the Clarion coach will have to sell the triad concept e.g. You can take 75% of your classes online! Some semesters you won't even see a classroom.
                      Works for some PSAC basketball teams.

Comment

He better sell that well. Because, frankly, I think that would suck.

Comment

Works for some PSAC basketball teams.
                          LOL ... not sure SRU players even knew they were students for the past decade before Grady took over.

Comment

• What's interesting is that Kutztown's low-water mark for scholarships since 2000 was Monica's first season (5.89) and its high-water mark was his final season (9.49).
                            http://www.indianagazette.com
                            www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

He was a finalist for the IUP job when Curt Cignetti got it.

Yep. Ray Monica is a great hire. Must of missed PA

Comment

• Originally posted by RockNation View Post

Yep. Ray Monica is a great hire. Must of missed PA
                                He's doing a pretty good job at FCS Southeastern Louisiana University as their DL/DC.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X